Beijing Olympics 2008

Guest Mr. Potato Head

200m Men's Final SPOILERS!

NEW WORLD RECORD! Usain Bolt beats the World Record, INTO A HEADWIND! Holy Shit.

Did he at least run it out this time? :shifty:

Yes. Although part of me thinks he could still go faster. He was on the shoulder of the lad in his outside lane in about 3 paces. Pretty much ahead of everyone coming out of the bend except Walter Dix. Who lasted about a whole of 0.1 seconds in front of him once they hit the straight.

Chaurandy Martina came 2nd too. Which was nice to see.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NEW WORLD RECORD! Usain Bolt beats the World Record, INTO A HEADWIND! Holy Shit.

Yes. Although part of me thinks he could still go faster. He was on the shoulder of the lad in his outside lane in about 3 paces. Pretty much ahead of everyone coming out of the bend except Walter Dix. Who lasted about a whole of 0.1 seconds in front of him once they hit the straight.

I demand a drugs test. But nah, he was amazing in both the 100m and 200m Finals. Apparently, he's the 9th person to win both in the same Olympics.

No he didnt cause he ran out his lane so he got DQ'd
Edited by justblaze09

Can someone explain how the hell the medals are decided in Softball? I'm looking at the results now, and...

The US beat Japan, Australia beat Canada.

So then Japan beat Australia in a playoff, with the Aussies getting bronze, and the Japanese facing the US - who've already beaten them - tomorrow for the Gold/Silver.

How the fuck does that work? Why have Canada been completely ignored, but not Japan? Why have the Australians only got a Bronze after winning a semi final?

Wouldn't it be far more sensible to have Canada vs. Japan, winner gets bronze. Then USA vs. Australia in the Gold/Silver match? Y'know, like every other sport? Imagine in the football world cup, England beat Germany on penalties in the semi final, while Brazil beat Italy. Then Brazil have play Germany, Germany win, and Germany beat England in the final and become world champions. There'd be fucking uproar. It's completely retarded.

Can someone explain how the hell the medals are decided in Softball? I'm looking at the results now, and...

The US beat Japan, Australia beat Canada.

So then Japan beat Australia in a playoff, with the Aussies getting bronze, and the Japanese facing the US - who've already beaten them - tomorrow for the Gold/Silver.

How the fuck does that work? Why have Canada been completely ignored, but not Japan? Why have the Australians only got a Bronze after winning a semi final?

Wouldn't it be far more sensible to have Canada vs. Japan, winner gets bronze. Then USA vs. Australia in the Gold/Silver match? Y'know, like every other sport? Imagine in the football world cup, England beat Germany on penalties in the semi final, while Brazil beat Italy. Then Brazil have play Germany, Germany win, and Germany beat England in the final and become world champions. There'd be fucking uproar. It's completely retarded.

The US/Japan game (#1 vs #2) was to put the winner in the final. Australia/Canada was an elimination game. The Aussies eliminated Canada 5-3. Japan and Australia then played a game where the winner made the final and the loser got the bronze. Japan then eliminated the Aussies in 3rd with a 4-3 win. That leaves the US and Japan playing for the gold/silver in the final.

If they seeded it the way other sports do we would have had USA/Canada and Australia/Japan. One would assume the US would have beaten Canada and if the result was the same in Australia/Japan we would have still had the US vs Japan for 1/2 and Canada getting a chance to win the bronze against the Aussies. It's a convoluted system, but it's designed to punish the 3/4 loser and still give the 1/2 loser a chance at winning the gold since they're in theory one of the two best teams anyway.

Even in college softball they always had the double elimination rule until the finals, which meant a team could lose and still win the National Title if they lost at the right time. Then they went to a best of 3 final a few years ago, which means a team could lose twice and still become the champ as long as they lost in round robin and then won 2 of the 3 games in the final. I don't know why they just do single elimination from start to finish and make life easier for everyone.

Edited by naiwf

That's lame. If they're going to go to those lengths to make sure the two top seeds go through to the final, why not just not bother inviting all the other teams? :P

All I know is, if I'd won something called a semi-final, I'd expect to be in the final...

You have to earn the top 2 seeds by playing everyone else in the field. The US had the best record by not losing, and Japan was #2 since they only lost to the US. What they should just do is have #3 play #4 for the bronze and #1 play #2 for the other two medals. It would reduce confusion, but this doesn't matter since softball has been whacked because the English don't want to see our dominance continue in London :shifty:

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Scott Russell will host CBC's prime-time coverage for the rest of the Games because Ron Maclean's mother died.

I guess it could be worse. :shifty:

Guest Mr. Potato Head
Womens' Beach Volleyball:

Well that was a humbling. There have been some dominant performances at this Olympic games, and May and Walsh rank among those. They really are just a perfect team.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but surely 108 straight wins indicates that they've been dominating for more than two weeks. :shifty: