World Cup 2010 Thread

Australia will be knocked out in the group stage.

And Italy are going to win.

I have seen the future.

I bet Grosso has been practicing his diving skills again >_>

• Like 1

Just as I correctly predicted Australia's run to the Round of 16 last time around, I'm now tipping our lads to not make it out of the group stage this year. The talent is there to again be a surprise packet, but Verbeek is just a dire coach. Tonight's undeserved 2-1 win over New Zealand just proved to me that the man has one idea and it's not a very good one.

A dour draw with Germany to get hopes up, and then two losses on the trot to Serbia and Ghana to send us home.

Italy cannot possibly win it having left Del Piero at home. Just impossible.

I think Serbia will do well and if they get the opponents that prediction has them playing they could well make it to the semi's but beating Spain, really? South Korea escaping their group let alone winning it made me laugh as well.

Best thing Lippi could of ever done really. If anybody can manage them to a WC, it's Lippi (again). Worked wonders last time, but then again the crazy match fixing allegations was a huge boost too. Much more energy in the team this time around. Also Nabel, Grosso can practise them all he likes, he's been cut from the squad. Surprise, but again showing change from Lippi. Rossi is fighting for a spot though and I still hope he makes the final cut.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

Final US Roster:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa, England), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton, England), Tim Howard (Everton, England).

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes, France), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany), Jay DeMerit (Watford, England), Clarence Goodson (IK Start, Norway), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan, Italy), Jonathan Spector (West Ham, England).

Midfielders: DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Michael Bradley (Borussia Moenchengladbach, Germany), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt, Germany), Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Maurice Edu (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus, Denmark), Stuart Holden (Bolton, England), Jose Torres (Pachuca, Mexico).

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Hull, England), Edson Buddle (Los Angeles), Robbie Findley (Salt Lake), Herculez Gomez (Puebla, Mexico).

Really ? That's our list of Forwards ? :puke: Findley over both Ching and EJ ? Dear God. I don't mind the chance on Gomez/Buddle ..... but WOW on Findley over both Ching and EJ. Thank God Pearce, Klejsten, and Marshall got left home.

Donovan plays on the wing, usually the left, for the US.

And HttK, I'm with you dude. I have no idea how Findley got selected over Ching. Johnson didn't deserve to go - he did nothing to impress me last night at all. Findley though, meh. What does he offer? Speed? Sure, but he's not even fit right now anyways, so the speed isn't worth a thing. Add in he's been out of form all MLS season... doesn't deserve a place.

I'm glad Heath Pearce got cut though, especially since the first 2 second half goals allowed by the USA came from his own errors. Dude's awful. Bornstein didn't earn his place; Pearce gave it to him. I'm not convinced that Beasley earned a place either. At this point, I rather would've given Robbie Rogers the slot. He outplayed Beasley last night; gave a much more influential performance. Gomez and Buddle definitely earned their place though.

Overall, I'm not convinced we will get out of the group. I still don't see how we get anything from the England game. Rooney will tear our back line up, especially since Gooch, Bocanegra, and Demerit are all not fully fit. Algeria should be a win for us, but I don't think we can beat Slovenia. The Americans lack the creativity to break down such a great defensive unit.

Let's do this again, for shits and giggles. Because I'm suddenly pumped up for the WC.

Group A

1. France

2. Uruguay

3. Mexico

4. South Africa

South Africa have no shot at this. They didn't even qualify for the African Nations Cup which means they wouldn't have qualified for the World Cup either. Even though Domenech is a fool, France just has too much quality and will probably win 2 matches and draw 1 or something.

======

Group B

1. Greece

2. Argentina

3. Nigeria

4. South Korea

Argentina kind of got lucky with this group, because they have an idiotic coach who isn't even bringing Cambiasso who was immense for Inter this season. I'm going for an upset here with Greece, because they are defensively very solid and they still have Rehhagel as a coach who's a tactical mastermind and Maradonna obviously isn't. Nigeria has some cool players but a shit defense, as usual with African teams, no structure.

======

Group C

1. England

2. Slovenia

3. United States

4. Algeria

England should, no matter what, cruise through this group. Well, I can see the match against US being a scrappy one. Going with another upset here, Slovenia are also very defensive and have a great goalkeeper. Slovenia to beat US and Algeria with 1 or 2-0's.

======

Group D

1. Serbia

2. Germany

3. Ghana

4. Australia

Very tough group this actually now that I think about it. Germany have a fine team again but Serbia as well, great defenders in Ivanovic and Vidic, good midfield and a solid attack so I'm going with Serbia to beat Ghana and the Aussies and draw Germany.

======

Group E

1. Netherlands

2. Denmark

3. Japan

4. Cameroon

We SHOULD qualify for the next round but it's a tough group. Denmark had a great qualification, so it should be interesting. I was also impressed with Japan when they faced Netherlands a while ago in a friendly (and lost 3-0 but alas), so Japan to beat Cameroon.

