The Barclays Premier League Thread 2014/2015

brenchill

I could flop my dick across a chalkboard and win a league title at Celtic, the Eredivisie is much more competitive.

When de Boer took over, Ajax hadn't won a league title for 6 years.

• Like 4

I could flop my dick across a chalkboard and win a league title at Celtic, the Eredivisie is much more competitive.

When de Boer took over, Ajax hadn't won a league title for 6 years.

Now it is yes, but when O'Neill was at Celtic it was much more competitive. Celtic had only won it once in the previous 13 years before he came in and finished runners up only 4 times in that era.

Edited by TCO

And Guardiola's only managed Barca and Bayern, doesn't stop him being fantastic. I'm not saying De Boer is a sure thing, but I don't think someone should be dismissed just because they've only won a bunch of titles in a European division which isn't England, Italy, France or Spain.

I do get both sides of the argument though. The idea that De Boer is so far ahead of other potential candidates is a bit silly.

I don't think it's silly. He's won a bunch of titles, he's a manager who knows how to win things and has experience collecting trophies, I think it counts for a lot. If it's that easy, other managers should go out and do it. It's also the type of football they play, also has experience managing expectations of a big club. I would have been happy with him as Spurs manager, hed be brilliant for Newcastle.

That said, heard he ruled it out as he doesn't move mid year, like spurs last year.

Oh and sterling clear apparently which is beyond ridiculous.

Martin O'Neill at Celtic ticked all those boxes too and he never matched those heights, barring a good spell with Villa. I just don't think achievements is lesser leagues can be truly considered when making a step up to one of the big ones.

Shteve did a magnificent job at Twente, flopped in Germany and is now in the Championship. De Boer is in the biggest club in his country by a mile and has one of, if not the best academy in world football. I'm sure he's more than capable and I wouldn't be disappointed if he came to Newcastle but he's definitely not a sure thing.

Not that any of the other candidates are any good, he's definitely the most exciting choice and I'm sure he'd get the most out of Siem De Jong who I forget exists sometimes.

He might make Vurnon Anita do something of note!

And Guardiola's only managed Barca and Bayern, doesn't stop him being fantastic. I'm not saying De Boer is a sure thing, but I don't think someone should be dismissed just because they've only won a bunch of titles in a European division which isn't England, Italy, France or Spain.

But could Pep manage Stoke to a home victory on a wet and windy Wednesday night?

• Like 4

There's a very strong argument to be had that Pep walked into the best team in the world in both his jobs and has yet to be really challenged. In fact the one time his Bayern time came up against a team of their quality, he got bitchslapped tactically by Ancelotti. Not to mention Chelsea in the semi-final in 2012. He left Barcelona at the right time.

I'd honestly like to see him try and play that type of football without the players he's had at his disposal. Pep shouldn't even be spoken of in the same breath as Mourinho in my view.

I'm not undermining De Boer's achievements and I'm sure he has the tools to succeed. I'm just not instantly putting him above other managers because he's never worked in one of the top leagues. The big leagues are a different environment, he may thrive or he may do an AVB.

There's a very strong argument to be had that Pep walked into the best team in the world in both his jobs and has yet to be really challenged. In fact the one time his Bayern time came up against a team of their quality, he got bitchslapped tactically by Ancelotti. Not to mention Chelsea in the semi-final in 2012. He left Barcelona at the right time.

I'd honestly like to see him try and play that type of football without the players he's had at his disposal. Pep shouldn't even be spoken of in the same breath as Mourinho in my view.

I'm not undermining De Boer's achievements and I'm sure he has the tools to succeed. I'm just not instantly putting him above other managers because he's never worked in one of the top leagues. The big leagues are a different environment, he may thrive or he may do an AVB.

What, lead a team to their best all time point finish, improve a player to the point where he sells for a world record fee, and then get thrown out as soon as something doesn't go swimmingly?

Yes, I love and miss AVB :crying:

• Like 4

Just missed out on tickets to the Utd-Southampton game. Bugger. Funny how there were some available for that, but not Burnley or Leicester.

If anyone can get hold of any before the end of the season, give me a shout. It's been a few seasons since I've been to a game.

Your best bet is probably late availability or general sale.

Don't know if United's ticketing system works like ours but you normally always end up with some tickets going back on sale. Normally tells you when they'd go on sale too.

Tickets for the Southampton game were available to members. I'm not a member this season, but you can buy both the membership and ticket in the same transaction. By the time my mate had confirmed that he wanted to go ahead and do it (would have cost us around £120 each including petrol etc.), they'd disappeared from the site and only hospitality packages are available.

"Everybody now knows how things work under Newcastle owner Mike Ashley, so it will be very interesting to see who is the next Magpies manager. The first thing to consider is that it has to be somebody who will work to a budget, and also somebody willing to accept that if a bid comes in for one of your best players then he will be sold.

"They need to appoint somebody who is used to that, and who has a record of bringing in Championship players and turning them into top-class players. It screams David Moyes to me. At Everton he produced some very good teams, reduced their debt and ran the club extremely well."

Mark Lawrenson, Spanish football expert.

• Like 1

• Admin
Tony Pulis will be appointed as West Brom head coach to succeed the sacked Alan Irvine.
The former Stoke and Crystal Palace manager is likely to be confirmed in the position on Thursday.
It is hoped he will be in the stands at Upton Park for West Brom's trip to West Ham.
There are still some details to be decided, but the deal is expected to proceed without a problem.