The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

16 hours ago, Skummy said:

I think this is part of the problem I had with it - I rewatched A New Hope recently, and I just don't recognise that Han Solo in the new movie. Han Solo in A New Hope is cantankerous, self-centred and world weary, and through the original trilogy we see him grow into a hero. But at no point in Solo do I feel like the character I'm watching could ever grow into Han Solo as we first meet him - he's too much a smug hero already, whereas in A New Hope, Han is a killer, doing business with bounty hunters and crime lords, who thinks nothing of fleecing a naïve farm boy and an old man out of their money. That in Solo we see him as a young bright-eyed hopeful hero makes it seem like A New Hope was just a bad patch for Han, and that by the time he's being all heroic in Return Of The Jedi he's just back to normal, and that completely undermines the growth of his character.

What I wanted from this film was a look deeper into my favourite bits of Star Wars - and that's Mos Eisley, Jabba's palace, bounty hunters, all the horrible seedy underbelly. That's where the most interesting characters are, and where all the stories must be.

This is probably (hopefully?) what the Boba Fett movie is going to wind up being. A world tour of all the seedy people involved with Jabba and by proxy with Vader.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So who has seen this amazing bullshit. I saw it read out on an episode of the Funhaus podcast that came out today and I agree with James when he says that he is very happy that these people are not enjoying it.

I'd put it at the start of the reading.

WE, THE FANS OF STAR WARS...

WE, THE FANS OF STAR WARS, do this day send forth this Declaration to the President of Lucasfilm, Kathleen Kennedy, and to all people in the World, to make clear to all the Purposes and Goals of this Rebellion.

We firmly acknowledge the importance and necessity of the control of the Franchise being in the hands of one person. We accept that for a contiguous, non-contradictory Continuity to be established, much of the Old must be done away with to make way for the New, so that We can enjoy this Universe without questioning how something makes sense. We believe that those in charge of a Franchise derives its power as a creative force from the consent of the fandom of that Franchise. We believe that, should fans-lifelong fans especially-be purposefully shunned, insulted, and tossed aside by those at the head of the Franchise, it is the unalienable right of said fans to boycott or force change in such Leadership.

We believe that Lucasfilm has willfully and malignantly discarded the fans in the sole pursuit of a misguided political agenda and therefore, it is our unalienable right to refuse to fund the Franchise, and to call on Disney to change those who are in charge of Lucasfilm.

We do not take this course lightly. Franchises long since established should not be changed for slight and transient causes, but when those helming a Franchise display a history of callous disrespect for said Franchise, its long and storied history, & its massive fanbase', displaying a clear design to subjugate totally and absolutely the Characters We have come to know and love solely to push a social narrative, it is our riglrt-our duty-to depose of that Leadership. The short history of the crurent Leadership of Lucasfilm is that of continued grievous offences and insults against all consumers who have been fans of the Franchise for any period of tinre before it was purchased by Disney:

You have disrespected the characters of the original trilogy, treating them as mere tools and stepping stones for new characters, rather than the heroes they actually are.

You have used your new characters as toys and tools to push an agenda of masculine inferiority.

You have lied to George Lucas when you told him that Legacy characters would be protected and make sure they would continue to live in the way that he had created them.

You have lied to George Lucas when you said you wanted to do something for the fans, and have now fully reneged upon that promise, telling Mark Hamill that the stories you want to tell matter more than the fans.

You have given the core trinity of characters from the Original Trilogy terrible sendoffs. Luke Skywalker dying as a sour old man who couldn't be bothered to come help his sister in person or mourn the loss of his best friend. Han Solo dying by the blade of his own son, in a move that ultimately had zero impact on his psychological state moving forwards. Leia flying back to the Raddus in a comedic scene that reminds one of Mary Poppins, and will shamefully forever be how Carrie Fisher's last outing in film will be remembered.

You have shamelessly attacked anyone who voiced a negative opinion, calling them racists, sexists, rnisogynists, telling them that they must have a problem with strong women, telling them that only overweight white males and members of the alt-right dislike the direction you are taking the Franchise.

You have refused to acknowledge any complaints as legitimate from the fans, and do not even recognize that people who are not male or are not caucasian dislike your modus operandi as well.

We, the fans of Star Wars, do therefore in the name-and by the authority-of the free market of the World, solerrmly publish and declare our intentions: To fight and oppose you and your sociopolitical ideals, by any and all means at our disposal; To refuse any decree from Lucasfilm as to what We should like that is contrary to the Right of Opinion; To bring about you destruction and the destruction of your career in anything relating to filmography; To forever restore the true characterizations of these beings in a Galaxy Far Far Away. TO THESE ENDS, WE PLEDGE OUR MERCHANDISE, OUR HONOR, AND OUR WALLETS.

I have a sci-fi/comic book friend and I've found it interesting how his opinions on things are pretty much the polar opposite of EWB. 

