Sony Megathread 2023

Bobfoc

Unless they start adding the occasional big day one release, I can't see much value in it. With this generation's standard game price increase of £10/$10, which is only the cost of entry when you factor in DLC, microtransactions and tiered collector editions. Meanwhile, publishers are making record profits.

The cost of developing games may have increased, at least if you want to put in fancy graphics and motion capture, but so too has the audience size, all while wages are remaining stagnant.

On 28/08/2023 at 10:49, Bobfoc said:

The Saints Row reboot has apparently been leaked as one of next month's Playstation Plus games.

In celebration of this, Embrace shut down it's publisher, Volition.

4 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

It's been a bad week for studio closures. Mimimi, who just released the critically acclaimed Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew, have also had to shut.

It's my understanding that they are closing because of the last few years of churning out games has taken a toll on their family and personal lives. How many people at the studio made that decision though remains to be seen - they're speaking of helping people find new jobs, since they don't plan on announcing any new projects and instead just supporting Shadow Gambit for a reasonable amount of time before shuttering entirely.

It's a damn shame because the Saints Row reboot wasn't all that bad at all. But I assume that expectations were far higher for it.

Apparently, the Saints Row reboot didn't meet sales expectations. I can't find any actual figures, so it's not clear if that's a case of unrealistic publisher projections or poor sales in general.

I wonder if Volition might have been close to the chopping block already after Agents of Mayhem didn't do well, either critically or commercially. Given that Embracer recently lost out on a $2 billion deal with the Saudi PIF, I imagine the people at Volition had been fearing the worst for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Just like last September, Sony is putting on a State of Play showcase on the same day as a Nintendo Direct. This one will focus on third-party games, however, so adjust your expectations accordingly. I wonder if it's not too early to see more of the Silent Hill 2 remake.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow my PlayStation has been bricked.  Doesn’t matter which power cord I use or which outlet I plug it into, it doesn’t turn on.  We had some really bad lightning tonight, but I don’t think we lost power and everything else on the surge protector still works.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Maxx said:

Somehow my PlayStation has been bricked.  Doesn’t matter which power cord I use or which outlet I plug it into, it doesn’t turn on.  We had some really bad lightning tonight, but I don’t think we lost power and everything else on the surge protector still works.

Have you tried holding down the power button on the PS5?  If it isn't completely bricked, it will boot into safe mode and give you some options to get it back

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lint said:

Have you tried holding down the power button on the PS5?  If it isn't completely bricked, it will boot into safe mode and give you some options to get it back

Yup, nothing.

EDIT: Try reading the whole post, zero. 

I had this happen to my original Xbox One. Just completely bricked one day. If safe mode, other outlets, and other power cords don't work, I'd try a local repair spot? 

Regardless, it sucks man. I'm sorry!

Had to buy a new one, luckily Gamestop gives $200 for bricked PS5s

Realized it was downloading really slowly, checked out the connection and found it’s not recognizing the LAN connection.  Talk through it with PlayStation support and the LAN port on this brand new PS5 is dead.

Now I’m getting the run around from Gamestop about whether or not this will need to use the warranty I purchased with it two days ago.

2 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Had to buy a new one, luckily Gamestop gives $200 for bricked PS5s

Realized it was downloading really slowly, checked out the connection and found it’s not recognizing the LAN connection.  Talk through it with PlayStation support and the LAN port on this brand new PS5 is dead.

Now I’m getting the run around from Gamestop about whether or not this will need to use the warranty I purchased with it two days ago.

If it works like it used to when I ran an EB Games, they'll tell you that you need to send it to Sony within the first year. It used to be that the extended warranties offered would cover you for year two and/or three depending on which one you picked up, but that the initial year is covered under the Sony manufacturer's warranty.

They're scum, basically.

20 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

If it works like it used to when I ran an EB Games, they'll tell you that you need to send it to Sony within the first year. It used to be that the extended warranties offered would cover you for year two and/or three depending on which one you picked up, but that the initial year is covered under the Sony manufacturer's warranty.

They're scum, basically.

To add to their scumminess, their first idea was that I take it to Best Buy to see if Geek Squad can fix it.  Ah yes, lets go void Sony's warranty too.

• Confused 1

On 24/09/2023 at 22:55, Maxx said:

Turns out my Xbox Series S is also messed up, won’t register that there’s an Ethernet cable plugged in, and it’s wi-fi adapter can’t keep a connection active for more than a few seconds.  Bad news for an all digital, largely used for gamepass console.

• Sad 1

On 25/09/2023 at 04:55, Maxx said:

Tried changing the fuse? Entirely likely it's just that which had gone.

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

Tried changing the fuse? Entirely likely it's just that which had gone.

Nah, it was bricked, no power when testing it elsewhere too.