Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IS IT?!  YES!  YES IT IS!  BY GAWD KING!  THATS MATT DAMON RUNNING TO THE DIRECTORS CHAIR!

• Like 2

UK posters, all the CW's DC shows are back this week. Sky have ditched the idea of showing them on consecutive days (Mon-Thu) at 8pm in favour of pairing them up on two days.

So, tonight it's Supergirl at 8pm and Flash at 9pm. On Thursday, it's Legends of Tomorrow at 8pm and Arrow at 9pm.

I just saw the Iron Fist trailer. Honestly? It looks like Arrow with a Marvel coat of paint. Billionaire rich kid gets stranded somewhere inhospitable, learns martial arts there and years later comes home to fight the people corrupting his city as a vigilante.

1 hour ago, Colly said:

That's pretty much Iron Fist, Arrow and to an extent Batman, I'm sure there's plenty others.

Don't forget Iron Man, barring the selfless vigilantism.

And to certain extents invoke the rich playboy/girl gimmick: Kate Kane (Batwoman), Huntress, Dick Grayson (And the other Robin's to an extent, but Dick has been a male model!), Nite Owl (Watchmen), and probably a few more.

The rich dumb vigilante trope has been done to death, as has the hero that gets stuck in the wild and learns to become a badass.

But Iron Fist has the advantage of being produced by Netflix/Marvel, whilst Arrow has been mostly produced by CW/Tumblr fringes since season 3 or so.

• Like 4

So, that debut episode of Legion was pretty special. Anyone else catch it?

I watched it last night, too. I really really enjoyed it, and it was a real mindfuck from start to finish. And whilst in the end you're pretty sure it's 'real', the stories in between has me scratching my head whether or not it was his delusions, or if they had really happened.

I am really interested in how they're going to further the plot, because they've left me wanting for more.

Additionally, I watched Doctor Strange tonight since it finally got released on home video. And all I can say is 'wow', the people that did the special effects deserve a goddamn medal. Amazing visual trickery and fantastical images that never looked fake or tacky. It is easily the most visually arresting piece of cinema Marvel has ever created, i'd hazard to say it's one of the best films in terms of putting in so many special effects and making it fluid and brilliant in every way, without ever overstaying its welcome.

Not since Inception has a film captivated me in a visual sense, and i'd say they've done the 'world-bending' in a better and more spectacular way than Inception did. The story was true Marvel origin story where an arrogant/rich genius gets brought back to earth before discovering an even greater secret and power to protect the world. But the casting (as always) was spot on and Cumberbatch like Downey Jr. makes it feel like the role was made for him, not vice versa.

And having seen three of the five nominees (Rogue One, Kubo, Strange) for the best VFX academy, I'd say Marvel deserves this one utterly. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it has made the wheel look pretty fucking gorgeous nonetheless.

• Like 1

I did the thing on Legion where you go "what's she off, and what's she off", and then you realise they were all in Fargo. It was ruddy good though, interested to see how it goes forward. I thought by the costumes it was a period piece at first until I saw the iPad-dy thing, so maybe we'll see Xavier at some point.

30 minutes ago, Colly said:

I did the thing on Legion where you go "what's she off, and what's she off", and then you realise they were all in Fargo. It was ruddy good though, interested to see how it goes forward. I thought by the costumes it was a period piece at first until I saw the iPad-dy thing, so maybe we'll see Xavier at some point.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they hoped to have Xavier pop up at some point, but that - at the same time - McAvoy and Stewart are both probably out of their budget range.