-The Nolan Batman trilogy is bad, tries too hard to be serious and isn't comic booky enough.

-Star Trek Discovery is a bad show and not true Star Trek.

So I fully expected him to think Last Jedi was bad and he thinks it's the best Star Wars movie since Empire.

I guess you can never tell who'll like what.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

can someone please succinctly tell me why they disliked the last Jedi. I had two issues with the movie - some of the humor was very non Star Wars and it was a little bloated. 

but i can't see why someone would hate the movie. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RPS said:

can someone please succinctly tell me why they disliked the last Jedi.

I loved it... but all the haters I've seen appear to me to fall into at least one of three categories:

1) People who are upset because their fan theories were wrong

2) People who are upset because the story wasn't a typical Star Wars story

3) People who are upset because the cast wasn't all white males (including people that Alex Jones told to hate it because the cast wasn't all white males)

• Like 3

I feel like there's an undertone of "they've invalidated the original trilogy, which I invested so much of my childhood into loving." On a post in /r/StarWars someone specifically said that the ending of Return of the Jedi meant absolutely nothing because thirty years later there's basically just another Empire and the heroes of the original trilogy have failed to stop it.

15 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I feel like there's an undertone of "they've invalidated the original trilogy, which I invested so much of my childhood into loving." On a post in /r/StarWars someone specifically said that the ending of Return of the Jedi meant absolutely nothing because thirty years later there's basically just another Empire and the heroes of the original trilogy have failed to stop it.

Art imitates life. The First Order is a neo-Empire, and the Empire were space Nazis.

Not to mention that the EU's first major threat after the fall of the Empire was... Emperor Palpatine, who cloned himself.

Also if they were to follow the EU's timeline that would mean Jacen and Jaina would exist and those kids were even more insufferable than Kylo Ren.

it's funny because I see it critiqued for both being so conventionally Star Wars and that it deviated too much from convention. I thought it was a mix of new and old. I loved the risks and chances they took with cinematography. it felt really new in the way it was shot.

as a movie, it was too long and there were some really bizarre comedy bits (Luke milking the creature, drinking it and having a green milk moustache was fucking surreal and bizarre). but the rey/kylo bits, the imagery, the set pieces and the cinematography was peak Star Wars. just should have cut 30 minutes from the front half. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RPS said:

can someone please succinctly tell me why they disliked the last Jedi. I had two issues with the movie - some of the humor was very non Star Wars and it was a little bloated. 

but i can't see why someone would hate the movie. 

i liked TLJ and its basically the only star wars movie I like, so to me the arguments are basically, this:

(jenny is great, not like the other shitty youtubers who talk about star wars)

I don't have an actual solution but it feels a little off to me that Carrie Fisher will be in the movie through B-roll and unused scenes from TFA. I don't know why it bothers me so much and it might provide a fitting conclusion to her story but I am a little skeezed out by it

12 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I don't have an actual solution but it feels a little off to me that Carrie Fisher will be in the movie through B-roll and unused scenes from TFA. I don't know why it bothers me so much and it might provide a fitting conclusion to her story but I am a little skeezed out by it

Her family are approving of it from what I hear, that's good enough for me.

35 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Oh yeah I don't doubt they do. It just weirds me out. I'm sure I'll get over it by the time the movie comes out it's just not sitting right with me right now

For me it doesn't help that the first thing that came to mind when I heard what they are doing was how Blake Edwards made a Pink Panther film after Peter Sellers' death from b roll and cut scenes.

I'm certain that they'll be a lot more respectful than that but it's an uncomfortable connection for me.

1 hour ago, hugobomb said:

For me it doesn't help that the first thing that came to mind when I heard what they are doing was how Blake Edwards made a Pink Panther film after Peter Sellers' death from b roll and cut scenes.

I'm certain that they'll be a lot more respectful than that but it's an uncomfortable connection for me.

I don't remember where I read it but I thought I heard some thing about how some actor's faces get scanned before the movie starts filming in case they die. The more I type it out, the more ludicrous it sounds but I swear I saw it somewhere. 

I just watched The Last Jedi and it wasn't as awful as I'd expected. There's a huge disconnect in Star Wars now between George Lucas' quasi Shakespeare, pulled from halfway up his ass pretentious babble and the witty, snarky, primiere on the new WB teen sitcom come backs and one liners, it really has an off feel. There was too many surprises within surprises within fakeouts followed by twists, and at the end of the movie, Phasma is dead, Luke is dead, Snoke is dead, and you can fit the entire resistance on board the Millennium Falcon. Where the fuck do you even go in a third movie.

It was a mess, but it had it's moments.

I kind of want Phasma to be alive but only if she ends up joining the Resistance. Don't see that happening though.

Hope we see DJ too. He was a fun character and I want to see him get burned.