Europa League 2013/14 Thread

Lineker

Dave, Glasgow: Yes, the Dnipro guy had to go but Vertonghen should be ashamed at that play-acting. Absolutely shocking.

Jon, Birmingham: Headbutt - yes, red card - yes. Jan Vertonghen rolling around on the floor afterwards - pathetic.

Eduardo, London: Am I the only one who thought that was blatant cheating from Vertonghen? The Dnipro player barely moved!

Just throwing it out there - it'll get glossed over by the Spurs fans otherwise.

I am trying to get a vine clip of the red card to fucking load so I can judge and it isn't, but I've heard plenty of Spurs fans calling it exactly that. Either way I don't really have any sympathy for Dnipro.

Oh man I went pretty crazy when we got it back to 2-2 but when the third went in I went totally ballistic.

To be honest, Vertonghen had been the victim of Dnipro play acting a few times with far less contact. So I'm not surprised he went down at the first opportunity. It WAS a red card and Vertonghen made sure of it. I wouldn't have been happy if Vertonghen had overreacted like that without prior Dnipro diving and playacting the whole game but the red card for that was wonderfully cathartic. Served them right really, Dnipro were far worse than that, especially in the first half.

Oh man I went pretty crazy when we got it back to 2-2 but when the third went in I went totally ballistic.

To be honest, Vertonghen had been the victim of Dnipro play acting a few times with far less contact. So I'm not surprised he went down at the first opportunity. It WAS a red card and Vertonghen made sure of it. I wouldn't have been happy if Vertonghen had overreacted like that without prior Dnipro diving and playacting the whole game but the red card for that was wonderfully cathartic. Served them right really, Dnipro were far worse than that, especially in the first half.

So two wrongs do make a right? Good, I'm glad that has been resolved by this match.

So two wrongs do make a right? Good, I'm glad that has been resolved by this match.

It was many, many wrongs to be fair. Fouls given against Vertonghen that weren't even fouls whereas the one against him WAS a red card at least.

But of course two wrongs don't make a right. With my supporter head 1-1, Vertonghen gets headbutted and goes down, Dnipro spent 50 minutes diving and flopping around, then of course I'm calling for a red card. Most fans would be. Plenty of people do it in this thread and that involves actually moving away from the TV to type in "SEND HIM OFF!" or whatever.

It doesn't make it "right." It just affects how much sympathy I, and presumably Hamster, have for the victim of it.

...and indeed this. His response was appalling too.

And Sandro's beard was stonking.