Sony Megathread 2023

Bobfoc

It's not bad to leave quests unfinished, errands unresolved, treasures unfound. Open world games often design themselves in a way where they make those seem like a central part of the game but they're really not. And most of the time you don't even need them to be strong enough to progress.

Tbh this is why Breath of the Wild and now Elden Ring are so refreshing because there isn't a ton dropped on your map and while there are quests so much is just on you to go out and find them. And if you don't want to it's going to make the game a little harder as you forego certain rewards, but it won't make it impossible.

• Like 2

Yeah I think that Elden Ring fixed open world games for me by essentially just allowing me to explore, not throwing a ton of icons in my face, and having me beat the game when I felt ready to. I was still super into the game so I did a second play-through and found items, weapons and areas that I had entirely missed my first time through - even a third and fourth time around is having me find new areas.

• Like 1

I read a rumor that MLB The Show may be a free title for Plus in April. I think it would be a great idea to do that, as it hit Gamepass for Xbox on Day 1 last year, but Sony players were expected to pay for the game. I believe it's on Gamepass again this year, and if Sony doesn't follow suit, it's only going to further upset their fanbase.

I'm still playing MLB 20 because of the removal of the year to year saves and my having created my own 30 teams for franchise and playing with 30 team control.

But if it goes free... I'm more than happy to abandon my incredibly in-depth franchise to destroy the league with the Blue Jays.

My engagement with last year's MLB: The Show plummeted after I encountered a bug in RTTS. After four seasons, my team finally reached the Playoffs, but then I was told I didn't make the Playoff roster, even though I'd broken all the hitting records that year. I looked it up online and found that loads of other people had the same problem.

On 25/03/2022 at 13:01, Bobfoc said:

My engagement with last year's MLB: The Show plummeted after I encountered a bug in RTTS. After four seasons, my team finally reached the Playoffs, but then I was told I didn't make the Playoff roster, even though I'd broken all the hitting records that year. I looked it up online and found that loads of other people had the same problem.

I experienced one where despite breaking tons of records I would never be able to make it in the majors for years. 

https://www.ign.com/articles/playstation-plus-ps-now-spartacus-subscription-tiers-price-retro-ps2-ps3

It's pretty good, but still don't think it matches fully up to Game Pass. Get the sense that day-one exclusives will eventually work their way in but it's going to still take awhile yet. Much like Game Pass it feels like the price is artificially low and as time passes the prices will increase, at which point I think Sony then puts on the day-one titles.

I see that Playstation Now subscribers automatically get moved to the Premium tier. I might see if I can find some discounted membership vouchers.

I'll be interested to see which PS1, PS2 and PSP games are included. You'd have thought that those currently available to download on PS3, PSP and Vita ought to be in there, at the very least.

PS3 content being restricted to streaming is disappointed, though predictable. Presumably, Sony doesn't have faith in its ability to adequately emulate PS3 games. That said, given that the Steam Deck can apparently run PS3 emulators well, I can't believe that the PS5 wouldn't be equipped to do so as well.

12 minutes ago, damhausen said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/playstation-plus-ps-now-spartacus-subscription-tiers-price-retro-ps2-ps3

It's pretty good, but still don't think it matches fully up to Game Pass. Get the sense that day-one exclusives will eventually work their way in but it's going to still take awhile yet. Much like Game Pass it feels like the price is artificially low and as time passes the prices will increase, at which point I think Sony then puts on the day-one titles.

It's unclear if if the extra tiers are on top of each other. Like do I pay 14.99$ for Extra and 17.99$ for Premium or just $17.99 for Premium which includes Extra. I presume it is just the flat 17.99$. 

Ignore this. I read on Kotaku which clearly indicates that premium includes Extra...

I don't think they're on top of each other as that price would be outrageous given the current pricing models for subscription services.

More I think about this I gotta give Sony some credit in putting off our inevitable "you don't own any of this" dystopian future a bit longer. A future everyone else appears all-too-eager to embrace.

2 minutes ago, RPS said:

It's unclear if if the extra tiers are on top of each other. Like do I pay 14.99$ for Extra and 17.99$ for Premium or just $17.99 for Premium which includes Extra. I presume it is just the flat 17.99$. 

It's the flat price. $17.99 would get you all the tiers.

27 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I see that Playstation Now subscribers automatically get moved to the Premium tier. I might see if I can find some discounted membership vouchers.

I'll be interested to see which PS1, PS2 and PSP games are included. You'd have thought that those currently available to download on PS3, PSP and Vita ought to be in there, at the very least.

PS3 content being restricted to streaming is disappointed, though predictable. Presumably, Sony doesn't have faith in its ability to adequately emulate PS3 games. That said, given that the Steam Deck can apparently run PS3 emulators well, I can't believe that the PS5 wouldn't be equipped to do so as well.

If you find a place that sells cheap memberships please share!

So, are the PS2 games already on PSNow gonna be locked behind the highest tier? That's how I'm reading it.

1 minute ago, Ruki Returns said:

If you find a place that sells cheap memberships please share!

So, are the PS2 games already on PSNow gonna be locked behind the highest tier? That's how I'm reading it.

I can only speak for UK membership cards, really. CDKeys sells 12-month Canadian subscriptions for the equivalent of $58 Canadian, but they're out of stock.

It does seem like the PS2 games from PSNow are going to be in the highest tier only. Something else I noticed is that there will only be two monthly Plus games when the new system starts, rather than three.