World Cup 2010 Thread

Group A

1. France

2. Mexico

3. South Africa

4. Uruguay

-France got lucky here. They got lucky to get into the tournament in the first place mind, if they had a tougher group I could easily see a repeat of their 2002 shambles. South Africa may have home turg but they are not good, they didn't even qualify for their own tournament (as in, they entered quali and failed miserably) and from what I've seen of Mexico I think they can easily beat them.

Group B

1. Argentina

2. Greece

3. South Korea

4. Nigeria

-Just like France, this is a lucky draw for the Argies, another who BARELY qualified. I think they will get through this as the competition isn't gonna be able to handle Messi, Aguero and co. Greece are a solid side and it'll b tight between them and an effective Korean side. Nigeria are the weakst side in this one by a distance IMO.

Group C

1. England

2. USA

3. Slovenia

4. Algeria

-Nice easy group to raise English hopes, we should edge out the US and beat the other two easily. Next.

Group D

1. Germany

2. Serbia

3. Ghana

4. Australia

-Serbia are a lot of peoples dark horse tip and for good reason. I'm joining the bandwagon. Ghana are effective but not enough to deal with Germany, they're game with Serbia will be physical and battling for sure. Australia may be lacking a bit too much in the way of quality to make an impact.

Group E

1. Holland

2. Denmark

3. Cameroon

4. Japan

-If Holland don't win every game I'll be amazed. Denmark and Cameroon will be close but I'm favouring the Danes who usually do well when they come to the finals.

Group F

1. Italy

2. Paraguay

3. Slovakia

4. New Zealand

-Paraguay looking better than ever shouldn't be troubled by the Slovakians and certainly not by the Kiwis.

Group G

1. Brazil

2. Ivory Coast

3. Portugal

4. North Korea

-Everyone is tipping a Portugese exit here. It'd be nice and it's definitely a possibility if the Ivorians can deliver on their potential. They look to be the strongest African nation and will always cause problems with Drogba playing up front.

Group H

1. Spain

2. Switzerland

3. Chile

4. Honduras

-A very tough call after Spain who should breeze through. I like the Swiss and think they're a solid side so I'll favour them but the Chileans have done really well recently and could easily go through.

Second Round

1. France def. Greece

2. Argentina def. Mexico

3. Serbia def. England

4. Germany def. USA

5. Holland def. Paraguay

6. Denmark def. Italy

7. Brazil def. Switzerland

8. Spain def. Ivory Coast

-The draw has been damn kind to Argentina and France. I think England hopes will be shockingly smashed at the hands of Serbia, ands I predict an Italian defeat as well. I'd like to think the Ivorians and Paraguay are capable of going further too but not if they get Spain and Holland.

Quarter Finals

A. Brazil def. Serbia

B. Germany def. Argentina

C. Holland def. France

D. Spain def. Denmark

-Four easy choices tbh, as soon as France and Argentina meet a truly top team they will struggle IMO. Denmark don't have enough to defeat Spain, likewise Serbia with Brazil.

Semi-Finals

1. Brazil def. Holland

2. Spain def. Germany

-For what it's worth, Holland to grab third place.

Final

Spain def. Brazil

-Spain are the best team in the world on their day, which seems to be nearly every day that they play. If Torres and Fabregas stay fit they should be able to do it.

Edited by AdamDRFC
  • Like 1

It seems Michael Essien has been ruled out of the World Cup.

Apparently, WWE Intercontinental champion Kofi Kingston called Michael and said "Hey, keep your chin up. You're gonna get another chance."

Group stage predictions:

Group A

1. France

2. Mexico

3. Uruguay

4. South Africa

As Austria and Switzerland proved in the Euros, you don't get a free ride as the host nation. I think they will only draw with Uruguay, but have worse results against France and Mexico. France all nine points, Mexico six.

Group B

1. Argentina

2. Greece

3. South Korea

4. Nigeria

I expect Argentina to dominate, and a lot of draws elsewhere with Greece edging out. Nigeria are having a notoriously bad run to the World Cup where they can't even find places to play at. That should hamper them.

Group C

1. England

2. USA

3. Slovenia

4. Algeria

Easy on paper - England will probably struggle to a win against USA, get effected by backlash from our retarded media, and grind out 1-0, 2-0 victories against the others. By far the least interesting group of the tournament as there are no if's or but's about the final positions.

