Sony Megathread 2023

Bobfoc

Is it easy to install an SSD for the PS5? I'm fed up of deleting stuff to play things. I wish they would take an external hard drive like it does PS4 games 

21 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Is it easy to install an SSD for the PS5? I'm fed up of deleting stuff to play things. I wish they would take an external hard drive like it does PS4 games 

Sony has a guide here. It seems that the biggest pitfall could be ensuring that you use the right kind of SSD, but I imagine that's not too difficult to research.

Having looked into it, though, it seems that the PS5 can work with external hard drives, but only PS4 games games can be played from it. You could always move some PS5 games to the external hard drive when you're not playing them and move them back when you do want to play them.

7 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Having looked into it, though, it seems that the PS5 can work with external hard drives, but only PS4 games games can be played from it. You could always move some PS5 games to the external hard drive when you're not playing them and move them back when you do want to play them.

This is what I do, just install all the PS4 games on the external drive.

Yeah I've got all the PS4 games on an external hard drive. I'll have a look at SSDs and see what's best. I just get flappy when messing with unscrewing things. I bricked it enough when upgrading my laptop's SSDs

24 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Yeah I've got all the PS4 games on an external hard drive. I'll have a look at SSDs and see what's best. I just get flappy when messing with unscrewing things. I bricked it enough when upgrading my laptop's SSDs

Recently did mine with the help of my brother in law, I got a bit with the side plates more than anything, but when we did it took roughly 10-20 minutes to. Would recommend getting it the easier option is to get one with a heatsink built in because not all heatsinks are eligible

On the flip side, although you can’t run PS5 games from an external drive (even if it is an SSD) - the read times make it moving games back and forth pretty simple. I use one for my Xbox and I can transfer like 10 games in 5 minutes, whereas using just a regular HDD on the PS5 it takes a LONG time for just one game, much less multiple, big games.

Just in case you don’t want to spend like $200 or whatever on an SSD internal card and can find an external SSD for cheap.

Gran Turismo 7 is exactly what you'd expect a Gran Turismo game to be, but it looks absolutely incredible. There are photos in the share mode which look completely life-like. 

That said, it talks about car collections a whole lot for a game with 100 fewer cars than Forza Horizon 5, and no cars made after 2017.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Gran Turismo 7 is exactly what you'd expect a Gran Turismo game to be, but it looks absolutely incredible. There are photos in the share mode which look completely life-like. 

That said, it talks about car collections a whole lot for a game with 100 fewer cars than Forza Horizon 5, and no cars made after 2017.

Heh I'm in the opposite boat for GT7, I'm missing the weird older stuff, especially the Daihatsu Midget.
z5TfWAp.jpg

And a few post-2017 rides made it but not a terribly large amount.

• Like 1

Yeah I did see a few in the end. The weirdest part of the 2017 cut-off is Lewis Hamilton's career history, they went to the extent of making an entire feature on him as he's the "maestro" who helps them develop the game, but his timeline stops at 2017. It therefore doesn't cover his 5th, 6th and 7th world titles, his passing of the records for wins, poles and points, nor any of his activism, and he gets a paragraph about his MBE but nothing about his knighthood.

Not having the time to put in entire new cars I can understand, but not bothering with simple blocks of text and getting a public use image is a bit strange.

I imagine they'll add loads of cars and tracks in as part of regular updates. 

I'm not the biggest car game fan but I used to love Gran Turismo and I thought I'd get GT7 and gotta say I'm loving the game. My thing with games is if it doesn't feel like I've been playing it for ages and when I check it's been some time then that's always a good sign. 

That Exoprimal thing looked like it would be fun in that goofy, EDF sort of way (unexplained portal with thousands of dinosaurs pouring out?!) but I'm sure there was something similar during E3 and I said near enough the same exact thing. Only it turned out to be a 'games as a service thing'. But the voice over afterwards made it out to be the first time it was announced.