2010 Winter Olympics

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Guest DroMPHo

But in an inning, the Yankees take all their at bats and then the Jays take their three or (if they're lucky) four. Curling goes back and forth. Yes, curling is divided into ends just like baseball into innings or football into quarters, but baseball shouldn't be the only point of reference, especially when it's mostly because a curling scoresheet looks like a baseball line score. I'm half-expecting viewers to wonder why every end is a shutout.

Of course curling should be explained to American audiences who aren't familiar with it, I just find this particular comparison ridiculous :P

But in an inning, the Yankees take all their at bats and then the Jays take their three or (if they're lucky) four. Curling goes back and forth. Yes, curling is divided into ends just like baseball into innings or football into quarters, but baseball shouldn't be the only point of reference, especially when it's mostly because a curling scoresheet looks like a baseball line score. I'm half-expecting viewers to wonder why every end is a shutout.

Of course curling should be explained to American audiences who aren't familiar with it, I just find this particular comparison ridiculous :P

Good point on the shutout part. Yeah, I've been using the innings method to explain to people. Have been explaining the alternating throws though.

Guest DroMPHo

I'm also wishing these guys would occasionally cut over to the other sheet the way TSN/CTV always do...instead we get "there's a lot of cheering going on, Canada must have done something good". Then again Catalon might have enough trouble focusing on one game to be asked to look at a second. <_<

I'm also wishing these guys would occasionally cut over to the other sheet the way TSN/CTV always do...instead we get "there's a lot of cheering going on, Canada must have done something good". Then again Catalon might have enough trouble focusing on one game to be asked to look at a second. <_<

NBC coverage is usually Americans only....unless it is a Gold Medal event. I've been surprised we've seen the two Canadian women hockey games so far. Can't wait for the game tonight....thankfully CNBC is airing it.

Guest DroMPHo

Well I was expecting 95% to be the American game, but 'this is what's going on ten feet to the left' seemed like it might come up when something big happened.

Also, Catalon just took a guess at what the US would try to do with their next shot and Don Duguid (the other commentator, who is both Canadian and awesome) said "Andrew, you got it perfectly!" sounding just like a parent glad that his five-year-old was able to finish tying their shoes.

I seriously don't get the appeal of curling. Its not much of a sport..if anything its a game because it requires more strategic thinking then athletic ability. The most action is consists of is guys yelling "HARD!!" To be honest..it LOOKS like quite a dull game..

Yet every year its been an Olympic event...I sit glued to my TV and watch it with an insane amount of interest. I actually requested today off of work just so I could be sure to catch some of it this year..

I seriously don't get the appeal of curling. Its not much of a sport..if anything its a game because it requires more strategic thinking then athletic ability. The most action is consists of is guys yelling "HARD!!" To be honest..it LOOKS like quite a dull game..

Yet every year its been an Olympic event...I sit glued to my TV and watch it with an insane amount of interest. I actually requested today off of work just so I could be sure to catch some of it this year..

This is the same with me. I learn so much about curling during the olympics and seem to enjoy it, but then the next olympics I'm lost again and have to learn it over again. Outside of Olympic Curling, you'll never catch me watching a game, but there's something about this time of year where I'll watch just about anything having to do with Olympics.

I remember when the Olympics were on 4 different outlets for NBC .... no we get one (here in the DC area anyway). While I mean no offense to anyone that particularly enjoys the snowboarding downhill thing that was on yesterday ... I would have much preffered to watch the Men\'s Downhil, a sport with much more history and meaning to it (at least for the Olympics). The coverage has been crap in my opinion ... It seems like it went from being able to choose between 2 or 3 events to lucky if there\'s even another one on.

Right now I'm going back and forth between Women's Snowboardcross, which has gotten off to a horrible start, and USA vs Switzerland hockey. They've been talking about Men's Short Program for skating but so far I don't see a channel that's going to actually focus on it. At least there will always be coverage for hockey.

So papers in the States and the UK are either implying or flat out stating that the Canadian officials caused the death of the luger by seriously restricting his and other non-Canadian atheletes time on the course. AS A METHOD TO WIN MORE MEDALS.

SERIOUSLY?

I love that that has been reported as if no other host nation has employed those kinds of tactics before.

The Canadian officials caused the death of the luger by not making one more trip to Home Depot and scoring one more sheet of plywood. Cheap Canuck fucks. :shifty:

So is this boarder cross just not suited for female riders, or is there something up with teh conditions. Lots of them crashing out in qualifying so far.

I think it's a bit of both. I expected the women to have better times due to their smaller stature but I think when it comes to snowboarding it hurts them because they simply don't have the leg strength that the men possess.

Just to clarify, I meant this course in particular, not the sport in general. I know the visigibility was shagged earlier on, but it looks clearer now and they still had trouble sticking the landings and that.

Oh, and I think Gillings should've been bumped up a spot or two for having such a classy-looking fall.

Why did the commentator just give the local time for the finals rather than our broadcast time? Western Canada time is useless to me!

Yeah, I've noticed that but assumed it was just because of the track was getting worse as time wore on.

I don't know where you guys are up to right now, So i'll stick my observations about the Aussie girls run in spoilers.

Man did she wreck hard, I was afraid she was really hurt then for a second