The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

If anyone fancies something a bit out there but a very different and interesting experience then get Catherine from the "Big in Japan" section on the PS store (UK). £10.99 and you play a guy called Vincent who has to choose whether to marry his long term partner or go off with some woman who he meets. Day time is spent mostly in a bar, talking to folk, texting the ladies and [laying games and stuff. Nights are some kind of weird platformer. Well worth a try, I knew plenty of Japanese folk who loved it.

Yeah, I'm playing through Max Payne 3 at the minute. Haven't touched the multi at all but the single player is pretty good, even if it is very tough on the hard setting. You have to hit enemies from like halfway across the bloody map and you very rarely get a scoped weapon so you're left taking pot shots with your pistol from behind cover with nothing but a white reticule to help, set against the sunny Brazilian skyline with enough bloom to blind you.

It's a change of pace from most other shooters though since you don't have regenerating health, depending on painkillers which you have to search around levels for. I sometimes find myself restarting from my last checkpoint just to try and get a better outcome where I don't get shot as much and am able to continue with 2 painkillers instead of just 1. I feel they've missed a trick in not having a mini game like that where you have a little room of bad guys to clear and you'd be scored on head shots, fewest bullets fired etc.

But oh man, if you want to hear one surly motherfucker complain about the rich and the poor people in a struggling nation, this is your game.

If anyone fancies something a bit out there but a very different and interesting experience then get Catherine from the "Big in Japan" section on the PS store (UK). £10.99 and you play a guy called Vincent who has to choose whether to marry his long term partner or go off with some woman who he meets. Day time is spent mostly in a bar, talking to folk, texting the ladies and [laying games and stuff. Nights are some kind of weird platformer. Well worth a try, I knew plenty of Japanese folk who loved it.

It was available as a free playstation+ game a few weeks ago so I picked it up. I just can't get into the art style though.

I quite liked the idea of Catherine, and the story wasn't bad, but some of the platforming sections are very frustrating. There's a particular boss fight (if you can call it that, being that it's a timed platforming section against an enemy trying to kill you) near the end that I never, ever want to do again.

Granted, I'm sure there's some other game we'll all be playing in the immediate future, but next months lineup for EU PS+ is pretty sick:

Far Cry 3

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

The Great Giana Sisters

Vita:

Street Fighter X Tekken

Touch My Katamari

Coming on September 25th.

Both Far Cry and DD have been on my horizons and I have something of an interest in Giana Sisters after playing the DS version when I learnt of the interesting history behind the original title (basically a complete knockoff of Super Mario Bros that got pulled from store shelves by Nintendo). Plus those are another two stellar titles to have if I ever pick up a Vita.

Granted, I'm sure there's some other game we'll all be playing in the immediate future, but next months lineup for EU PS+ is pretty sick:

Far Cry 3

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

The Great Giana Sisters

Vita:

Street Fighter X Tekken

Touch My Katamari

Coming on September 25th.

Both Far Cry and DD have been on my horizons and I have something of an interest in Giana Sisters after playing the DS version when I learnt of the interesting history behind the original title (basically a complete knockoff of Super Mario Bros that got pulled from store shelves by Nintendo). Plus those are another two stellar titles to have if I ever pick up a Vita.

I had Giana Sisters for my Amiga, and it was indeed a complete ripoff of Mario Brothers even down to level layout. Got to admit I was surprised to see the name used again on a new game.

I had Giana Sisters for my Amiga, and it was indeed a complete ripoff of Mario Brothers even down to level layout. Got to admit I was surprised to see the name used again on a new game.

Proper game? I imagine it's probably quite rare if you've still got it!