Beijing Olympics 2008

Guest Mr. Potato Head

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

South Korea vs. Cuba Baseball/Gold Medal game

I was thinking South Korea was gonna get screwed. It looked like Bell went down looking and the batter before that there were at least two pitches that should've been strikes but got called as balls, but South Korea still managed to pull it out. Good job.

Just as you assume the Olympics have had pretty much all you could imagine outside a pro-Tibet terrorist attack, a Cuban tae-kwon-do..ist(?) attacks a referee after being declared the loser.

Good job its only tae-kwon-do and not one of the more attacking martial arts or the judge could have been in trouble :o

Edited by IAceI

So glad the taekwondo was overturned. The commentator on BBC Olympics live feed was totally fuming saying that due to the pro-China judging elsewhere (The Italians have apparantly been screwed badly on at least 6 occassions) she'd have had to practically broken the Chinese girl in half to win...And then she nearly took her head off with a stunning kick a few seconds from the end and it wasn't counted.... The commentator then said "I guess she needed to spit down her neck as well to get the win". Heh brilliant. I love indignance and the feeling of being wronged....Glad it was overturned though and a great bronze considering she'd been fighting with a badly twisted ankle and was having pain killing injections in her foot throughout.

So glad the taekwondo was overturned. The commentator on BBC Olympics live feed was totally fuming saying that due to the pro-China judging elsewhere (The Italians have apparantly been screwed badly on at least 6 occassions) she'd have had to practically broken the Chinese girl in half to win...And then she nearly took her head off with a stunning kick a few seconds from the end and it wasn't counted.... The commentator then said "I guess she needed to spit down her neck as well to get the win". Heh brilliant. I love indignance and the feeling of being wronged....Glad it was overturned though and a great bronze considering she'd been fighting with a badly twisted ankle and was having pain killing injections in her foot throughout.

Well this pro-China judging has screwed almost every country, in judging sports in the Olympics.

Example: Gymnastics >_>

And isn't it strange that the Olympics is the only thing I root for Britain to win?

Edited by IzzyX

Surely it's the IOC's fault for allowing the host city to pick the judges...

Is that true?

Fucking eh. All the medals are ours in 2010!

I don't know but I assume that the organisers get in contact with international referees... So therefore in a way, can pick the referess they like...

Plus, a lot of the referees have looked asian; like in the football where some of the decisions were laughable.

Surely it's the IOC's fault for allowing the host city to pick the judges...

Is that true?

Fucking eh. All the medals are ours in 2010!

Now that would be impressive, winning them two years before the opening ceremony :shifty:

Also, medals table spoilers (well, someone would've moaned...)

fuck Russia. Where did that come from? Saving them all up, were they? :(
Edited by Farmer Reil

I could see it happening, i'd say the Americans are better players, but doesn't always mean they'll win. I can imagine alot of them are prima donnas, and that the Spain would probably be more cohesive.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/bas...USAimage-080823

Im sorry but I had to argue that point

I could see it happening, i'd say the Americans are better players, but doesn't always mean they'll win. I can imagine alot of them are prima donnas, and that the Spain would probably be more cohesive.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/bas...USAimage-080823

Im sorry but I had to argue that point

I'm capped atm so the page won't load, but as one of our commentators was saying (Andrew Gaze, I think), they have done a lot off the court to 'redeem' their image (such as attending all the womens matches, having signing sessions with fans etc.), but on the court they were the same old, eg. a US player barges over an Aussie, gives away a foul and doesn't even bother helping the bloke up (even when they were 30 up), just put his hands on his hips and looked away. They still let themselves down on the court quite a bit, I think all the redeeming stuff was organised by the officials if anything (if you could post the article here that'd be great).

Diving

Aussie Matthew Mitcham breaks the Chinese dominance by winning gold with a final dive scoring 112 (the max. mark for the dive is 114), meaning the Chinese only got to win 7 of the 8 diving medals on offer :shifty:
Edited by Zaz

Fucking lol at the taekwondo, the cuban kicking the refs head.

And quoted from a bbc report '"This is an insult to the Olympic vision, an insult to the spirit of taekwondo and, in my opinion, an insult to mankind," said WTF secretary-general Yang Jin-suk. '

The Secretary of WTF XD