The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

Didn't think we'd take three points here so it's not a bad result but it annoys me throwing the game away with sloppyness there at the end. Should have won, we were the better team but oh well.

5 minutes ago, Kaney said:

Didn't think we'd take three points here so it's not a bad result but it annoys me throwing the game away with sloppyness there at the end. Should have won, we were the better team but oh well.

Really? Didn't think you were the better team at all. Dont think we were either at the same time. Most of our problems was because we created them for ourselves. Neither team deserved the win and a draw was a fair result.

Haven't had the chance to watch our match against Swansea yet but I know all the crack. Might have been offside for two of them but at least Defoe put them away and that's all you can ask of him really. It's up to the officials to get the decisions right. It wasn't a sending off either apparently. we were extremely lucky, but at least we were.

Edited by FrostyPickle_3:16

8 hours ago, Gorka said:

Extremely lucky. That referee shouldn't officiate games in the Premier League for a long, long time.

He got the penalty wrong too :lol:. Not the best game for officials, Defoe's first was offside, second was onside it was very tight but your players waited for the offside to be called, can't be doing that, have to play to the whistle. His third was onside.

Someone's already got to his wiki page. XD

Dropped as a Premier League Official after an appalling display where he refereed a game between Swansea v Sunderland in the Premier League at the Liberty Stadium on 13th January 2016 and never got a single decision correct

It does seem odd that he was promoted to the Select Group for this season. The guy's 47 years old, never been a FIFA ref, never really had high profile matches in the lower leagues. It smacks of a promotion as a reward for longevity.

The red was very harsh. There was only one goal offside for me though and that's on the linesman, obviously I don't mind us getting it anyway.

Anyone seen Gary O'Neil's sending off for Norwich? Ridiculous tackle and then Tettey kicked one of the Stoke players in the dick.

4 hours ago, Lineker said:

Typical Spurs of old last night. Oh well. Hopefully we beat Leicester next week in the final edition of the trilogy.

If it helps, I also hope you beat us. As much as I'd love an FA Cup run, we don't have the depth in the team for it without at least two or three more signings, and the league has to be the priority with the amount of money on the line and going forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrostyPickle_3:16 said:

He got the penalty wrong too :lol:. Not the best game for officials, Defoe's first was offside, second was onside it was very tight but your players waited for the offside to be called, can't be doing that, have to play to the whistle. His third was onside.

Second was clearly off, MOTD did the standard 'line across the feet' where he was just about level but Defoe was clearly leaning into his sprint, his head and body were a few feet off. The entire refereeing team for that game should be in League 2 this weekend, two goals, a pen and a red card all wrong.

MOTDs punditry was basically useless, they also managed allow five minutes to argue over the correct Man Utd pen but not even mention the missed ones on Janmaat and Colback.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ultra Rare Colly said:

Second was clearly off, MOTD did the standard 'line across the feet' where he was just about level but Defoe was clearly leaning into his sprint, his head and body were a few feet off. The entire refereeing team for that game should be in League 2 this weekend, two goals, a pen and a red card all wrong.

MOTDs punditry was basically useless, they also managed allow five minutes to argue over the correct Man Utd pen but not even mention the missed ones on Janmaat and Colback.

Obviously I'm going to be biased but point still remains, Swansea defence and Fabianski shouldn't be standing around waiting for the whistle.

• Admin

The Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner will take a back seat in the running of the club after announcing the appointment of Steve Hollis as chairman.

The American owner has confirmed Hollis, a former deputy chairman of Birmingham Metropolitan College, as his replacement at Villa Park.

Lerner had promised to step down as chairman last May if he failed to sell the club, who are bottom of the Premier League, last summer.

In a statement, he said: “Regarding my future role with Villa, I expect to remain engaged with both Steve and Tom (Fox, chief executive) although at a somewhat further distance that I believe suits the reality that I live full-time in the States. That is appropriate given Steve’s need to have the room to make decisions on behalf of the board.

“Villa’s success is dependent in aggregate on the skills, determination and commitment of the manager, chief executive and chairman. I believe Steve can contribute meaningfully alongside Tom and Rémi (Garde, manager) and identify opportunities that can take the club forward.”

Villa are eight points from safety and host second-placed Leicester on Saturday having ended a 19-match winless run by beating Crystal Palace 1-0 on Tuesday.

Villa look set to be relegated to the Championship after five years of battling the drop, and Hollis admitted the club needs a change.

“The club needs a shake up and with Randy’s continued support the board will look forward to working with Tom and Rémi to help drive the changes that our fans rightfully demand and that our city can be proud of,” he said.

“As we have witnessed in the Premier League this year with other clubs – money no longer buys success. Randy has consistently provided financial backing no less so than last year. Our future success however lies in building a winning culture that is underpinned by a commitment to continuous improvement both on and off the pitch.”