Sony Megathread 2023

Bobfoc

The new PS Plus service has launched in Asia, and it's sounding like a PR disaster. Existing Plus subscribers get no discount when upgrading, with stacked memberships requiring the full price to move to other tiers. In practice, this means that you'd either have to stick with the basic Plus plan for the duration of your subscription or pay the full amount for another tier, essentially meaning that you're paying twice.

Furthermore, if you want to upgrade, you have to pay for as much of the new membership as you have left on your old one. For example, if you have two years left on your previous Plus subscription, you would have to pay for two years of Plus Premium as well. There's no way to convert from, say a year of standard Plus to eight months of Premium.

If that weren't enough, if you previously bought a Plus subscription from the Playstation Store at a promotional discount, that gets wiped out. Therefore, even if you paid for a year of Plus at 25% off, that saving won't carry over to the new system.

There are also only 269 games available on the service right now, a far cry from the 700+ Sony has promised.

• Like 1

I thought they'd already suspended the 'stacking', and new subscribers entirely for that matter, within the last few months? And implemented some sort of tiered upgrade system where you'd get a fraction of your time back depending on how far up the ladder you went? Like, say if you had 1 year of basic PS+, you'd get 138 days of the top tier new serivce, or something.

I remember it being all the rage for that couple of days on Twitter when the new service was announced and everyone was filling their boots by re-upping for several years worth of PS Now until Sony basically said 'Right, you can all cut that out' and closed the loophole. So maybe it's just a regional difference or they've just changed their mind?

GPU Drops claimed my local Best Buy now have a PS5 in stock in their back inventory (often times a pre-order that expired the day before) and that the data is refreshed daily.

Swung by at lunch, greeted by a big sign saying PS5 is not available at that location.  Went to the desk, asked if there was any in inventory and showed the listing on the site.  Got looked at like I had three heads.  They went back to "check" and nope.  Walked out PS5-less as I figured I would.

Whatever, was worth a shot.  Always figured those sites were either bogus or not as up to date as claimed.  Also if I worked at a place like that and suddenly had a one-off PS5 to sell in the backroom I'd 100% be setting it aside for a buddy.

Kinda would rather wait til I can get one off of Amazon anyway.  I mean fuck Amazon but I've got like $400 in store credit from having gift cards thrown at me for a good 6-7 years now between family and work.

That sucks, damn. Keep an eye out for your email, PS Direct have been doing more frequent drops on their website as of late apparently.

It's wild to me that you can just buy a Series X off of Microsoft's website right now, and have been able to for the past two weeks. I know PS5 is the more "in demand" console, but still. There was a time when none of these things were available.

PS5 availability is definitely getting better from what I've heard. I'd definitely just recommend following accounts like @mattswider who can help with the online availability. Through him I found a Best Buy drop where I wound up getting mine. And Sony definitely frees up inventory on its end as well from time to time.

For those who didn't know, this is happening later today. It's going to last about 30 minutes and will show some PSVR2 games and third-party titles. While it's not a full blowout, it's officially part of Geoff Keighley's Summer GameFest not E3 thing.

Square apparently has a full FF16 trailer ready to show, so it won't be long now. They said they'll show something for 7 Remake at some point this year too. For today, you'd think that 16 is the more likely of the two.

24 minutes ago, Ruki said:

I'm hoping for some Final Fantasy news. I'll take 7R2 or 16. Just gimmie.

Instead explain to me how you beat the boss at the end of 7R1 so I can finally finish that shit. 

3 hours ago, LL! said:

Instead explain to me how you beat the boss at the end of 7R1 so I can finally finish that shit. 

By attacking it until it's hit points reached 0? Which boss are you referring?

2 hours ago, Ruki said:

By attacking it until it's hit points reached 0? Which boss are you referring?

The multilevel one with the demons and Sephiroth. Show your work.