Sony Megathread 2023

Bobfoc

23 hours ago, Ruki said:

... unsure about that FF16 gameplay...

Just watched it and I'm not sure I see the difference between recent FF combat and this...

9 minutes ago, LL! said:

Just watched it and I'm not sure I see the difference between recent FF combat and this...

It's been a few years since I've played XV, but the lack of party is the main thing I notice. And also what seems to be a bigger focus on combos (with getting stars and such it looks like) and a more action-y compared to what they did with FF7R (which I thought was a fantastic middle ground of action and RPG).

• 2 weeks later...

Neat, I can apparently upgrade to PS+ Extra for $23 for the remaining of my subscription (December). I might do that, just so I can play Returnal and try the demos for Tiny Tina's Wonderland and WWE. And there's probably a few other games in there that I would wanna try. 

I noticed when looking through the new PS+ game library that some games have the upgrade symbols and some don't... then when I click on the ones that don't, there's a download option.

So, with the PS Plus Essential package, do you still get additional free games other than the monthly ones? I'm confused by this whole thing.

30 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

I noticed when looking through the new PS+ game library that some games have the upgrade symbols and some don't... then when I click on the ones that don't, there's a download option.

So, with the PS Plus Essential package, do you still get additional free games other than the monthly ones? I'm confused by this whole thing.

My understanding is that the base tier only gets the monthly games. Maybe the ones that don't have the symbol are ones you already redeemed in the past as a Plus member.

I know there was a package of Plus games for PS5 owners as well. Perhaps that accounts for the others.

PS+ Essential is pretty much what it is now, online access and some monthly games. Extra (or whatever the middle tier is called) gets the new games package that's replacing PS Now and probably the PS+ Collection that PS5 users got. Then there's the Deluxe top tier that gets extra classic games.

I decided against the upgrade, as apparently you need the Deluxe to get the game trails, which is unfortunate. Although I am worried the quality of the monthly free games will dip like they did with Games With Gold. 

tbf they've been dipping for a while now, but not quite to Games With Gold levels yet.

I got the Premium tier (Deluxe for you guys, I guess?) because there's a lot of stuff I want to buy, but don't want to spend the money on, and if it's on there for a monthly fee along with other stuff, then okay I'm in. I downloaded Lost Legacy, Deliver Me the Moon, Infamous: First Light and Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remastered already, and started to stream Split/Second (which is really fun!).

I also need to grab Ghost of Tsushima for the DLC part of the game, and the new Ratchet & Clank.

EDIT: that’s weird, I swear R&C: Rift Apart was advertised for this.

Edited by tristy

Waiting for some YouTuber to buy it just so they can have the clickbaity thumbnail of "I paid 10 thousand dollars for TEKKEN and THIS is what happened!"

Now that it's on Plus, I'm finally trying out the God of War reboot. What surprises me is how run-of-the-mill it seems.

I like the setting and the characters, albeit mainly because I recognise most of them from Greek mythology. The boss battles are fun and the standard combat is OK. What really stops me from getting the most out of it are the mechanics in between the fights.

First, you've got the contrived climbing and shimmying sections that the Uncharted games made me sick of. They're the ones that usually follow a scene in which an apparently easy path crumbles or gets blocked, so you have to find a way round. Then you've got the puzzles.

Now, obviously, games need their quieter parts to make the balls-to-the-wall action more impactful, and that's not something I'm fundamentally against. What does bother me, however, is that these sequences in God of War just don't seem fun. The puzzles aren't challenging or engaging. They're just tedious slogs with immediately simple solutions you have to spend half an hour trawling along to get to. The climbing doesn't involve any kind of thought or cunning. It's just a case of holding the thumbstick upwards and occasionally pressing the circle button. These aren't satisfying lulls that allow the drama to sink in. They're just flow-breakers. If I could, I'd skip them completely.

I think I would have liked this game a lot more if I played it ten years ago, before these forms of length-padding mechanics weren't so common. Maybe it's also because my tastes have changed over time. Whatever the case, I'm seven hours in and find it hard not to see it as a collection of fun highlights trapped inside a bloated package.

Yeah God of War tried to make you feel like you were entering a huge world. Hell the first couple hours of the game really make you go "oh I'm excited for what's out there" and then it turns out... not a lot. 

I enjoyed it and the sequel is definitely something I'm playing either through the new PS+ sub or after it goes on sale. But it's got so many things that just hold it back. It looks damn pretty though, so that's a thing. And I did appreciate most of the story, plus the mythology angle is always fun.

Jumping into Ghost of Tsushima on NG+ Hard after two years is insane, I got instantly killed at the Duel in the Drowning Marsh. Eventually passed it after like 12 tries because I forgot the controls. 

It's weird though, I imported my PS4 save and it's like my 100% completion never existed. It's still there in the trophies section, but on the game tab on the home screen it has like 17 trophies unlocked. Maybe because it's the PS5 version? But the last time I played was around the time of the Legends patch in 2020. I don't know, I'm pondering just starting a completely new game and going for 100% all over again. It's weird that the PS5 version of the same game has a separate trophy list.

20 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Is Godfall any good? I saw it at Walmart in a clearance bin for $7.50 and almost bought it but on the back it said the world's first "slasher looter" which made me think it was like Destiny with Swords and that doesn't appeal to me at all

It tried to sell itself as something like Destiny or Borderlands with third person sword based combat - which weirdly just brings it closer to the top down action RPGs that those kinds of games took inspiration from but... yeah it just wasn't all that interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My hubby got a PS5. Me and my son were playing the PS4 Spiderman game. Beautiful game - textures and details were great. Some of Spiderman animations are bizarrely reused - it's comical to have him climbing the walls and the swing seems identical each time. The story is fun. Combat and movement around is fun. Doubt I'll play much more but my son is loving it. 

• Like 2