Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

I’d argue it was much more than a petulant flap. You can see from one angle his facial expression in which there’s clear intent to hurt someone by smashing their forearm unsuspectingly into the side of their head. It’s assault.

In other sports - rugby for example, that would be a red card without hesitation.

All I can gather from what they have said is that it can be open season now to do this on a weekly basis. I don’t see it as subjective at all. It’s by the book violent conduct and they completely ignored basic rules of the game. 

It’s no surprise that Howard Webb didn’t talk about this one on his vanity show.

Webb did though, he explained that both should have been reds, as did the panel last week. He thinks so, they think so, you think so, I think so, it's a stinker of a decision to miss it and he should have been sent off

That doesn't change the fact it was minutes after he'd just seen one of his team mates snapped in two by a foul with far more intent and potential to injure. The panel was unanimous that it was a red. Ref gets that right and the second doesn't happen, and while that doesn't excuse Bruno I can understand his anger. He's a chewy little bastard.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Colly said:

On one hand I quite enjoyed hearing what that VAR process was in the excruciating 4 minutes of not having a clue stood up in the East Stand, but on the other making Michael Owen cry is brilliant. That VAR show has everything.

Seriously though, is it possible to get a more boring combination of anything than "Michael Owen" and "VAR show"?

Don't even care. Won't affect them going down anyway cause Luton/Sheff Utd and Burnley are all crap. 

Still, funny how it happens to Everton yet City will get away with everything cause of who own them and the money they have. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Daft isn't it, had they got this last year which was feasible given the timescale of the breaches they'd have been down. This time round they'll likely stay up, they're only 2 points from safety. About as convenient as Toney's ban waiting til the end of the season.

Surely Man City can't keep getting away with it now?

I can't see how it isn't overturned or the points penalty at least reduced on appeal.

It's more than Portsmouth got for going into administration. If we're looking at it proportionally, I presume Man City will be thrown out of the league and all of their titles taken off them? Bet that doesn't happen though.

Everton surely get the penalty reduced. I don't like the "well what about _____" response but this kind of enforcement feels so arbitrary. Plenty of clubs just have better accountants than Everton, and if that's the line it's going to become a mess if the PL goes after others.

Let the joint Leeds, Leicester and Southampton lawsuit begin!

Really looking forward to being given one third of that new stadium as compensation, maybe we can bolt it on to Elland Road 

I'd feel hard done by if I was Everton fan especially with all the charges around City and as it stand nothing has happened. If they are going to take this seriously then other clubs should face worse or similar to Everton. If there's no consistency it should be scrapped in fairness

• Like 1

That was my thought as well but Sheff Utd ultimately got a payout in that instance, no? Albeit, it was probably settled out of court and was really only relevant to them because they were in 18th place last year so, as Colly alludes to, there's really only Leicester from last year that could make an argument so I'm not quite sure why we're sticking our oar in. You'd think we'd learned after that whole Jean-Kevin Augustin saga.