AEW: Fight Forever

Played a match of each match type with a friend before and we had a proper laugh playing it just messing about, having some good matches then trying to have some mental moments as well. 

It is mad how divisive the game is really, it's such a both ends of the spectrum in terms of views on it. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

It is mad how divisive the game is really, it's such a both ends of the spectrum in terms of views on it. 

I guess the divide in wrestling has just moved on to the video game scene. I'm sure there are people hating on it to defend against WWE, and I'm sure (perhaps moreso) there are people blindly ignoring the faults to defend AEW.

A couple of the reviews I've seen have said they were hesistant to criticise the game due to the abuse they received from the extreme AEW fans for negative opinions they had given in the build-up to the release.

Based on that, the average scores it seems to be getting seem to be about right.

4 hours ago, Gabriel said:

That's the big thing I'm not a huge fan of in RTE. You win a title to close out a story, and then move on to the next story. That part is fine, but it would be nice if that next story was a title specific story, or gives you the option of vacating the belt you won to try something else.

I figured branching stories might include you defending a championship, but once you finish a story, you just move on to the next one.

Maybe that's something they can add with content updates. It's really just a mild annoyance for me, but it would be nice to be able to defend the belts you win and that could add a lot of potential stories to the RTE mode.

I won the title in the first block, the second and third block didn't mention the title at all and my character didn't come out with it, then I defended it in the very last match. Very odd. It is a lot of fun though, 3 on 1 matches aside. 

15 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I don't think anyone had mentioned them yet. How are the mini games? Is it like Mario Party but instead of Mario you're John Silver or something? :P 

Also reviewers getting abuse is nuts. I like AEW way more than WWE but a bad game is a bad game

The only one I got around to was the one where you skateboard around and try and knock everyone else into the electrified cage walls and it was pretty hilarious. 

And as far as the reviews, I think if you enjoying just crazy arcade bullshit then this is a fun game. If you want a detailed career mode and realistic CAWs then you're better off with 2k23. The fact that you can play on Switch is a bonus since 2k23 isn't even trying to enter that game. I wish I would've went that direction but maybe if it gets cheap enough on a prime day/black friday deal I'll cop a Switch version to play on the go.

… and I’ve encountered three of the piece of shit online players I hate. Roll out of the ring, spam the taunt and pump up the spirit meter, run in and out of the ring so you can’t catch them the whole match. Then they try to sucker you in for a finisher. Why would anyone want to play like that?

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, IDOL said:

… and I’ve encountered three of the piece of shit online players I hate. Roll out of the ring, spam the taunt and pump up the spirit meter, run in and out of the ring so you can’t catch them the whole match. Then they try to sucker you in for a finisher. Why would anyone want to play like that?

Winning is more important than fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

There's a nugget of a good game in here, but I don't see how they're going to be able to just update this into something more complete. Surely it's gonna have to be a sequel. I like the gameplay, I like the presentation, I like that it is different than 2K, but this is gonna need more than a polish. 

• Like 2

I mean I know wrestling fans have a real thing for nostalgia but it shouldn’t come as that much of a surprise that a game advertising itself as being inspired by another game from the 20th century (which wasn’t even that good - soz) should end up being a bit underwhelming in the year 2023.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

I mean I know wrestling fans have a real thing for nostalgia but it shouldn’t come as that much of a surprise that a game advertising itself as being inspired by another game from the 20th century (which wasn’t even that good - soz) should end up being a bit underwhelming in the year 2023.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9521i8nzs0t0a7awh9l42

Elsewhere, I just beat Switch YouTuber RGT 85 in an online match. That brought me joy.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, METALMAN said:

I think there's definitely a solid argument that a decent engine/gameplay style can be updated though, and the No Mercy engine carried through to a couple of decent Def Jam games. FIFA make a fortune every year with what basically feels like a mid 2000s Pro Evo game (but not as good obv...), and side scrolling Mario's have barely changed in 30 years. I honestly think that gameplay style (the risk/reward two counter system, momentum (done properly, even No Mercy limited taunt spamming which it sounds like this hasn't) and opponents staying down just long enough to do cool wrestling stuff like dives) is still the best wrestling engine published, and an update to that would've been great.

I haven't played it, but all the gameplay videos looked far closer to a Smackdown.

I'm not even going to subject ya'll to the gameplay footage. This game sucks.

• Confused 5

17 hours ago, METALMAN said:

To be fair, the actual gameplay is pretty good. It feels fun to play. Arguably more exciting than WWE 2k23. 

I don't think basing it on No Mercy is the problem. If anything it's probably the fact that the game hasn't taken enough inspiration from No Mercy. I feel like that game had more CAW options, match options and story options. 

It's simply a fun game that's completely unfinished. It's pretty evident that it's not finished. It's up to them to actually deliver their on promise to keep updating the game beyond the paid DLC which seems unlikely. Logically you'd think they'd set their stall with a big patch around the time of the next DLC release. I think they might win some people if they deliver the Stadium Stampede around All Out but even with the leak I'm not convinced that they're going to suddenly deliver a 30 player online mode. It seems bizarre to think they're going to jump from 4 to 30. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OctoberRaven said:

I'm not even going to subject ya'll to the gameplay footage. This game sucks.

I watched that and was more annoyed at how thick that guy is than the game...

• Haha 2