======

Group F

1. Italy

2. Paraguay

3. Slovakia

4. New Zealand

No idea why those people in Matzat's link had New Zealand going to the next round 'cause they are quite frankly shit. Slovakia will just defend and counter. Paraguay have been very solid the last 2 years so I'm seeing Paraguay 6 points, Italy 9, Slovakia 3.

======

Group G

1. Brazil

2. Ivory Coast

3. Portugal

4. North Korea

This is actually a hilarious group, but also a tough one to predict. North Korea have shown multiple times now they can defend extremely well, but I doubt they can pull it off against one of these three....perhaps Portugal....nah. I hope to god Ivory Coast goes through, and if I had to choose preferably Portugal out, I hate those diving bastards :P

======

Group H

1. Spain

2. Chile

3. Switzerland

4. Honduras

Chile finished second in qualification and we all know the South America one is tough. I'm rooting for Honduras but they just lack quality all around. They have the ability to annoy Switzerland and Chile but not to beat them. Spain has the most trouble with Switzerland but end up winning anyway. Chile pulls off a close victory over Switzerland via a free kick or something.

======

Feel free to use my set-up :wub:

Edited by The Quasi Juice

Group A

1. France

2. Mexico

3. Uruguay

4. South Africa

I still expect France to top the group, winning all of their games. Mexico just to outdo Uruguay and pip them to second place. SA are certainly an interesting team though, it wouldn't shock me if they did surprise everybody. Pienaar to be the stand out player if they somehow do.

======

Group B

1. Argentina

2. South Korea

3. Greece

4. Nigeria

Whether Maradonna is a shit coach or not, I expect Argentina to finally show up on the big stage. One team I'd certainly be wary of going up against. I also think Korea will be another one of the surprise teams to go through.

======

Group C

1. England

2. United States

3. Slovenia

4. Algeria

England to top the group is a given for me. And I still think United States will finish comfortably second.

======

Group D

1. Serbia

2. Germany

3. Ghana

4. Australia

As I said a few pages back, I think Serbia are the dark horses and can go further than most think. I expect them to just pip Germany to the top, maybe even on goal difference. Interested to see how Australia perform here.

======

Group E

1. Netherlands

2. Denmark

3. Cameroon

4. Japan

Toughest group? Certainly looks like one of them. I think Netherlands will march their way into the next round, but I really think second place could be taken by any of the other three. Denmark are the team that should take it, but this should certainly be one of the closer groups.

======

Group F

1. Italy

2. Paraguay

3. Slovakia

4. New Zealand

I'd expect Italy to win all three of their matches and actually pick up some steam for the next round. New Zealand are a definite no if you ask me, so I see Paraguay just managing to nick it in the game against Slovakia.

======

Group G

1. Brazil

2. Portugal

3. Ivory Coast

4. North Korea

Another one of the tough groups, certainly with Portugal needing to up their game. I think this will all come down to how well Ivory Coast perform and whether or not Sven can actually organise the team properly against the big guns. I think really, it'll come down to the Ivory/Portugal game. If that ends up a draw, then I'd fancy Ivory to go through in second place, because I could actually see them being more likely to nick a point from Brazil than I would Portugal. Looking forward to this group a hell of a lot, but I just feel Portugal will creep their way into the next round.

======

Group H

1. Spain

2. Switzerland

3. Chile

4. Honduras

Don't see any complications in this one. Straight forward for Spain, winning all three games. I'd also expect Switzerland to beat both Chile and Honduras, taking the second place.

Top Scorer In Group Qualification: Wayne Rooney

Group A

1. France

2. Mexico

3. South Africa

4. Uruguay

France should walk this, I'll go with Mexico to take second. I saw enough of them against England on Monday, very good at going forward, shakey at the back but they should have enough to take 6 points.

======

Group B

1. Argentina

2. Nigeria

3. Greece

4. South Korea

Same as Group A, Argentina will walk through this group simply because of their attacking qualities, I think it will be a different story come Round 2. There is not a lot to choose between Nigeria and Greece so I'll go with the Africans.

======

Group C

1. England

2. United States

3. Slovenia

4. Algeria

England will hae no problems what so ever, they'll take all 9 points. As with the Group A and B, second place is a toss up but US have more quality about them then Slovenia, but second place will be decided when the two meet.

======

Group D

1. Serbia

2. Germany

3. Ghana

4. Australia

I have to go with Serbia here above the Germans, although you can NEVER bet against an average German side in a tournament. The Serbians I think could go pretty far just through the spine of their team. Germany also finishing second sets up an England/Germany 2nd Round game, which will be awesome!

======

Group E

1. Netherlands

2. Denmark

3. Japan

4. Cameroon

Holland will breeze through this, depending on what Dutch side turns up. Denmark are another team that are pretty deent in group stages but when England play Japan on Sunday, I'll get a closer look at the Japs, so I may change my mind.

======

Group F

1. Italy

2. Paraguay

3. Slovakia

4. New Zealand

Probably the easiest group to pick 1-4.

