2022 NFL Off-Season thread

The Buscher

Simulating the 2022 NFL season on Football GM for funsies and in week 4 Deshaun Watson got hurt in a low scoring close game vs the Bengals (minor injury but knocked him out of game) and Mayfield came in to win the game. The drama!

Excellent news.  Shows that Joe Schoen really is running the show there and not being forced to keep a QB that John Mara wants.

And really it's a no-brainer.  Jones hasn't done anything to warrant a guaranteed $22 million.  If by some chance he stays healthy this year and under a new scheme looks like he can be a QB they can build around, they tag him next year and maybe even work out an extension.  The tag would cost around $8 million more than the 5th year option would, but that's a small price to pay if you find a QB you feel good about.

The most likely scenario to me is Jones does what he always has - shows occasional flashes of brilliance mixed with poor decision making and an inability to get through a season healthy.  Giants figure to have a bottom-3 roster this year as they weed through the final year of Gettleman's trash.  Sets them up nicely to draft a QB early in 2023.

Detroit Lions Super Bowl tonight.

Hoping for Kayvon, but I'm ok with Hutch. I wouldn't be surprised if we try to move up in the first if there's someone we really like that wont fall to 32.

I kinda hope we don't, I'd like to see us utilize our first five picks to shore up the Defense and add a WR.

For fun, here was the top 10 of Todd McShay's "way too early" 2022 mock draft that he did last May.

1 - Texans:  DE Kayvon Thibodeaux
2 - Lions:  QB Kedon Slovis
3 - Jaguars:  CB Derek Stingley
4 - Jets:  OT Charles Cross
5 - Bengals:  OT Zion Nelson
6 - Panthers:  S Kyle Hamilton
7 - Eagles:  QB Sam Howell
8 - Giants:  DE Aidan Hutchinson
9 - Giants:  OT Evan Neal
10 - Raiders:  CB Kaiir Elam

-Correctly predicted 7 of the top 10 teams including 3 in their actual draft spots.
-Thibodeaux, Stingley, Cross, Hutchinson, and Neal are all going in the top 10 barring a surprise.
-Hamilton might also sneak into the top 10, probably slide no more than mid-round.
-Elam's stock appears to have risen as well and probably will be late 1st round.
-Had Zion declared, he easily would've been in the top 10 mix as well.

In terms of misses - Slovis slummed through injuries and splitting time, leading to a transfer which nobody saw coming this time last year.  Sam Howell's stock dropped considerably although it's hard to say how teams rate any of these QBs once you get to late 1st and day 2.  Also the 3 teams that aren't picking top 10 made the playoffs, but really, who the hell saw the Bengals coming?

It's easy to dump on these draft analysts but I'll give him props, this was pretty damn good for 11 months out.

The seasoned draft analysts do a good job of finding the range in which players are drafted. Getting the right pick # and team is a fool's errand but if you say "this guy is a late 1st round pick" it's the result of a ton of research. "This guy will go 21st to New England" meanwhile is that research and a ton of speculation.

• Lineker changed the title to NFL Draft 2022

Pretty sure we'll take either Hutch or Thib with our early pick. Our late pick is a lot more of a toss up. Not overly fond of any QBs this year, but we might use that spot to take one due to being able to get the extra year on the rookie deal. Personally, I'd prefer us to go D. 

I don't know what people are talking about, Aidan Hutchinson vs. Travon Walker feels like a pretty six-of-one/half-a-dozen-of-another choice to make based on the only metric of great importance.

(their names. It's their names.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lineker said:

The Houston Texans select Derek Stingley Jr.

oh no, I loved his name, wanted him to be a Seahawk. Obviously Sauce Gardner would be the real dream but that's not happening, that one's going quick.

• Like 1