Formula One 2024

Lineker

It'd be a shame for Sainz to lose his seat, he was really good last season. I know there's rumours linking him with the Audi project so perhaps he knows this is on the cards.

It'd be fascinating to see Hamilton in a Ferrari. Seems an alien concept but we've seen so many top tier guys in that car and it hasn't gone well for a lot of them over a 30-40 year span.

• Like 1

This is a really weird one, and I'm not entirely sure it's the best of ideas for him. At least he'll be loved in Italy now.

Who Mercedes get in will be interesting, assuming Sainz is a lock for an Audi seat in 2026 they probably wouldn't want him for just one season, and their reserve driver ranks aren't exactly as stacked when they had Russell waiting in the wings.

Maybe the big return for Mick Schumacher is on? :shifty:

Also, it's crazy that the biggest transfer on transfer deadline day is going to be in a completely different sport.

• Haha 3

I guess Mercedes were more consistent than Ferrari last season but Ferrari got much closer to challenging Red Bull for wins and obviously won in Singapore too (although Mercedes should have probably won that). I think since the regulations came in Ferrari have definitely had the better car but they've also still been so far off Red Bull so it's definitely a gamble.

When Hamilton radios in that his tyres are gone, Ferrari are not going to realise he's saying that because he's about to do his fastest lap and they're going to pit him. Probably onto Hards with five laps to go and into traffic.

I didn't realise Lewis had such a strong connection with Fred Vasseur from before F1, so I wonder if that's part of the reason he's made the decision.

Its reported that the Ferrari contract has been signed, and the Mercedes personnel have been briefed that Lewis is leaving, so... it's properly done. It's going to be so weird seeing him in red.

I did wonder how he got out of his 2 year deal, I bet Mercedes didn't think that release option was going to get triggered when they put in the contract though.

Sainz is making the best of it, but this must feel like a kick in the teeth when he's done nothing wrong. 

And I was right, it does look weird.

GFRkcIRWwAAnWgE?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Sainz to Audi has been the rumour for a while, so I'm guessing he was always half-expecting something to go against him keeping the seat for 2025.

Does slightly fuck up Albon's plans, you assume. Wouldn't be shocked if Merc got safe with Ocon for a couple years, then go for Kimi Antonelli in 27/28.

• Like 1