The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

7 hours ago, TMM said:

Not wanting to get into it over again, it was a reckless tackle, not mistimed. Shawcross never showed a massive amount of regret and apparently visited Ramsey in the hospital but Ramsey said he knew nothing about it.

Shawcross up until recently was always an incredibly reckless player and Ramsey wasn't his first. 

The fans always target Ramsey and abuse him for the leg break, it is to do with the fact he never forgave Shawcross but why would you forgive someone who never accepted what they did was wrong?

Decent game, we were far too sloppy but a draw at Stoke is a good point. Ox was a bit crap again. Also apparently Stoke fans can't tell the difference between 16 and 18 and Ramsey and Monreal as they were randomly booing him as well.

What nonsense, it was a bad tackle but there was nothing malicious about it, it was just horrid luck. Shawcross was regretful he'd caused an injury, particularly one as serious as Ramsey suffered, but he shouldn't need to come out and pretend he's some horrible human being because of an unfortunate incident. It's hardly Roy Keane and "take that you cunt" territory.

• Like 8

When we played Stoke last week Shawcross was the calm head at the back, constantly having to stop Wollscheid from arguing/fighting his way to a red card. That said, the way he stormed across the field to slam into Gary O'Neil when he committed that foul that got him sent off for Norwich was ridiculous.

This talk reminds me of that Andy Cole tackle on Simon Colosimo in that Manchester United friendly in Australia a good few years ago(must be over 15  years ago I think).

Was in the papers a bit back then. Cole either didn't seem to think he did anything wrong, or he'd apologized depending on what you read.

16 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Started his coaching career in Italy with Vicenza in the mid to late 90s, guiding them from Serie B all the way into Europe (they lost to Gianluca Vialli's Chelsea in the semi final of the UEFA Cup Winners Cup in 98), move onto Udinese and then Bologna where he against lost in Europe to an English team, Fulham in the finals of the Intertoto Cup, was sacked and then took Palermo from Serie B into the UEFA Cup but left before the next season.

He's only worked outside of Italy once, a single with Monaco in 2005-6 during Lyon's period of dominance. He was then Palermo manager for the 2007-8 season, but sacked in April, reappointed in May, sacked again but by November of that year he was manager again before being sacked in March of 2008 to be replaced by the man who had the job immediately before him... Palermo haven't had a manager last 3 years since Hungarian Gyula Feldmann was in charge... from 1931-1934.

Guidolin rejoined Udinese in 2010 and took them into the Champions League... losing to Arsenal (I'm sensing a theme with Guidolin and English clubs) in one of the qualifying rounds. More recently he's been technical director for the three teams the Pozzo family own (Udinese, Granada and Watford).

Wikipedia is fantastic.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Matt said:

What nonsense, it was a bad tackle but there was nothing malicious about it, it was just horrid luck. Shawcross was regretful he'd caused an injury, particularly one as serious as Ramsey suffered, but he shouldn't need to come out and pretend he's some horrible human being because of an unfortunate incident. It's hardly Roy Keane and "take that you cunt" territory.

Not once did I say there was anything malicious about it, I said it was reckless. Obviously it was horrid luck but the way he played/plays, something like that was always going to happen and it just happened to happen on that day to Aaron Ramsey. He did it Francis Jeffers, almost did to Emmanuel Adebayor and has a history of recklessly and dangerously diving into tackles. I won't pretend to see enough of him now to make a judgment, but at that time he was a decent defender with no ability to control how not to tackle dangerously.

I'm trying to work out if this Swansea/Watford game is any good or just two teams playing terribly which is making it entertaining. 

4 minutes ago, TMM said:

Not once did I say there was anything malicious about it, I said it was reckless. Obviously it was horrid luck but the way he played/plays, something like that was always going to happen and it just happened to happen on that day to Aaron Ramsey. He did it Francis Jeffers, almost did to Emmanuel Adebayor and has a history of recklessly and dangerously diving into tackles. I won't pretend to see enough of him now to make a judgment, but at that time he was a decent defender with no ability to control how not to tackle dangerously.

I'm trying to work out if this Swansea/Watford game is any good or just two teams playing terribly which is making it entertaining. 

Its kind of like a pro clubs match in FIFA

• Like 1

The first edition of the Manchester United podcast I listen to since before the game against Sheffield United was just released. They were far more upbeat about the rest of the season than I feel right now. Even the host that's been fairly negative most of the season, including being a massive supporter of the sack Van Gaal movement as recently as their last episode, now says we will scrape into 4th.