The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Apparently PS4 controllers will be digital, not analogue, which to you and me basically means the face buttons now have two states, on and off, and don't register how long a button is held down for. They've done this because of "lack of developer support".

But surely, this completely changes stuff like passing and shooting in football games, which relies on buttons being tapped or held, or am I missing something?

Edit: Pretty sure now that I read it wrong somewhere.

PS+ question for you guys. We'd rather not buy 2 subscriptions right now. Will we both still be able to play the free games on our accounts or do we need to play on the same one?

From what I found, PS+ accounts are per console and not per account so you should be good with one sub.

Apparently PS4 controllers will be digital, not analogue, which to you and me basically means the face buttons now have two states, on and off, and don't register how long a button is held down for. They've done this because of "lack of developer support".

But surely, this completely changes stuff like passing and shooting in football games, which relies on buttons being tapped or held, or am I missing something?

Edit: Pretty sure now that I read it wrong somewhere.

Sounds like someone's getting confused between being able to hold down a button, and varying degrees of being pressed (e.g. only half pressing shoot). I didn't even realise you could do this on PS3 which probably indicates its the right move.

The only games to use face button sensitivity were metalgear solid and gran turismo. Both basically flag ships of Sony and that was it.

No baddar, it means how mmuch you push the button in. For gt5 it meant gas, whatever. Give a little gas with a light push.

Now it will only be the triggers on top that do this, meaning that really nothings changed except the cost is a little lower to make for that part. Given its still got analogue triggers and a touchpad, its not a huge savings to Sony. But hey, 10 cents times 100 million sales is a lot of cash (as an example)

Also guacamelee is five star awesome

So my brother is moaning and bitching to me that none of his PSN friends are showing on the list.. this happening to anybody else? A quick google search reveals nothing.

It's a cool idea in theory - but a pain in the ass depending on what the action of mid press and full press would be. Not to mention that seems like something that could be broken on a controller without anyone realizing it and that would cause a whole other ton of problems.

I took the external hard drive thing to mean no installing game data on there. I'm not sure if you can even do that on PS3. But when you easily swap out in the internal hard drive, Sony is a lot less restrictive than MS. If you can't use a USB stick or whatever to watch video files then yeah, that'd suck.

As would the music thing, especially when they're pushing their $60 a year subscription service instead but for both it's ultimately going to come down to personal preference. I don't use music too much on either 360 or PS3, it's a nice thing to have but it wouldn't be the end of the world not to.