World Cup 2010 Thread

I think South Africa might have a chance. As it's already been said, Group A could be completely interchangeable with who makes it. I still Mexico will go through with Uruguay in second. I don't give France a chance after all the bs that went down during their qualifying stages.

Also, USA for the win. :shifty:

I'd expect France to qualify top of the group. As always, people begin to doubt the majority of big teams ahead of the tournament. Granted France have been pretty shit as of late, I still feel they'll find the form. I actually remember people expecting them not to do well at the last WC, yet they made it to the final.

As always, cheering on England/Italy. Thinking Serbia will be the dark horses and do pretty well. I'll be cheering against any team playing England/Italy or I'll be cheering on any team that play Spain.

• Like 1

On a random note, Zakumi (the WC 2010 mascot) is an awesome little guy. Not as big a compliment as it might seem of course, since the only past WC mascot who was nearly any good was Footix from France 98, while the rest of them were utter shite.

Zakumi.jpg

So I was looking at Group A and I realized there's a good chance that France might not make it past the group stage again.

For me, they're playing Mexico (who're a good solid team), Uruguay (who are no pushovers) and South Africa (the host nation). It's all up in the air really.

And even if they do make it past the group stage, they'll probably finish runners up and play Argentina and get knocked out.

Mexico aren't that solid. Under Sven, they really showed their weaknesses as a team. I'd definately put South Africa and Uruguay through.

You clearly haven't had any new info on the Mexico squad, as they got rid of Sven a year ago. Under Javier Aguirre, though we aren't what the team used to be, we are better than with Sven or Hugo Sanchez.

I know Sven hasn't been in charge of the team, but in Qualification they demonstrated the numerous holes in their line-up. Something I'm sure France, South Africa and Uruguay will work on exposing again.

I'd expect France to go through. I dunno about finishing top because Mexico or Uruguay could as well, but problems or not they're still the best team in the group. Mexico have their own problems, Uruguay needed a playoff too and South Africa are shit. You can't say France won't go through because they haven't been doing well when Mexico conspired to lose and draw against some truly awful teams in their qualification, Uruguay finished 5th in theirs and South Africa probably wouldn't have even qualified if they needed to. If they had teams like USA and Chile, I'd probably agree about them having a really tough time, but as it is their group doesn't seem too hard.

So I was looking at Group A and I realized there's a good chance that France might not make it past the group stage again.

For me, they're playing Mexico (who're a good solid team), Uruguay (who are no pushovers) and South Africa (the host nation). It's all up in the air really.

And even if they do make it past the group stage, they'll probably finish runners up and play Argentina and get knocked out.

Mexico aren't that solid. Under Sven, they really showed their weaknesses as a team. I'd definately put South Africa and Uruguay through.

You clearly haven't had any new info on the Mexico squad, as they got rid of Sven a year ago. Under Javier Aguirre, though we aren't what the team used to be, we are better than with Sven or Hugo Sanchez.

I know Sven hasn't been in charge of the team, but in Qualification they demonstrated the numerous holes in their line-up. Something I'm sure France, South Africa and Uruguay will work on exposing again.

The team that competed in the Qualification process is, outside of 4 to 6 guys, completely different now. Aguirre took the team when they were out of Qualification (in fifth place of six) and took them over to the 2nd spot behind USA. Sure, Mexico isn't as good as they were going into last WC, but they are way better than when the Qualifications started/ended.

South Africa probably wouldn't have even qualified if they needed to

They wouldn't have. As far as I know, the African Nations qualifiers double up as the World Cup qualifiers and they failed to get through, effectively meaning they didn't qualify for their own World Cup.

the rest of them were utter shite.

Mexico 86 was a Jalapeno pepper in a sombrero, how can you call that shite? :P

Not that it is the biggest deal, but South Africa performed well in the Confederations Cup. People also underestimate the home advantage. Whilst it won't singularly drag them through, there have been other poor teams that have hosted and gone further than they probably should have done.

Plus, with Uruguay, France and Mexico, they haven't exactly got any teams that are OMG awesome.

On the subject of penalties, what the hell happened to the 'staying on the line' rule? It seemed to be pushed into the game for about a week, then suddenly stopped existing. I've seen numerous occasions where goal keepers are yards off of their line before the balls even kicked as of late. Surely you cant stop feints, yet allow keepers to have an advantage of advancing off of their line?

The team that competed in the Qualification process is, outside of 4 to 6 guys, completely different now. Aguirre took the team when they were out of Qualification (in fifth place of six) and took them over to the 2nd spot behind USA. Sure, Mexico isn't as good as they were going into last WC, but they are way better than when the Qualifications started/ended.

This.

Also, we're talking about a team that has been on a pretty good tear since last July (in the Gold Cup, and WC Qualifiers). We're talking about a team that is 15w 5t 1l in Friendlies/WC Qual/Gold Cup action since July '09. The old, plodding Mexico squad has been turned over (save for a few key veterans) and a younger/better/more dangerous side has been put together.

I'm not high on France simply because of their run of form. Sure, as far as established players and what they look like on paper they're the top team in the group. Out of the 4 though, they certainly haven't been playing the best coming in. That, and they have distractions/bullshit going on that none of the other squads in the group have. I don't expect them to fall flat on their face ... but I would really not be surprised if they don't make it out. In fact, I'm predicting them to tie for second but lose out on GD.

Edited by HailtotheKing
  • Like 1

Striker was the most half-arsed attempt at a mascot ever. It was virtually a cliché.

A: "We need to create a mascot."

B: "Okay, animals are popular."

A: "Good, good. What kind of animal?"

B: "Well it would help if it's one you can associate with your country, like a lion for England etc."

A: "Too difficult. Let's make it a dog. Everybody likes dogs."

B: "Maybe design the dog so that he's overtly American in some way?"

A: "Well it looks vaguely Hanna-Barbera-esque, will that do?"

B: "What about linking in the football aspect?"

A: "Put him in a football shirt."

B: "And a clever name...?"

A: "Striker."

B: "Good grief."

• Like 2