The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

I've done my best to defend Moyes all season, but I'm at the point now where I really wouldn't care if we sacked him. I know we won't, I don't even know that we should, but I certainly wouldn't be against it anymore. We looked clueless for most of the game today and were fortunate to get in front. RVP didn't look interested, Young was as god awful as ever and the less said about the back four the better.

Outside of Januzaj's introduction and a few nice touches/passes from Mata we were woeful and deserved to have that happen to us at the end.

The players have to take their share of the blame but ultimately it's Moyes setting them up that way and it was obvious from the first 10 minutes that we needed two out and out wide men on the park who could deliver a decent ball in. No use playing through the middle when they have 9 men camped just about inside their penalty box.

:facepalm:

Does this mean you are in favour of keeping him? What possible reason has he shown to do this?

What happens if we sack him and then the same thing happens with the next manager? We'll be back to square one. Give Moyes until the end of next season and then I'll judge him.

When we finish 10th?

So what if we finish 10th. Let Moyes build his team. Fergie didn't fair too well in his first few seasons remember? It's stupid to think we can just bring in a manager and get instant success.

When we finish 10th?

So what if we finish 10th. Let Moyes build his team. Fergie didn't fair too well in his first few seasons remember? It's stupid to think we can just bring in a manager and get instant success.

Oh come on this is daft. You're the league champions! Mourinho has come in after Rafa Benitez and he's doing alright. Likewise with Roberto Martinez at Everton.

Stop raking up Fergie's first few seasons at Utd that was forever ago and football has moved on.

• Like 1

When we finish 10th?

Oh come on this is daft. You're the league champions! Mourinho has come in after Rafa Benitez and he's doing alright. Likewise with Roberto Martinez at Everton.

Stop raking up Fergie's first few seasons at Utd that was forever ago and football has moved on.

Football has moved on, that's a fair point. But when you have the same manager for 27 years and someone new comes in, then you have to give them time. Sacking Moyes after 7 months is just stupid. Like I said earlier, give him two seasons and if there's still no improvement then fair enough, let him be gone.

When we finish 10th?

Couldn't agree more with this, comparing it to Fergies beginning makes no sense. Moyes has taken over a hugely successful team and the current champions.

Why do you have to give him time?

And why is two years enough? Why not 18 months? Why not three years?

He's clearly not cut out to manage a team with serious expectations of challenging at the top end of the league and across three other competitions as well. That much was obvious from his time at Everton - his record in big games there was atrocious. It's all very well and good getting Everton to punch slightly above their weight but managing a club that actually wants to win trophies is a completely different beast.

• Like 1

The reason I said two seasons was because I'd like to see him build a team this Summer and have a full season with it. I've never been a fan of sacking managers after just a few months in the first place, so when it's my own club I'm not gonna change that stance.

Was it Gary Neville who was saying two years should be the minimum (for any team, not Man Utd)? One to look to build your team/style, then the second its your team and your tactics so if that doesn't work then a sacking could be vaguely justifiable. Its a nice theory, but the money is just too important and Southampton and Palace probably disagree.