Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

Sheffield United could ask for that Villa game to be replayed. Or the entire 2006-07 season, for that matter.

What about the ghost goals that occur? Donny Rovers were absolutely shafted against Portsmouth in 2012 and relegated as a result, can we be reinstated to the Championship please?

I get that it was an egregious mistake, but Klopp needs to drop that notion. Goals get wrongly disallowed every week, all over the world. Always have done.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38573537/panel-says-diogo-jota-red-card-liverpool-spurs-was-incorrect

ESPN has seen the assessments of the panel for week seven, detailing that the second tackle on Udogie in the 69th minute was not worthy of a yellow card from referee Simon Hooper.

The report stated that "the majority deemed the decision as incorrect as they felt it did not meet the threshold for a yellow card," with the five members voting 3-2 against a booking.

The panel has five members, made up of three former players and/coaches, plus one representative each from the Premier League and PGMOL.

At the time, few observers questioned the merits of Jota's second caution, which left the Reds with nine men for the rest of the game. It was the first booking, when Udogie's trailing leg had clipped the Portuguese forward's knee, that seemed more worthy of reassessment. However, the panel does not make judgements on the first yellow card if a player is dismissed for two bookable offences.

According to the panel, it was the worst weekend for referees this season with four missed VAR interventions -- more than the rest of the season combined.

It was ruled that Aston Villa's second and third goals in their 6-1 home win over Brighton & Hove Albion should have been ruled out. Villa led 1-0 when Nicolò Zaniolo was in the line of vision of Brighton goalkeeper Jason Steele on Ollie Watkins' shot, with the panel split 3-2 in favour of the goal being disallowed.

Minutes later, Brighton's Solly March was brought down by Douglas Luiz in the lead up to Pervis Estupiñán's own goal. However, while the panel judged it to be a foul by Luiz, voting 4-1 for a VAR intervention, there was no reference to the relevance of the attacking phase, which would have been the key consideration in an overturn for the VAR, Stuart Attwell.

It was also stated that Villa defender Ezri Konsa should have been shown a second yellow card in the 71st minute, when the score was 4-1. Brighton midfielder Ansu Fati was booked after an altercation with Konsa, who had been booked in the 57th minute, and the panel felt both players should have been cautioned.

The panel also unanimously felt that Brentford were denied a clear penalty at Nottingham Forest when goalkeeper Matt Turner kicked through on Brentford forward Yoane Wissa. The game finished 1-1.

Thing is, and I'm not speaking specificially to these incidents, but we have a referee in charge on the pitch for a reason.

A 5-person panel can meet days later, analyse incidents from all angles, and then decide on a 3 to 2 basis that the wrong decision was made...so what? Decisions need to be made in a split second, and VAR exists for an extra few seconds of oversight. Football just doesn't work any other way I'm afraid, and that's reality. It is a continuous game with 22 players creating countless variables every moment of every match.

The referee thinks one thing, the VAR thinks another. A panel member agrees, another disagrees. And so on.

• Like 3

Yeah I wouldn't put too much stock in the post match panel thing, especially for a 3 to 2 majority (Brexit means Brexit). As we've discussed recently so many decisions in football are highly subjective, I agree with the panel re the 3rd Brighton goal (I was baffled the foul wasn't given by the ref, but sort of understand why VAR allowed it given how far back in play it was) but one change of mind re Jota and it's 3-2 in favour and that's fine?

To note these panels meet every week and often have these split decisions, it's the nature of the sport. It's only this week that it's suddenly gained some scrutiny.

On 04/10/2023 at 18:49, Szumi - A Polack said:

As a Liverpool fan, Klopp is an absolute idiot for making the comments about a replay. He had to know how everyone was going to jump all over it.

I don't think Jürgen Klopp cares that much about that side of things tbh.