Sony Megathread 2023

Bobfoc

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Ragnarok is a great game, but I don't like that if you can't solve a puzzle in 20 seconds they give you a hint. Hell, I just had one where it solved it for me  

This is why I haven't played it yet. They absolutely need to fix that. AAA games are already stupidly easy, I don't need hints.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Ragnarok is a great game, but I don't like that if you can't solve a puzzle in 20 seconds they give you a hint. Hell, I just had one where it solved it for me  

It's interesting cause I'm now finally playing the previous installment and in that one it takes much longer for you to get a hint. 

The Division was on sale for Black Friday. Picked it up.

At the time of the release it was one I did not care about. However. Since our real life Pandemic. It helped me get into the story and game feel a lot more for the world built and also people we lose in them. How a Pandemic could turn out in a very worse case scenario. 

The gameplay is alright. Just been walking round really and enjoying little quiet time on it. Then the occasional fire fight. 

I'm joining the PS5 club thanks to Amazon's God Of War Ragnarok bundle arriving tomorrow. I also have Madden 23, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, WWE 2K22 and Guardians of the Galaxy on the way. Should be set for quite a while! Only game I wanted that I couldn't find on sale was Ghost of Tsushima but I'll see if that goes on sale around Christmas time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Horatio Velveteen said:

I'm joining the PS5 club thanks to Amazon's God Of War Ragnarok bundle arriving tomorrow. I also have Madden 23, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, WWE 2K22 and Guardians of the Galaxy on the way. Should be set for quite a while! Only game I wanted that I couldn't find on sale was Ghost of Tsushima but I'll see if that goes on sale around Christmas time.

Guardians of the Galaxy is an incredible amount of fun, and like said before GoT is usually on the big sales.

Ghost of Tsushima ending..

Spoiler

God damn. That took it from epic to all timer. I couldn't bring myself to kill Uncle, Jin being with honour or no honour be damned, his death would serve no purpose than his own obsession with honour. As Jin says, he is a slave to it, and whilst I doubt this moment changes that, it felt like the right way to close this chapter.

Hope they do a sequel someday, don't know if it'd be with Jin or someone else, but it's got a near perfect gameplay loop and the story was phenomenal, as were the mini arcs and side quests.

One thing I disagree with that other people have said - it's not Assassin's Creed. They are two distinctly different games that have obvious parallels, but to call either one a version of the other is a disservice to both.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

Ghost of Tsushima ending..

Reveal hidden contents

God damn. That took it from epic to all timer. I couldn't bring myself to kill Uncle, Jin being with honour or no honour be damned, his death would serve no purpose than his own obsession with honour. As Jin says, he is a slave to it, and whilst I doubt this moment changes that, it felt like the right way to close this chapter.

Hope they do a sequel someday, don't know if it'd be with Jin or someone else, but it's got a near perfect gameplay loop and the story was phenomenal, as were the mini arcs and side quests.

One thing I disagree with that other people have said - it's not Assassin's Creed. They are two distinctly different games that have obvious parallels, but to call either one a version of the other is a disservice to both.

I’d never heard of the comparison, still need to find the time to play Ghost of Tsushima ridiculous that I’ve still not even installed it.

Me: "Lady Masako was my favourite actor in Ghost of Tsushima, I wonder if the actress has done anything else I might like to hear/see her in."

One Google later and I realise it's Lauren Tom, the actress for - among other things - Amy in Futurama, Connie in King of the Hill, Linda Tran in Supernatural, and Julie in Friends.

So yes, yes I might like to see/hear her in more, because I already do.

• Like 1

I think the Assassin's Creed comparisons were just born of the fact that people had been harbouring for a AC set in feudal Japan for about 10 years, so having a game where you sneak and murder your way through that same period garnered a lot of comparisons.

If anything it's far more a Batman story than an Assassin's Creed story. Absolutely banging game either way, I remember I even had it just above Last of Us 2 for the year.

As for the spoilers @Benji

Spoiler

I'd love a sequel because I'd love to exist in that world a little longer (although I've still not gone back for the DLC, whoops), but I also don't want them to ever confirm which ending is cannon. I also left Jin's Uncle alive, but the discussion as to which way was the 'right' way is too good to diminish with a direct sequel that would need to confirm either way.

• Like 2

Finished God of War Ragnarok today. Cried. A bunch.

Absolutely a near perfect game. Some annoyances in the repeated dialogue from companion characters (and their near constant nagging during puzzle sections), and there were a couple of slower, almost badly paced story beats, but the overall story, characters, gameplay loop and outright emotional maturity of everything was 10/10.

Deciding between this and Elden Ring for my personal game of the year is going to be an absolute nightmare.

• Like 2

I just finished Ragnarok a couple days ago and agree on most points. That said I almost felt like the puzzle stuff was aimed for players like me. Sometimes the answers came a little too fast but I was so thankful when after a couple minutes of me flailing around like an idiot my companion would say "Hey I bet you could do something with Sigil arrows!" and that was usually enough for me to finally get it.

• Like 2

I haven't played God of War but I dislike puzzles. When they used to come up in Uncharted and to a lesser extent, The Last of Us, I couldn't wait for them to be over so I could get on with the fun parts of the game. So I'd definitely welcome the hints.

• Like 1