Group D

1. Germany

2. Australia

3. Serbia

4. Ghana

Lightning won't strike twice for Ghana. I think Australia are a much better team now they face actual competition in the Qualifiers, which should see them overcome Serbia. Germany will pick up seven points, but I can't decide whether it's a draw against Australia or Serbia.

Group E

1. Holland

2. Cameron

3. Denmark

4. Japan

Holland dominate, whoever comes second place will definitely go out in the final 16. Next.

Group F

1. Italy

2. Paraguay

3. Slovakia

4. New Zealand

A weird group. Aren't every team but Italy the lowest ranked in the tournament minus South Africa? Italy obviously gets 9 points, and possible a goal difference of ten or so.

Group G

1. Brazil

2. Portugal

3. Ivory Coast

4. North Korea

Ivory Coast get the worst luck. An amazing team once again in the group of death, and not enough to overcome Brazil or Portugal, who I see going further than Brazil. Worst goal difference of the tournament will go to North Korea, with a 5-0 dubbing at least coming.

Group H

1. Spain

2. Honduras

3. Chile

4. Switzerland

Obvious winner. I hear Honduras are extremely good when at maximum potential, so I'll favour them.

I'll predict the final 16 when the time comes.

• Like 1

Group A

1. Uruguay

2. France

3. South Africa

4. Mexico

I know that a host has never failed to make it out of the group stages, but we've never had a host quite as bad as Bafana Bafana. Mexico can't score goals, so that leads me to have a pretty good Uruguay side taking out first and the French squeezing through on luck much as they did to qualify.

======

Group B

1. Argentina

2. South Korea

3. Greece

4. Nigeria

With Argentina as obvious group winners, I went with a very underrated South Korean side to pip a pretty average Greek outfit. Nigeria to try hard but make up numbers.

======

Group C

1. England

2. United States

3. Slovenia

4. Algeria

USA aren't even in England's league, and would struggle to make it out of any other group. Damned lucky.

======

Group D

1. Serbia

2. Australia

3. Germany

4. Ghana

Germany are bringing in an average side and doing it without Ballack, whilst Ghana have lost Essien. Serbia to win the group with the Australians to shock Germany first up to keep things interesting (for me). Really, though, I'd say it's more likely it'll be Serbia/Germany/Australia/Ghana.

======

Group E

1. Denmark

2. Netherlands

3. Cameroon

4. Japan

Japan are an utter shambles, and Cameroon don't have much firepower beyond their obvious go to guy. Netherlands to be pipped by a very good Danish side.

======

Group F

1. Paraguay

2. Italy

3. New Zealand

4. Slovakia

Italy to make it in after a scare in their game against Slovakia. New Zealand are a better coached team than many expect, and I reckon they'll jag a draw or win somewhere in there. Paraguay to qualify first courtesy of said Italian hiccup.

======

Group G

1. Brazil

2. Ivory Coast

3. Portugal

4. North Korea

Brazil to get through this very tough group, with Cote D'Ivoire to become the defacto team for all Africans as the only one to make it out of their group.

======

Group H

1. Spain

2. Chile

3. Switzerland

4. Honduras

Chile/Switzerland/Honduras to finish very close to one another. I think the Chileans are due for a big performance this time around.

Second Round

South Korea def. Uruguay

Argentina def. France

England def. Australia

Serbia def. USA

Denmark def. Italy

Netherlands def. Paraguay

Spain def. Cote D'Ivoire

Brazil def. Chile

Quarter Finals

Argentina def. South Korea

England def. Serbia

Netherlands def. Denmark

Spain def. Brazil

Semi Finals

Argentina def. England

Spain def. Netherlands

Finals

Spain def. Argentina

Group C

1. England

2. United States

3. Slovenia

4. Algeria

USA aren't even in England's league, and would struggle to make it out of any other group. Damned lucky.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with the second part of that assesment sir. On that front I think you are full of pooey.

So by now the fifth german squad member injured himself in the past weeks. (this dos not include the tragic death of Robert Enke earlyer this season) Ad to that that our coach did not call up some of the best rated Bundesliga Players of the past Season and he either has to "win" this thing to be a legend and the smartest guy ever or he will be chased out of the country. :shifty:

Heiko Westermann

Michael Ballack

Christian Träsch

René Adler (first Team National Goaly)

Simon Rolfes (was suposed to replace Ballack, i belive)

There are still a cupple of weeks left, let´s see if we loose even more players. :mellow:

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane