General Television Thread

Hellfire

On 19/03/2019 at 20:00, Bobfoc said:

I read an interview in which the makers of Love, Death and Robots said it was inspired by Heavy Metal, the cult 1981 film. Are they similar in any way other than the anthology structure? If it is, it won't interest me because I thought Heavy Metal was trashy nonsense whose soundtrack was its only appeal. If not, I might give it a look.

Ha, Heavy Metal is wild - it's one of my friends favourite films and she did a screening of it underneath a pub for her birthday. I'd say that's definitely the way to watch it - with like thirty other people slowly getting drunk. 

Can't think of a better place to put it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47711535

Jussie Smollett: Prosecutors drop all charges against actor

Prosecutors have dropped all charges against US actor Jussie Smollett for allegedly staging a racist and homophobic attack.

The Empire star attended a court hearing in Chicago on Tuesday, where a judge sealed the case.

Mr Smollett, 36, pleaded not guilty this month to 16 counts of disorderly conduct for allegedly lying to police.

The city's mayor assailed the prosecutors' decision to drop the charges as a "whitewash of justice".

Mr Smollett told reporters after his court appearance: "I have been truthful and consistent on every single level since day one.

"I would not be my mother's son if I was capable of one drop of what I've been accused of."

What did prosecutors say?

The office of Cook County State's Attorney Kimberly Foxx said in a statement: "After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr Smollett's volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case."

It remains unclear why prosecutors dropped the charges against Mr Smollett.

But according to the Chicago Sun-Times, Chicago police Supt Eddie Johnson was not briefed on the decision to drop the charges.

Though police provide the state's attorney office with evidence, it is ultimately up to prosecutors whether to pursue a case.

Mr Smollett voluntarily agreed to give up his $10,000 (£7,500) bail money, his lawyer said, emphasising there had been no deal with state prosecutors.

So... uhh... what?

I’ve seen people getting mad over this. I don’t get why. I understand that part of the argument is that IF it was faked (I still don’t find that clear, especially as the CPD is infamously corrupt, so I default to believing him) it then supposedly makes it harder to believe people who “actually” get assaulted. But. Like. Believe them anyway? I don’t see why it’s complicated.

And otherwise, who was ultimately hurt, even if it was faked? The other argument I’ve heard there (I heard plenty yesterday, given that I live in Chicago) is that it wastes police resources. First of all, I shed no tears for the CPD. Second, they have a massively disproportionate budget. Meanwhile, our schools and social services keep getting cut. Nobody was hurt, no matter what happened.

But people get mad about it. What does it matter to you, that you’d have that reaction? Even our mayor and one of our mayoral candidates (both known for covering police corruption) have made public statements of outrage or some miscarriage of justice. Bullshit. What does it matter? It’s a private matter that only involved someone getting hurt if he WAS attacked.

If anything, I’m very glad the charges were dropped. But in any case, I got no time for people being mad about it.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Josh to the World said:

I’ve seen people getting mad over this. I don’t get why. I understand that part of the argument is that IF it was faked (I still don’t find that clear, especially as the CPD is infamously corrupt, so I default to believing him) it then supposedly makes it harder to believe people who “actually” get assaulted. But. Like. Believe them anyway? I don’t see why it’s complicated.

And otherwise, who was ultimately hurt, even if it was faked? The other argument I’ve heard there (I heard plenty yesterday, given that I live in Chicago) is that it wastes police resources. First of all, I shed no tears for the CPD. Second, they have a massively disproportionate budget. Meanwhile, our schools and social services keep getting cut. Nobody was hurt, no matter what happened.

But people get mad about it. What does it matter to you, that you’d have that reaction? Even our mayor and one of our mayoral candidates (both known for covering police corruption) have made public statements of outrage or some miscarriage of justice. Bullshit. What does it matter? It’s a private matter that only involved someone getting hurt if he WAS attacked.

If anything, I’m very glad the charges were dropped. But in any case, I got no time for people being mad about it.

Something is fishy about the whole thing

12 minutes ago, Josh to the World said:

Why does it matter?

It is a massive miscarriage of justice that he was beaten for being black and gay and nothing will be done about it.

On 15/03/2019 at 16:24, Owen said:

(EDIT: Cliff isn't credited in season 1's opening, but Norm is

Ah! I knew that there was something I remembered from when I last watched a lot of Cheers re-runs. It was that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josh to the World said:

I figured Matt Berry would be perfect.

Yes, I can hear you Clem Fandango!

I was a bit apprehensive when they announced that the cast from the film wouldn't be returning, but he's so good. The first thing I saw him in was The IT Crowd, and I fell in love with him there. Hopefully some of the original cast returns for cameos or supporting roles throughout the show... and Noel Fielding.

Santa Clarita Diet season 3 is good. Just finished it.

season finale spoilers:

Spoiler

Oh shit! Joel is either undead at best or Mr. Ball Legs has taken his body at worst.

• Like 2