MLB 2014 Thread

The Buscher

I'm really intrigued by the AL and would be happy if any of those teams won the World Series. The Tigers are the only contender in the AL that's been to the World Series recently, and their rotation would be fun to watch in the playoffs plus I wouldn't mind seeing them finally win it all. The others (Orioles, Angels, A's, Royals, Mariners, etc.) it's been a long time since any of those teams made the World Series, and the Mariners never have.

The NL...the only time I would love to see make it is the Pirates but that seems unlikely. Giants and Cardinals have been there so many times recently it would feel boring to anybody who isn't a fan of one of those teams. And I hate the Nationals due to being a division rival. I guess I'd be OK with the Dodgers making it simply because Kershaw in the World Series would be utterly fantastic.

I'd be ok with a Dodgers/Athletics World Series, but I don't think Oakland will get there. Failing that, a Pittsburgh/KC World Series would be a ratings disaster. I didn't watch a single pitch of last year's World Series, though, and I likely won't this year. As long as the Orioles don't win it all, I'm ok. It's not even that they're division rivals, it's that all the "fans" have come out of the woodwork in the last year or two. People that didn't even know about baseball this time three years ago are all of a sudden diehard O's fans. I know a lot of fanbases are like that, but growing up in Delaware, it's pretty much everyone I know hopping on that wagon (after them being Philly fans for yeeeeeeeeeeeears).

The Mets swept the Braves in Atlanta for the first time since 2007, ending the Braves' Wild Card hopes. Less than 24 hours later, the Braves fired GM Frank Wren.

That's how you know your franchise is horrible- nothing worse than getting swept by the Mets. I'm surprised to see the Braves not being up for sale.

• Like 1

I tuned in from halftime of the Giants game in time to see Robertson blow it. As soon as I saw Jeter was batting in the bottom of the 9th I knew he would win it. Disney couldn't have scripted it better for him. To his credit he said he'll play in Boston in some capacity out of respect for the fans there, but I could hardly blame him if he didn't with an ending like that.

I tuned in from halftime of the Giants game in time to see Robertson blow it. As soon as I saw Jeter was batting in the bottom of the 9th I knew he would win it. Disney couldn't have scripted it better for him. To his credit he said he'll play in Boston in some capacity out of respect for the fans there, but I could hardly blame him if he didn't with an ending like that.

I read he'll play as DH at Fenway.

Phil Hughes was due a half million dollar bonus if he pitched 210 innings. He's got 209 and 2/3rds due to his last start being interrupted by rain. And he turned down the opportunity to start this weekend, saying it wouldn't be the right thing to do since the Twins didn't make the playoffs.

Ladies and gentleman, there IS a professional athlete who doesn't care about money! Who'da thunk it?! o_O

(And finished 5th in my fantasy league, so no trophy for me. Meh.)