The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Metal Gear Acid was good on PSP although it was a bit out there story-wise. Great concept with the card movement though. Football Manager was good, Cricket Captain was good and the Pro Cycling Managers were fun when you got past the fact that they were much more limited than the PC version. Locoroco was great as was Patapon.

So yeah, basically the things that WEREN'T console style games.

Can't wait to try out Football Manager on the Vita. I sunk so many hours into the PSP versions.

Can't wait to try out Football Manager on the Vita. I sunk so many hours into the PSP versions.

Any confirmed date yet? I've seen a few thrown around, one as late as December 31st. Hope it's before then.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't been announced yet. I'm hoping it gets plenty of hype as I'd like to see more Vita games do well, but on the other hand, if it gets a late release, I might be more inclined to pick it up alongside an inevitably cheaper PC version.

Hey, Europe, PS+ update!

PS4

29th November: RESOGUN
29th November: Contrast

PS3

27th November: GRID 2
27th November: Guacamelee! (Cross Buy)

VITA

27th November: Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed
27th November: Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories (PSP/VITA)

Albeit downloadable ones, but yes. Well, there was supposed to be Drive Club but even that was just a 'version' of the full game.

I've said it before but this is where the whole PS+ vs Gold thing will be truly tested. If PS+ keeps up it's record of giving out cool shit then great.

FUCKING YES! Sonic All Stars for Vita! So psyched. That game is ridiculously priced, I can get the PS3 version for 1/4 of the price. But it seems like it'd be so much fucking fun for a portable game. Can't wait for that to release on PS+.

The thing that's always put me off about Sony and its handhelds, is the focus that they seem to have on giving you a console experience on a handheld.

Motherfucker, I'll just play the console if I want a console experience.

Yeah, Killzone Mercenary is a pretty great example of why that doesn't really work.

It's bizarre to me, because they keep pushing for the console experience, but they never seem to focus on a genre that works for it. I think the only PSP/Vita games I found really did it any good were Peace Walker, Uncharted and Little Big Planet. And Uncharted really felt a little out of place, even though it ultimately worked.

Wait, what? Killzone is the best handheld FPS I've ever played. The story is shite and predictable, but it's a lot of fun, looks fantastic. The touch pad integration is solid (rear pad controlling the sniper scope zoom is a personal favourite) and I enjoyed the mutliplayer almost as much as I would on a home console. More modes and weapons would have been nice, but it was a sterling effort nonetheless.

Edit: I will say that it was a far greater experience once I'd purchased a good controller grip, made stickhandling far easier.

• Like 1

It just didn't connect for me. Don't get me wrong, it's the closest you can get to recreating a console shooter on the Vita, but I kind of wish someone had stopped to ask if you really need a console shooter on the Vita. I feel like they missed a trick by going for the more accuracy based shooting of a game like Killzone when the overall experience would've been better from something closer to something like Team Fortress 2 or Left 4 Dead. I don't know, it didn't work for me. It was definitely a fucking great attempt, but I just didn't feel like the type of FPS they created really worked on the smaller screen.

Not to mention the Vita sticks are awful for accuracy. I mean, it's not as bad as the 3DS', but still not great.