Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

4 hours ago, Szumi said:

Which is probably why they subbed him off? Any initial coloring or swelling would be from the contact, not from obvious signs of a break. Even asked my GF about it since she's a nurse and knows way more than me. Even she said unless the socket is shattered, you're not going to be seeing any signs of a break that quickly.

Now on the concussion side of things, THAT should have been very clear and noticed. He should have been subbed off immediately. Very different topic, of course.

My point was that he was subbed after around 5 minutes, and it was noticeable already that he had a physical injury. Since that was the amount of time you said would be difficult to make a determination.

The fact he was knocked out is another matter, and far more of a concern for football with how they're dealing with concussions, certainly.

On 16/05/2024 at 19:15, Adam said:

My point was that he was subbed after around 5 minutes, and it was noticeable already that he had a physical injury. Since that was the amount of time you said would be difficult to make a determination.

The fact he was knocked out is another matter, and far more of a concern for football with how they're dealing with concussions, certainly.

...but it's really easy to just think it was from the contact, and that's all. Someone can get punched in the face, not have a concussion, or a broken orbital bone, but there still might be the marks from the contact itself.

Anyways, I am not at all surprised Phil Foden won the Player of the Year even though he was 2nd on his own team for goals and 4th in assists. There's such a ridiculous bias for Man City for pretty much everything. Ollie Watkins was the clear runaway winner in my eyes.

24 minutes ago, FLiam said:

Juventus job I reckon.

I'm curious to see if this is indeed what happens because Motta has been heavily linked to the Juve job for months now. I could easily see him ending up at Bayern too.

Bayern seems the more likely shout than Juve, looking at it.

I don't even think it's a bad move for Brighton, they could get Potter back or go for someone like McKenna at Ipswich. They've slipped back as this season has worn on, and on merit (you know what I mean) are level on points with Everton.

In that BBC article they cite "one panelist believed that it was a penalty" twice (the other incident being Gusto in the Brighton game, which was about the 50th stupid ref call in that game so kind of got lost in the muddle). I wonder if in both cases it's the same person acting as the singular sane voice against the other four...

My only possible ideas for the panel's reasoning (which they don't give) are:

a) "Getting studs in your achilles while at full speed is insufficient to impede Gordon because we have no realistic comprehension of how physics and/or the human body works"

or

b) "We're closing the ranks and agreeing with the referees who were on the pitch/VAR that day, because to do otherwise opens a bigger can of worms for us"

I literally cannot think of another alternative.

Rooney put it nicely the other night - when you're taking ages to make decisions and delaying the action on the pitch, and STILL coming to the wrong decision afterwards, maybe we should just stick to the decision of the referee.

I've always taken a photo whether at the game or watching it with mates (may not necessarily be of the footy but still) and these last 9 years under Jurgen I've had some absolutely cracking times and memories that'll last a life time. 

The Dortmund comeback, the day/night out for Kiev 18, Barca 4-0, the day/night out for Madrid 19 and then the killer of a hangover waiting for the parade, songs that are associated with some matches that we used at the wedding such as One Kiss and songs that Jamie Webster has done. Finally winning the title, the quad attempt ending in a cup double and this years league cup final. There's too many good ones to count but even things like the first time we could watch the match after Covid when we got 3rd (somehow), asking my mates to be groomsmen after we watched the game or getting bladdered on wine after we watched Leeds beat us at Anfield. 

Absolute emotional wreck today but I'm so glad I've managed to have these experiences with friends and family and memories I've got for life . Jurgen is what I've had and my dad had Paisley/Kenny. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Turns out this was posted yesterday but noticing it now

Thoughts @Colly?

What is the point of these panels? The game has been and gone now, wrong decision at the time or not.

It just fosters this resentment towards refs and the officiating - resentment that exists because these mistakes are seemingly constant and very difficult.