Formula One 2024

Lineker

3 hours ago, Adam said:

That livery is glorious. Hope they win the race in it.

There's so many races now, every team should have 2 designated races a season for things like this. Throwbacks, tributes and sure, corporate tie-ins. Would be fun to see up and down the grid.

Throwbacks seem to be talked about a lot, and I'd love to see it, I just don't see how it works in the money-driven sponsor climate of F1. 

As an example, the yellow Jordan Benson & Hedges/Bitten & Hisses livery is pretty iconic, but Aramco and Cognizant aren't just going to be happy for Aston Martin to run a different livery to promote a brand that isn't paying for the privilege. Plus there would be uproar with that, or if McLaren ran a Marlboro or West livery, even if the tobacco products weren't named, and so many of the iconic liveries are tobacco-related (Camel or Rothmans for Williams, Mild Seven for Alpine/Renault, the John Player Special livery for anyone who wants it etc.)

I would pay to see Red Bull race in a Jaguar livery though.

Yeah colours are colours, it's not like I'd expect the tobacco brand logos on the car too. A McLaren running a Prost/Senna 80s livery in red & white doesn't have to be anything to do with Marlboro, even if that was the reason at the time.

Teams can get creative with it, as they often do when they run these one-off liveries. Well, not Ferrari but in general. We've seen good efforts from McLaren, Mercedes and those testing Red Bulls before.

• Like 2

Max hit the wall at the start of his last lap, so he's down in 6th. Virtually unwinnable from there round Monaco.

Leclerc, Piastri, Sainz top 3 is great. This is a proper fight now at the front, finally.

4 hours ago, Adam said:

Virtually unwinnable from there round Monaco.

Max wins by 15 seconds

A wonderful stat from Reddit:

Logan Sargent has been out-qualified by Alex Albon in every race they've both competed in (0-29), but during that time, Sargent has out-qualified Sergio Perez in the constructors championship winning/leading Red Bull five times.

• Haha 1

Assuming that was K-Mag's fault, and seeing as he didn't back out when he rally should have, I wonder if that will be the penalty points he needs to get suspended.

Oh, and Crofty said the same thing as I type this.

A lot going on here.

Magnussen caused that crash, destroyed his team's entire race and Perez obviously.

Sainz broke his car trying to pass Piastri at the start.

Gasly and Ocon have collided yet again.

Fascinating to see what they do with the restart grid.

If there's any proof needed for how well the wheels are now tethered to the cars, among the wreckage of Perez's car his two front wheels ended up neatly in a row underneath his chassis.

r/formula1 - Perez Car after opening lap incident.

Granted, the rear left does appear to be missing.

• Like 2

I'm still old enough (and watched the most infamous US racing death live) where when I see a picture of a car like that I immediately assume the worst. Really a testament to how much focus has been placed on making these vehicles as safe as they can - right down to doing whatever they can so the tires don't just go flying off.

• Like 2

"We gain nothing by driving faster" may be the most depressing radio message in the history of motor sport.

The Sky team seem to have resorted to begging people to keep watching.

• Like 1

The curse is over.

By which I mean Charles' curse at Monaco, and also the curse of watching this race.

That was quite an emotional podium ceremony though. And Prince Albert is getting involved with the champagne spraying :lol:.