World Cup 2010 Thread

Common in the US and everywhere else. :shifty:

everyone bitches about the US not being sensitive to "everywhere else" .... but when they try to appeal to the worldwide audience ..... :P

I think Striker was good because for once, the US didn't make an overly assinine attempt to create something in an area in which they're way behind the power curve ... instead, they went for safe/simple/unobtrusive ... and while the dog is certainly a pet everywhere around the world, there is a common "American" stereotype of a family with a couple of kids, a white fenced in yard, a dog ...

Jesus...I hope the next World Cup mascot is not made by the makers of our Olympic mascot. Some weird-ass cyclops metal things...great.

The-2012-Olympic-and-Para-005.jpg

...Holy shit that is hideous.

You wouldn't think it were possible to out-do the logo for sheer stupidity, but they found a way.

On a random note, Zakumi (the WC 2010 mascot) is an awesome little guy. Not as big a compliment as it might seem of course, since the only past WC mascot who was nearly any good was Footix from France 98, while the rest of them were utter shite.

Zakumi.jpg

Come on now, World Cup Willie is a legend. Zakumi is great though, I agree, best mascot since Footix.

As for Group A, sure France haven't been fantastic but if they don't go through it would be a huge shock for me, they have enough quality even in poor form to get past Mexico, Uruguay and South Africa. I think South Africa will do well, perhaps just miss out on second spot. It's a tight group but I think I have to go with Mexico to qualify with France. Clearly Giovani Dos Santos will be the deciding factor :shifty:

That was amazing, the Homer and Kobe cameos made it.

Interesting that they showed England's Umbro kit, but didn't show Puma Kits.

Edited by The Cool One

That advert is fucking insane.

And re: the formula. After reading the right hand column I was optimistic but really, New Zealand? Serbia getting to the final? They blatantly used Yugoslavia for their formula which is skewered because all the best players went to Croatia >_>

But how funny would it be if we get Germany in the second round and go out. Ignoring the fact that it would be quite mortifying and not funny at all, it would be hilarious.

Spain VS France in the final ;) Villa to be Top-Goalscorer and England to lose to France in the quarters that's my prediction

I sort of want that volcano to erupt, locking off most flights in the week building up to the World Cup.

Just to see every Western European team frantically arranging mammoth coach journeys and getting there fatigued as hell.

As you can probably tell, I'm looking at the 125-1 offers of South Africa winning and scheming <_<

Italy cannot possibly win it having left Del Piero at home. Just impossible.

I think Serbia will do well and if they get the opponents that prediction has them playing they could well make it to the semi's but beating Spain, really? South Korea escaping their group let alone winning it made me laugh as well.