Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

Meh, I'd prefer linked in if they can otherwise you just end up with irritating comparisons like the DC universe will inevitably have. The tv show lets you flesh things out a bit too, seems daft they've thrown away so much backstory for the DC films.

I know it's a poor example since Sam Jackson will appear in any shite, but I'd be happy with a brief cameo like he did early on in Shield.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think comparisons are fine. If anything one being better than the other should motivate the inferior one to improve. Besides, they could exist in the same multiverse, or even universe, just divergent timelines. McAvoy already looks nothing like Stewart despite being in the same timeline(s), so having a different looking actor is hardly an issue.

2 hours ago, Colly said:

I thought by the costumes it was a period piece at first until I saw the iPad-dy thing

They mentioned it in interviews that this is a part of David's way of seeing the world, and that by all accounts those things are mostly in his head, seeing the film is written from David's perspective nearly completely.

Ok, so I just watched Legion. 

I don't say this very often, but after 1 episode I'm hooked. 

• Like 1

Matt Reeves is in talks to direct the new Batman movie. He's probably best known for directing movies like Cloverfield and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. There's way more interesting rumors about Ben Affleck's Batman right now, though - namely the rumor that Affleck wants out after doing the standalone Batman film.

I think one of the funniest things in TV I only just recently noticed is that both Supergirl and Agents of SHIELD have the same actress playing a minor recurring character that, aside from her name, is essentially exactly the same. Shout-out to Briana Venskus, the go-to minor-but-not-throwaway agent for SHIELD and the DEO.

Spoilered for size because its huge...saw it over on Reddit.

Wasp, who is standing on Baby Groot, who is standing on Rocket, who is standing on Spider-Man, who is standing on Hulk, who is standing on Ant-Man

jfxrkrm14bgy.jpg

• Like 2

Just came in here to say that Empire gave it 4/5. This quote also intrigued me: 

"When asked what his cinematic influences were for the latest — and supposedly final — Wolverine stand-alone movie, director James Mangold reeled off an impressive and enticing list that included none-more-classic Western Shane, indie-hit heart-warmer Little Miss Sunshine and Darren Aronofsky's bruising character piece The Wrestler. Well, he wasn't lying. In fact, Logan owes these three films more than it does the Mark Millar-penned comic series Old Man Logan, of which this is the loosest of adaptations."

Negotiations between Matt Reeves and WB to direct the upcoming Batfleck film have broken down, so the film's looking for another director now.

On 2/14/2017 at 15:48, Cloudy said:

Matt Reeves is in talks to direct the new Batman movie. He's probably best known for directing movies like Cloverfield and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. There's way more interesting rumors about Ben Affleck's Batman right now, though - namely the rumor that Affleck wants out after doing the standalone Batman film.

Wasn't Affleck slated to co-write and direct his Batman movie as well? To be honest I was kinda looking forward to that. He was the only good thing about Batman V Superman and he is a good director. Shame.

Edited by Hellraiser

41 minutes ago, lanky316 said:

Yeah he fell out with them because (allegedly) he was spending too long trying to get the script right...

DC/WB really need to get its act together, because pissing off your biggest name over script writing isn't a good way to keep talent on board of your attempt to rival Marvel. Especially seeing their attempt has barely been successful and has given more duds than winners.

• Like 1

They should genuinely scrap trying to compete with marvel and focus solely on Lego movies. Miles better than any live action film I've seen from DC in years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kaney said:

They should genuinely scrap trying to compete with marvel and focus solely on Lego movies. Miles better than any live action film I've seen from DC in years.

Just the animation side would be enough. I know it's smaller budget so they have a bit more freedom and less studio interference but as a general rule of thumb the animated stuff has been solid.

They've also carved out a perfectly acceptable niche with the three DC series they got running in Arrow, Flash, Supergirl. All with their respective cult followings that keep the shows afloat.

But film wise, they're just in a perpetual bed-shitting mode by writing dodgy scripts that neither appeases fan or casual, and directors that care so little about the genre and the product they're establishing, the films never are set apart. The only thing DC can be decently pleased about is that they've gotten a few pretty good actors/actresses for their roles, but at the same time they're apparently doing their best to piss them off in such a way that they're not hanging around after one or two films. And on top of that, the actors are good but the characters are written like utter trash.

Or you know, they get Jared Leto and they just give a bad actor an even worse role, to really show everyone they mean business about not trying.

DCWB's entire attempt is ran and ruined by corporate who simply look at Marvel's billion-dollar film universe and demand something comparable, without having either the knowledge or true will-power to make it happen. They expected their first films to immediately be classics on par with stuff like Avengers Assemble, whilst forgotting the fact that it took Marvel four/five feature films BEFORE they even arrived at that part. And Marvel did it sensibly by making the product be designed and created by people that know what the product needs to be doing, and what consumers expect from the product.

Marvel made a chair that's just right, maybe a bit too flashy at times, but it's really comfortable and has good arch support. Someone who wants a chair will enjoy it, someone who is a chair connoisseur can appreciate the detail that went into the design, everybody's happy.
DCWB made a chair that shoots fire and laser beams, has two backrests on the side rather than at the back. Has some band-stickers slapped onto it. But they never actually put a floor on the chair, so you can't sit on it. They also hired plumbers to design it, and a shoe salesman to put it together. It looks kinda nice and unique, but nobody has any use for the damn thing...

Weird analogy, but I think it works.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

They've also carved out a perfectly acceptable niche with the three DC series they got running in Arrow, Flash, Supergirl. All with their respective cult followings that keep the shows afloat.

But film wise, they're just in a perpetual bed-shitting mode by writing dodgy scripts that neither appeases fan or casual, and directors that care so little about the genre and the product they're establishing, the films never are set apart. The only thing DC can be decently pleased about is that they've gotten a few pretty good actors/actresses for their roles, but at the same time they're apparently doing their best to piss them off in such a way that they're not hanging around after one or two films. And on top of that, the actors are good but the characters are written like utter trash.

Or you know, they get Jared Leto and they just give a bad actor an even worse role, to really show everyone they mean business about not trying.

DCWB's entire attempt is ran and ruined by corporate who simply look at Marvel's billion-dollar film universe and demand something comparable, without having either the knowledge or true will-power to make it happen. They expected their first films to immediately be classics on par with stuff like Avengers Assemble, whilst forgotting the fact that it took Marvel four/five feature films BEFORE they even arrived at that part. And Marvel did it sensibly by making the product be designed and created by people that know what the product needs to be doing, and what consumers expect from the product.

Marvel made a chair that's just right, maybe a bit too flashy at times, but it's really comfortable and has good arch support. Someone who wants a chair will enjoy it, someone who is a chair connoisseur can appreciate the detail that went into the design, everybody's happy.
DCWB made a chair that shoots fire and laser beams, has two backrests on the side rather than at the back. Has some band-stickers slapped onto it. But they never actually put a floor on the chair, so you can't sit on it. They also hired plumbers to design it, and a shoe salesman to put it together. It looks kinda nice and unique, but nobody has any use for the damn thing...

Weird analogy, but I think it works.

homer_front1-665x385.jpg

• Like 7