Sony Megathread 2021

Don't die on the hill of HDR - most games don't do a good job implementing it, and honestly you have to go pretty high spec to get the most of of it.

I have a 4K tv - but at this point I always prefer to play on my cheaper and better looking 4K monitor. Way better refresh rate and HDR at a fraction of the cost.

8 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

What exactly is HDR and how do I know if my TV has it? Is it that thing that makes tv shows look like they are 60fps and it weirds me out?

It's High Dynamic Range and it has to do with colour more than it does framerate. It's supposed to provide better contrast and more accurate colours in combination with other features of higher end televisions and monitors. It's supposed to make visuals more realistic and accurate.

Anyone have a third party PS4 controller they can recommend? The one that my PS shipped with is starting to go south, but I don't want to play 70 fuckin bucks for a replacement if there's something just as good.

41 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

Anyone have a third party PS4 controller they can recommend? The one that my PS shipped with is starting to go south, but I don't want to play 70 fuckin bucks for a replacement if there's something just as good.

What is wearing out? With a few tools and YouTube guides you could replace nearly anything on it.

That is bound to be cheaper than any first or third party controller. And having fixed a few PS4 controllers, it's quite fool proof unless it would require soldering, which is not a common thing.

22 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Now do I get the FF7 upgrade for free? I owned it digitally on PS4 but the only option I see here just said download so I am downloading it now

I had it digital as well on PS4, I got the upgrade for free. It should be a separate thing to download. Are you getting the DLC? Because it is awesome!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JasonM said:

What is wearing out? With a few tools and YouTube guides you could replace nearly anything on it.

That is bound to be cheaper than any first or third party controller. And having fixed a few PS4 controllers, it's quite fool proof unless it would require soldering, which is not a common thing.

The battery, for one.

On 10/10/2021 at 11:56, Maxx said:

Not really a monitor situation, as I’m looking for a TV for my new living room.

Did you ever find a TV? I just bought a TCL 55” 4K UHD Roku Smart TV a few hours ago.

3 hours ago, OctoberRaven said:

The battery, for one.

You can get a replacement battery for around 10 dollars on Ebay, from the cursory glance I did. No de-assembly (beyond opening the case) required, just a case of plugging in a new one and closing it up.

Guide: https://ifixit.com/Guide/DualShock+4+Battery+Replacement/22074

Ebay: Link (1000mah LIP1522 are the original types, but there are higher capacity third party alternatives if battery life is a thing you want to improve.)

Game in the UK have some Ps5s in stock on their website right now. Mostly digitial, but there's some standard ones as part of bundles. Gonna try and grab one with Miles Morales Spiderman and Ghosts of Tsushima

EDIT: Bah, sold out with 10 mins of queueing left. 

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, tristy said:

Did you ever find a TV? I just bought a TCL 55” 4K UHD Roku Smart TV a few hours ago.

Ordered a 65" TCL R646.  It's got some issues, but they don't appear to be anything that I can't work around, if they affect me at all.  Was tempted to give a Hisense a try since they have a 100 day trial period, but I saw almost nothing positive regarding their customer support. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JasonM said:

You can get a replacement battery for around 10 dollars on Ebay, from the cursory glance I did. No de-assembly (beyond opening the case) required, just a case of plugging in a new one and closing it up.

Guide: https://ifixit.com/Guide/DualShock+4+Battery+Replacement/22074

Ebay: Link (1000mah LIP1522 are the original types, but there are higher capacity third party alternatives if battery life is a thing you want to improve.)

I'd rather just get a replacement while the original is still operational than worry about fucking up the original and leaving my dad with nothing to use while the replacement comes.

Especially with shipping times being the clusterfuck they are r/n.