The Barclays Premier League Thread 2014/2015

brenchill

Maybe it wouldn't be if I could work out what it was, Brenchill said investors would rather go to Hull or Manchester. Now unless I've missed a Hull takeover bid they're owned by a local businessman, and if you can't see why you'd pick a club in the North West, historically the most successful area for English football, then I'm really not sure what the argument is.

Of course it is in terms of football. Bigger city, more population, more potential fans etc.

It's a global frigging game and it's the clubs who make themselves marketable in the big emerging markets - China, Japan, South Korea, India, the US etc, that do well. It's why United (and others) travel for their pre-season tours. This year it was the US, last year to Europe, Asia and Australia, the year before South Africa, Norway, China and Germany, the US for the two years before that, Malaysia, South Korea and Germany before that and so on and so forth.

It is not a "who has the best city" argument really, because that is fucking shit. Manchester and the surrounding area is very attractive to investors, especially if they have billions. The Chinese takeover of Birmingham didn't go too well. Nor did ours. :(

It is about what clubs are attractive to investors, and if you think Villa going down will help, then you are clearly mental.

• Like 2

Can we just agree that Birmingham is a shithole and no one wants to buy Villa. <_<

There is literally hundreds of different reasons as to why clubs are taken over. I'm sure Lerners asking price may be putting people off.

Edited by DavidMarrio
  • Like 1

Man U can sell out a 75.000 seater stadium in a city smaller than Birmingham, size really doesn't matter.

Not when the West Coast Main Line can ferry your fanbase in from Surrey, sure.

I'm sure all Chelsea fans live within spitting distance of Stamford Bridge amirite?

Fans come from all over, of course they do. Even the ones born locally will move house etc. (Example A: a Stockport County fan I know who now lives in Milton Keynes...)

The particular needling of Man Utd fans is a trope, but it's one I feel entitled to keep up after having suffered London-Manchester trains over-fucking-flowing with United fans, both before and on the return from an Old Trafford game. I had obviously made the joke before, but was frankly staggered by the reality of it.