2015 NFL Season

Dan

16 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Hoyer is throwing this away over and over. We must draft a quarterback. 

lol you're a Texans fan?

I hope its Weeden time!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rafael said:

Hoyer is awful.

I remember last season there was an Adam Scheffer article calling Michigan State the next Quarterback U. based on Hoyer, Cousins, Drew Stanton and Nick Foles (who was at MSU one season and played in one game before transferring to Arizona). So, I guess not on all that.

7 hours ago, Meacon said:

Color me unimpressed with Gase. He was the Denver offensive coordinator when Peyton was still playing like Peyton. His offense in Chicago this year was alright, when you consider the injuries, but I just don't see the big hub-bub about him. I imagine the intent with this hire was to bring in someone that could potentially save Tannehill from crashing and burning.

Somebody always has to be the hot assistant coach. For years it was whoever a coordinator for the Pats, or somebody like Rod Marinelli. You have to find a head coach from somewhere.

There doesn't seem to be any buzz about college coaches, so that's why the same five assistants are going to interview for every job. Apparently, the Bucs fired Lovie Smith because the Dolphins wanted to interview Dirk Cutter (their OC)

I don't have anything really invested in the Bengals vs. Steelers, but it is making me nervous. Wouldn't mind seeing the Bengals advance if I had to choose. Vontaze Burfict is an idiot though.

If I was a Bengals player, I'd thank Jones and Burfict for being outstanding team players.

And Steelers win, but the Bengals can only blame themselves.

EDIT: That Burfict hit though is one of those things the NFL needs to address with the head hit policy. Just make all hits above the shoulders an offense no matter if it is a runner, passer, blocker, etc. Otherwise, it leaves too many grey areas. I don't think that is anywhere near being the worst head targeting hit I've seen, because it honestly looked like a shoulder to head more than the crown to helmet that was given to Bernard.

lol, Bengals. I can't believe how their D contrived to throw that away after they took the lead.

Burfict is an absolute nutjob. With regards the final penalty on Jones, did anyone catch what he actually did?

12 hours ago, Meacon said:

Color me unimpressed with Gase. He was the Denver offensive coordinator when Peyton was still playing like Peyton. His offense in Chicago this year was alright, when you consider the injuries, but I just don't see the big hub-bub about him. I imagine the intent with this hire was to bring in someone that could potentially save Tannehill from crashing and burning.

I didn't understand the hype either. He had been mentioned for Detroit and I didn't really like the idea all that much. My concern is that he's a bud of Jim Bob Cooter and might poach him as an OC for Miami.

So anyway, Lions. I like the hiring of this Bob Quin, about as much as I can like any GM hiring. They didn't promote from within which was feared, and they brought a guy in from a team with a proven track record. Supposedly Hoodie doesn't like many in his war room on draft day, but Quin did earn his way in, and has been a scout at every level for the Pats. I'm actually impressed with Martha Ford thus far, she's got bigger balls than her husband did, she isn't buying this loyalty shit and wasn't too stubborn/proud to seek help from the NFL. In fact, from tidbits I've read, she's been seeking advice from other owners, and of course had Ernie Acorsi involved in the GM search/selection process, something William Clay Ford never did (and should have as he was an inept owner).

As it stands with our coaching situation, Caldwell and Quinn are meeting tonight or tomorrow about Caldwell's future. On one hand, Caldwell is kind of a moron and on the other hand his players love and respect him. If he has the right coordinators in place, and the right talent, we might win regardless of him being a dunce. The thing is, we need to retain Cooter and hopefully Austin (he has had interviews, but nobody has hired him yet so he could stay in Detroit). I'm not sure what Quinn wants to do, but I'd consider firing Caldwell, and promoting Austin as my head coach. That keeps the defensive scheme intact, keeps a smart defensive mind, and also makes it likely that Austin would just keep Cooter as his OC.

One name linked to us due to Quinn is Josh McDaniel. Sort of scares me a bit given that he drafted Tebow in the first round. I don't know if that was a McDaniel thing or the GM, but it was such an awful Lionesque choice. On the other hand, he can't be talked with until the Pats are out of the playoffs (which may very well be the Super Bowl).

So...I almost think keeping Caldwell is the right move given the lack of decent coaching candidates. Or my plan, promote Austin.

6 minutes ago, DFF said:

lol, Bengals. I can't believe how their D contrived to throw that away after they took the lead.

Burfict is an absolute nutjob. With regards the final penalty on Jones, did anyone catch what he actually did?

Pacman grabbed Joey Porter who's now a coach for the Steelers by the jacket.

Either way, incredible ending there. From Burficts pick, to Hills fumble. Big Bens return, I mean better storylines than the WWE! Even if Pacman let that go and just Burfict got the flag, Cincy still had a shot to keep the game in their favor. I feel bad for Cincinnati, but man, you kinda deserve losing for doing that shit.

• Like 1

Outrageous game. Just run 3 short runs, have Pitt burn all their timeouts, and go up by 4. If you're lucky you get a 1st down. Instead Hill tried to make magic happen. And of course emotions were gonna boil over when you have Prime Minister of Shitlord Mountain Joey Porter coaching for the other team.

