Sony Megathread 2023

Bobfoc

On 09/03/2022 at 18:08, Ruki Returns said:

Nothing too crazy. I think I'll finally try out the Strangers of Paradise demo. 

I didn't like it! Combat was fine, I like the concept of the story (retelling FF1)... but the execution seems less than great. Cheesy acting, loot dropping every 5 seconds, doesn't look like it offers much other than dungeon crawling.

Hoping you guys can help me out because I have no idea how to research it.

If I'm interested in both Horizon Forbidden West and Tiny Tina's Wonderlands which do you think might go on sale first? Is there a pattern of either company reducing prices quicker?

The original Horizon reached the point where if you sneezed in the vicinity of a PS4 you'd get a free copy of it, and in general Sony studio games get reduced to a really great price eventually - but I'm unsure of how long that actually takes. Tiny Tina is out in a week, so it's not like they released suuuuper far apart. Looking at Borderlands 3, it got its first decent sale in 3 months but that's also because the 3 month mark was December. So hard call really.

• Thanks 1

I was so incredibly hyped for Forbidden West, but then the Cyberpunk PS5 version dropped (and it's not bad!), WWE 2K22 came out, and I've discovered a game called ANNO: Mutationem that releases in two hours and I'll most likely buy. I'll get to Horizon again eventually, but I was honestly waiting on some patches to be pushed out to fix a few things. And since launch, I think they've released like... three patches? So it might be time to jump back into it, probably.

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to write more. I've decided to start with a review of Horizon Forbidden West. Maybe @Your Mom will find it helpful? 😅

https://probablyoliver.wordpress.com/2022/03/17/horizon-forbidden-west-review/

Great read thanks! You helped convince me that while I still want to try it I am for sure going to wait maybe even longer than I originally planned

FOKNoTLXsAkJ5uK.jpg

Serious Crime Drama.

So I finished Horizon Forbidden West and I was kinda underwhelmed by the whole experience.

Spoiler

The most interesting thing about Zero Dawn for me was uncovering the history of the "ancient ones". I did all the tribe-related quests because I knew they would eventually lead me to find out more about how the old world ended and how the Zero Dawn project came into fruition. They did some brilliant world building as far as that is concerned and Ted Faro has to be one of the best video game villains even though he died a thousand years before the game started and only shows up in old recordings. The whole Carja Vs Eclipse business was the least interesting aspect of that game.

The same holds true for the Forbidden West. I found myself not really caring about the Tenakth and Regalla's rebellion that was instigated by Sylens from the shadows because it felt like a rehash of the first game. The problem is that the old world history aspect of the story didn't really grab my attention either. The Far Zenith people just felt kinda meh as far as antagonists are concerned. And their story also felt kinda like a rehash of Ted Faro's story. 

My favorite part of the game probably was exploring Thebes and learning about the fate of Ted Faro. So satisfying. 

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I didn't read your spoiler but that is not a good sign :( 

To counteract that (without reading the spoiler), I'm about 30-40 hours in, and I am quite enjoying my time with the game! I took down a robo T-rex and a robo Mammoth in the same fight! And I am enjoying the story thus far!

• Like 1

I loved Ratchet and Clank when it was rebooted for the PS4 and really enjoyed the first Horizon game. However, I just didn't/don't have the same response to their PS5 versions. They are good games, but don't feel as good as I think they could/should be, if that makes sense? I want to feel like I NEED to play the game when I get a moment or two to myself, and that pull just isn't there at the moment.

3 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

To counteract that (without reading the spoiler), I'm about 30-40 hours in, and I am quite enjoying my time with the game! I took down a robo T-rex and a robo Mammoth in the same fight! And I am enjoying the story thus far!

Oh my god. I remember seeing talk about Forza Horizon in this thread on the last page and I was still thinking this Horizon chat was about Forza and after this message, I really was just on my way to buy the new Forza game for a second.

I'm not saying the game is a catastrophe. I put like 60 hours into the game and I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't enjoyed it. I'd give it a 6.5-7 out of 10. That isn't bad in my book. But the original was a 9/10 for me. That is why I was a bit underwhelmed. 

Edited by Hellraiser