Beijing Olympics 2008

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Great Britain will finish 4th in the medals table. 5th in the gold.

If they can even come close to repeating a cycling performance like they did in the world cup then we'll be alright.

Great Britain will finish 4th in the medals table. 5th in the gold.

If they can even come close to repeating a cycling performance like they did in the world cup then we'll be alright.

Seeing as you guys finished 10th in the last two, that'd be a pretty damn good improvement :P

You knew it was coming Zaz.

Pretty good improvement I'd say. Sets the bar extremely high for 2012 but we're going to go and pull out all the stops until then and make sure we have as many great athletes as we can find for the events.

A brilliant all round Games. Less media about the drugs cheats, and more just about the athletes.

I feel I have to address to 'Chinese bias' that we're all whinging at. Right, young or not in the team event I would go as far to say that in Gymnastics, the Chinese girls were better than the American girls. An American girl still managed to win number one. I think it was more biased in the mens final, but at the end of the day Fang Wei was a very, very good gymnast and done everything very well.

Diving is pretty much China's favourite sport. It'd be like GB excelling at cycling, Jamaica at track, Australia at... whatever they do. So it was pretty obvious China were going to dominate on the medals front there, the fact that an Australia managed to beat out two Chinese guys into the final of the 10m platform - the big grandaddy of the diving events - says something.

The boxing had its moments, but it's not like China clean sweeped all of the medals so it kind of evens out.

I think there was biasism like you'd expect, but not to the degree some people were whinging about. Maybe it was easier for me to comment as we weren't really competing with the Chinese in gymnastics or diving so I could be more impartial than some American posters who had athletes right up there looking for medals too.

I don't think anyones going to remember the Olympics for "the young Chinese girls" or the "biased judging" unless your just a bit bitter or the USA's womens gymnastics coach or her prick of a husband.

Just how I see it. And the results came out as I expected. The huge countries with large populations make up the top 3, and we were great just be right behind them. We actually got the 4th highest amounts of medals, and the 4th highest amount of golds I believe. So we even managed to improve on my already high expectations.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Rudd decides to put a lot of money into funding Olympic sports just so we can try and beat you on your home soil >_>

Anyway, great Olympics from Australia's point of view as well. We might not have beaten the Brits, but they've been pumping money in to build up for when they host it in 2012 (as we did for Sydney in 2000). My favourite moments probably had to be the German weightlifter, Jamaica in the sprinting, Steve Hooker winning the pole vault, Australia's performances in the team events, Sally McLellan getting silver in the hurdles and, in general, just watching the Aussies compete.

Bring on the Commonwealth games :pervert:

The German weightlifter was immense, the 105kg+ guy who went berserk when he won. It was epic to see him lie over the weights and kiss the floor.

I also liked the Slovenian sailer who came second to a Brit, but with the way he celebrated you'd think he'd won.

I only know there is more than the first verse due to the Room 101 episode with Phil Jupitus. It's clearly acient as I think one of the verses talks about killing Scots, a noble sport it might be but I don't think we've undertaken it in a while.

And oh dear, here comes Boris! He's gonna do a bunk, the flag's gonna go up in flames when he accidentally puts it near the torch. :shifty:

Ahhh sauntering along with his hands in his pockets, chatting away without a car in the world.

We'd never get this brilliance with Red Ken Livingstone.

I actually don't mind the logo with the British flag as the colours. The pastels are a big nono though.

PLAY STAIRWAY!

Bwahahaha.

Sadly we've left the "yoofy" world of England, footy, people in wheelchairs, privey hedges, wheelchairs and funky 2012 logos with dancing hotpants and returned to etherial slow motion music and dancing Chinese-style. Boo we rock, China suck. :pervert:

Well we had Jimmy Paige, China, when it finally reveals it's modern day vibes can only boast some horribly generic 90s Euroband style dance abomination.

Our opening ceremony should just be one big music gig and then we'd own. We need to play to our strengths. Though no reality TV winners please.

We need to bring out all the stops. We need someone to go round and gather up like 500 of the most attractive women we can find and use them in our opening and closing ceremony.

Fuck, we'll take foreigners and give them British passports if they want. We need make it the most beautiful thing ever <_<

"I see the atheletes are being marshalled so there's no invasion this time." (In reference to atheletes invading the stage during Diana Ross' peformance in Atlanta 1996)

"Yes, marshalling, that's something China does very well."

Oh dear.

Edited by King eLLis

I have a horrible feeling our opening ceremony will include Chris Moyles introducing the Pigeon Detectives :(

The bubble will have burst on Chris Moyles long before 2012...

Colin Murray introducing Snow Patrol; now that's something I can get behind!

If by bubble burst you mean struck down by cancer, we can hope.