Premier League 2022/23

Lineker

• Admin

The Brentford and England striker Ivan Toney has been suspended for eight months for breaching the Football Association’s betting rules.

Toney was charged with 262 breaches between 25 February 2017 and 23 January 2021. The FA withdrew 30 of these charges and he admitted to the remaining 232. He has also been fined £50,000 and warned as to his future conduct.

The sanctions were imposed by an independent regulatory commission after a personal hearing. Toney’s ban runs up to and including 16 January 2024 but he can return to training with his club for the final four months of his suspension starting from 17 September 2023.

Very much like the NFL bans for gambling, the double standard of having betting companies sponsor almost everything involved in football, and then banning players for gambling, is incredibly confusing.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

There is a stupid amount of gambling influences in football when Toney has played for several teams with betting sponsors, played in a football league sponsored by betting and won awards with said betting sponsors brand plastered all over it and probably done PR work for the gambling sponsors. 

That being said, he's put himself in a position whether it's been bets in games he's involved in or not but the influence of gambling has more than likely played a part in Toney gambling the way he has. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Not sure I agree with that, even if he isn't betting on games he's playing he's still essentially insider trading.

Oh he absolutely shouldn't have done it and I think he deserves the suspension, as DM says the double standard comes from the amount of influence the players/fans/staff are subjected to on a minutely basis throughout the course of following football.

I was utterly shitting it prematch, and it was starting to feel like one of those January/February can't score games. Nice to go in 2-0 at half time, then 30 mins of heart palpitations at 2-1. Bar a disaster against Leicester (and even that's after two potential banana skins for Liverpool and Man Utd) that should be Champions League football. Crazy.

Added bonus that I got 4 assists and a goal for my draft team pulling me top for the first time in months. 

Fucking love Miggy Almiron.

Brighton's goal kicks are a new one to me too, 4 players plus the keeper in their own area every time. Truly bizarre.

On 16/05/2023 at 10:17, Lineker said:

Phil Jones being released. End of an era.

Honestly devastated for him. Saw his debut game for us against Chelsea. Sure Drogba scored after five minutes but rest of the game Jones (and the legend Samba) kept him quiet as a church mouse. Such potential, and injuries wasted him. A sad story.

• Sad 1