Formula One 2020

Lineker

Russell's lead is dropping fairly significantly every lap with his engine issue :(

Meanwhile Perez is driving incredibly. Love that he asked permission to pass Stroll, didn't hear anything, so just did it.

Oh fuck. The guy cannot catch a break. He didn't even need to pit.

What a race. It was already excellent before Mercedes totally boned it for both of their drivers. I expect Russell will lose those couple of points to a penalty as well.

What a day for Sergio Perez though. 10 years in the sport and finally a victory. He better get back on the grid sharpish because he is a talented driver and deserves a competitive seat.

Ocon in 2nd as well. Superb.

4 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

George in the points. Thank God for that.

Sure would be nice for Sainz to get past Stroll.

Depends if he gets a penalty for going out on Bottas' tyres.

1 minute ago, Bobfoc said:

How silly it is to think that Perez doesn't have a seat for next year. The politics of racing are annoying.

If Red Bull carry on with Albon next year over him, they should delete the team.

I think George might get some leeway because it was under a safety car and they immediately pitted him. He didn’t gain any advantage. I hope so.

Also, fuck yeah Checo. I hope they don’t send Stroll Sr up to the podium with him.

Drive to Survive were following George this weekend as well, so that's going to be worth a watch.

So happy for Checo. Wish he'd slapped Daddy Stroll instead of high-fiving him though, he wouldn't be in the situation of not having a drive if it wasn't for Stroll dropping him after Checo saved the team from going under.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gazz said:

Depends if he gets a penalty for going out on Bottas' tyres.

If Red Bull carry on with Albon next year over him, they should delete the team.

Apparently the rule is you get a penalty if you do more than 3 laps on the wrong tyres so he should avoid a penalty. 

"It was a colossal fuck-up" - Toto, live on Sky :lol:

So it was George's usual car that crashed to cause the safety car, and the debris from that car that caused the puncture. Anything with the Williams name seems insistent on holding him back.

Mercedes fined €20,000 for the tyre mix-up, but Russell keeps the points. Apparently the confusion was that they were expecting Bottas in first and the radio transmission from the wall to the pit lane to say it was Russell first had some interference.

Perez has every right to stand up on the podium and give everyone a massive middle finger, but he is just way too nice a guy to do that. I shed a tear when he won. The way he passed Stroll, gained the lead, then won 10 seconds ahead of everyone else, what an incredible drive.

• Like 1

I've got to admit I was a bit annoyed with Perez at the start because he was the only person to stay in out of his little tangle with Verstappen and Leclerc and I was worried that those two going out early might harm our chances of an entertaining race. But fortunately the race still pretty entertaining and Perez did great. He  got lucky from various pitting fiascos for Sainz and the two Mercedes, but I guess he deserved a bit of luck after last week.

I do wonder how Lawrence Stroll feels about the whole thing. I'm sure he's happy his team won, but the reason he has the team is for his son to be successful, instead he's getting out-raced by Perez every time, and the guy who they're replacing Perez with is theoretically better than Checo based on past success.

Lance's reaction in the interview afterwards seemed pretty interesting, he seemed annoyed that Perez had won instead of him rather than happy for the team and Checo. I'm thinking that radio silence after Perez asked permission to pass Stroll is more telling than it seems.

• Like 2