Addressing helmet-to-helmet, not leaving gray area is pretty heinous. You can't just go "guy's a runner after 2 steps" even if he's secured possession. For all the care and attention to head issues they sure don't mind letting guys fly in like battering rams so long as the person's a runner.

Oh and Marv Lewis should be gone for letting his team behave that way in any case, that and an inexcusable 0-7 playoff record.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, damshow said:

Addressing helmet-to-helmet, not leaving gray area is pretty heinous. You can't just go "guy's a runner after 2 steps" even if he's secured possession. For all the care and attention to head issues they sure don't mind letting guys fly in like battering rams so long as the person's a runner.

This is my biggest gripe with the NFL right now. I'd like to see all hits above the shoulders be deemed illegal and that ends all discussion. Guys will have to learn to not do it and if it means a bunch of penalties for a few games then so be it. But don't put on this "Oh we are so concerned by concussions and head injury" talk if you are still going to designate that some guys can be hit above the shoulders.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, damshow said:

Outrageous game. Just run 3 short runs, have Pitt burn all their timeouts, and go up by 4. If you're lucky you get a 1st down. Instead Hill tried to make magic happen. And of course emotions were gonna boil over when you have Prime Minister of Shitlord Mountain Joey Porter coaching for the other team.

Oh and Marv Lewis should be gone for letting his team behave that way in any case, that and an inexcusable 0-7 playoff record.

I completely disagree. End of the game, you have to have your best players out there - especially in the playoffs. I'm more than sure he addressed his worries with Burfict prior to that last drive, if not before and during the whole game. While his record is pretty shit in the playoffs, they should've won with a backup QB in. Hill fumbling, Burficts hit and Pacmans actions were the three reasons they lost that game and none of those can be blamed on the coach.

2 minutes ago, Krone said:

I completely disagree. End of the game, you have to have your best players out there - especially in the playoffs. I'm more than sure he addressed his worries with Burfict prior to that last drive, if not before and during the whole game. While his record is pretty shit in the playoffs, they should've won with a backup QB in. Hill fumbling, Burficts hit and Pacmans actions were the three reasons they lost that game and none of those can be blamed on the coach.

They all can be blamed on the coach. Guys have emotions, the other team always will try to get you to lash out (especially Pittsburgh), but evidently the message you're giving them isn't working. And the fumble is completely his fault for wanting to go for such risky run plays to try and get a 1st down. Yes Dalton was hurt and that would normally be a lifeline, but they still went 4-5 after an 8-0 start this year. It's been a lot of things and a meltdown from his team in a playoff game is the kind of nail in the coffin for him.

And in potentially big news Antonio Brown is in concussion protocol and won't be able to play next week unless he clears it.

A risky run play? It looked like a simple iso up the middle to a guy who had three fumbles all year. Not saying he never drops the rock, but in at least field goal range and a first down away from potentially locking the game up - what else was he supposed to do? Ain't gonna pass it there. Geo was knocked out of the game. Take a trio of knees? That'd still give the Steelers well over a minute to play with. Sure they'd be up by four but with Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant as big play threats, why not just play the odds and hand the ball off.

5 minutes ago, Krone said:

A risky run play? It looked like a simple iso up the middle to a guy who had three fumbles all year. Not saying he never drops the rock, but in at least field goal range and a first down away from potentially locking the game up - what else was he supposed to do? Ain't gonna pass it there. Geo was knocked out of the game. Take a trio of knees? That'd still give the Steelers well over a minute to play with. Sure they'd be up by four but with Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant as big play threats, why not just play the odds and hand the ball off.

He was holding it with arm. The playcall was not "play it safe" because he was holding it with one arm. It's such a telltale sign they were trying to push for the first down marker or the endzone.

And their defense was suffocating and they'd either have a crippled Roethlisberger or Landry Jones needing 80 yards and a TD with no time left had they gotten a FG. Odds of winning there are ~99%

1 minute ago, damshow said:

He was holding it with arm. The playcall was not "play it safe" because he was holding it with one arm. It's such a telltale sign they were trying to push for the first down marker or the endzone.

Well in any event, I'm on the fence with Lewis. He's got the fail-safe because Dalton wasn't playing but his playoff record more than shows they can't win in crunch time. It depends if Cincinnati is okay with being consistently good and losing primetime games all while hoping they can pull through one of those times or if they want to go out and find themselves a new coach. The Reds suck so the only thing the city has to look forward to is football and their team keeps choking games away when they need them.

Pacman and Burfict though, that's what I really call into question. Giving up thirty yards on personal foul penalties but I've always been of the mindset that those calls go on the players shoulders and not the coach. There's no way Marv didn't tell his guys that this shit couldn't happen and for Burfict to do that followed by more Pacman tomfoolery, that just comes with the territory of having those types of players. Maybe Lewis doesn't have the respect from his players who knows, but that was their game to win and more than anything those three players cost them that win.

But enough of that, how about the grapefruits on Big Ben to step back into the game and lead those guys down the field like that. Interesting to hear his diagnosis and if Antonio Brown will be a go against Denver next week.