Sony Megathread 2023

Bobfoc

I bought Horizon Forbidden West yesterday and it's really not clicking with me. 

The controls feel clunky, which makes all the platforming and underwater swimming sections a pain.

The detection when you're near a chest or lootable item is really hit or miss for me too. I keep having to walk right around items before I'm given the trigger to pick them up.

On 21/09/2022 at 01:58, Ruki said:

So, Returnal is a really good game, eh? Got to the first boss (I think) and almost killed it my first run!

I got to the second boss and beat it my first try! That was a butt clencher. But the third biome seems relentless. And there's 6 in total!?

They're apparently remaking/remastering Horizon Zero Dawn which I guess is spurred by expected interest in the game from the show as well as the continued trend of these big studios basically letting their teams learn the current gen through remastering a game.

Which begs the question, how long do they think the lifespan of this generation of consoles will wind up being?

48 minutes ago, damhausen said:

They're apparently remaking/remastering Horizon Zero Dawn which I guess is spurred by expected interest in the game from the show as well as the continued trend of these big studios basically letting their teams learn the current gen through remastering a game.

Which begs the question, how long do they think the lifespan of this generation of consoles will wind up being?

I expect it to go until at least 2026. 

Returnal is REALLY hard. I'm starting to get frustrated. I had a great run going, I go to the third biome, bring in a co-op partner, and we get 2-3 areas in before we're dead. I'm thinking of tapping out and just reading what the story is.

On 02/10/2022 at 20:27, Ruki said:

I expect it to go until at least 2026. 

Longer than that.  Its still difficult to even get a PS5 and they have only barely even begun making games exclusively for it.

On 03/10/2022 at 00:42, Ruki said:

Returnal is REALLY hard. I'm starting to get frustrated. I had a great run going, I go to the third biome, bring in a co-op partner, and we get 2-3 areas in before we're dead. I'm thinking of tapping out and just reading what the story is.

Next day I manage to get to the boss twice. Slow and steady progress I suppose!

Edit: my very next run, I beat it! Ha! Now I'm done Act 1 of the game.

Edit: on that same run I made it to and defeated the 4th boss!!

On 03/10/2022 at 14:24, King Ellis said:

All these PS4 remasters better lead to one for Bloodborne.

One can live in hope that we do get a remaster. Been revisiting my time with the game over the last few day's and spending it on the hunt again. Still an enjoyable yet frustratingly difficult game to play.

Often end up reading about item's and spending hour's looking at what stats do and tactics. The visuals to the game always haunt me and draw me back into the bleak setting.  Always go away having learned something from the experience and then pour over knowledge of the lore and the World on websites or YouTube video's. 

It is quite satisfying going back to someone or something that killed you in these game's and knowing what you know better, or a lot more leveled up than you had been along with improving aspects of the character and you as a player. You get that accomplished feeling of not giving up. Most of the SoulsBorne type genre I have enjoyed on a personal level for the spiritual aspects of it, or the fantasy element's along with the lore behind it all. It has taught me patience and about life and death in way's I never thought a game could teach me. Mostly it has made me feel more relaxed when playing other game's.

On 04/10/2022 at 14:18, Maxx said:

Longer than that.  Its still difficult to even get a PS5 and they have only barely even begun making games exclusively for it.

Yeah I think with the overall permeation of everything-as-a-service there's been a lot of preparation (initially from Xbox with GamePass and now Sony is following suit) that the lifespan of console generations is going to be longer. 

There's also going to be the regular "upgrades" to existing consoles, as we've seen before. But maybe more within an individual generation.

The Abyss is kicking my butt in Returnal, so I'm throwing in the towel. I could probably get it if I try and line up a perfect run after dozens of hours, but I don't think I'd enjoy that. I think I like rogue likes more in theory than in practice.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2022 at 11:07, damhausen said:

There's also going to be the regular "upgrades" to existing consoles, as we've seen before. But maybe more within an individual generation.

Speaking of upgrades, I forget how it was found - maybe the same way people online have discovered the different existing versions of the PS5 that just use lighter materials - but there is supposedly an external disc drive coming out for the digital version.

• Like 1