======

Group G

1. Ivory Coast

2. Brazil

3. Portugal

4. North Korea

I'm going with Ivory Coast to win the group. They'll upset Brazil and Portugal. Brazil will take second with Portugal going home, you hae to feel sorry for N. Korea! Group Of Death for sure!

======

Group H

1. Spain

2. Switzerland

3. Chile

4. Honduras

The Swiss aren't a bad side, not world beaters but they're pretty decent. Spain will stroll through it. Chile could well nick second, I'm sure of it.

======

Round 2

France versus. Nigeria

England versus. Germany

Serbia versus. USA

Argentina versus. Mexico

Netherlands versus. Paraguay

Ivory Coast versus. Switzerland

Italy versus. Denmark

Spain versus. Brazil

======

Quarter Final

Netherlands versus. Ivory Coast

France versus. England

Serbia versus. Argentina

Italy versus. Spain

======

Semi Final

Ivory Coast versus. England

Serbia versus. Italy

======

Final

England versus. Italy

Winners: England

Biased? Maybe so. ^_^

Edited by new_era

Group A

1. France

2. South Africa

3. Uruguay

4. Mexico

Countries on their home turf always seem to do better in the World Cup. Judging by ther performance against England, Mexico have everything needed but the finish, and that will let them down.

======

Group B

1. Argentina

2. South Korea

3. Greece

4. Nigeria

Argentina will easily win the group, or should do - I don't think they've done any sort of altitude training, and judging by their performance in Quito (which albeit is 1000m higher than any stadium for this tournament) that could fuck them over. Greece and South Korea will be the tightest call here.

======

Group C

1. England

2. United States

3. Slovenia

4. Algeria

Easily called, maybe even USA to win the group (I hate to say) as I can see USA/England being extremely tight.

======

Group D

1. Serbia

2. Ghana

3. Germany

4. Australia

I think Germany could be one of this year's early fallers. Ghana and Serbia both are very strong teams, and I think could both easily out muscle Germany.

======

Group E

1. Netherlands

2. Japan

3. Cameroon

4. Denmark

Netherlands are the easy call, and then Japan to scrape through in second on goal difference.

======

Group F

1. Italy

2. Paraguay

3. Slovakia

4. New Zealand

======

Group G

1. Brazil

2. Ivory Coast

3. Portugal

4. North Korea

Again, there's bound to be a few big nations out in the first round, and I think Ivory Coast could provide that shock.

======

Group H

1. Spain

2. Honduras

3. Chile

4. Switzerland

Honduras aren't that bad. They've got a good squad base, will be spurred on by the fact it's the countries second ever World Cup appearance, and have proved to be not too much of a pushover in qualification. They pushed USA very hard during both home and away matches, and whalloped Costa Rica and Mexico at home. However, Carlos Costly is out for the World Cup - so Suazo/Pavon are going to have to find the net.

Second Round

France def. South Korea

Argentina def. South Africa

England def. Ghana (penalties)

Serbia def. USA

Netherlands def. Paraguay

Italy def. Japan

Spain def. Ivory Coast

Brazil def. Honduras

Quarter Finals

Argentina def. France

England def. Serbia

Italy def. Netherlands

Spain def. Brazil

Semi Finals

Argentina def. England

Spain def. Italy

Finals

Spain def. Argentina

• Like 1

News on the Japanese. They lost badly 2-0 to South Korea in their recently friendly. Much to my Canadian/Japanese friend's hilarity the coach apparantly stated that he "can't do this anymore". Basically Japan are a total shambles right now. It's all gone horribly wrong since qualifying.

News on the Japanese. They lost badly 2-0 to South Korea in their recently friendly. Much to my Canadian/Japanese friend's hilarity the coach apparantly stated that he "can't do this anymore". Basically Japan are a total shambles right now. It's all gone horribly wrong since qualifying.

*bets entire fortune on Holland beating Japan*

Donovan should also be rated up near the top players of the US team, I can see them giving them a hard time against England no matter what they did against the Czechs.

No doubt, England didn't show the strongest of showings against Mexico, will have to wait and see what they do against the apparently struggling Japan.

Outfield players, I think Donovan is the best all-around player, just edging out Dempsey. Both play in the midfield, but Donovan is far better than Dempsey at tracking back and helping to defend... and Donovan isn't even that good at it. Bradley always wants to play both in the midfield, but it makes us a lot more vulnerable. Best overall player though? Tim Howard, definitely. Howard is incredibly valuable to the national team, and was the key figure in our Confederations Cup last year. I feel like he's really underrated as a keeper; great quality keeper.

While I think we can keep the England game close, I don't see how we could ever actually beat England. Our back line is so injury-plagued right now, Wayne Rooney's going to be having a field day. Gooch played for the first time in 7 months on Tuesday, and needless to say, looked poor. His movement is awful. Carlos Bocanegra and Jay Demerit are both battling injuries right now too, meaning our top three centre backs are struggling right now. Not the kind of back line you want heading into the World Cup.

Edited by Szumi