Premier League 2017/18

Lineker

I think this is one of those cases where the referee can't keep up with the speed of the game. Mane was going away from goal and trying to win the ball.

All Liverpool fans seem incensed, but come on. On first viewing yeah, it doesn't look much to warrant a red card, but look at it on the replays and he has flown in, studs up, right into the goalkeeper's face and throat. How is that not dangerous play? He has endangered the opponent, and injured him at that. It's not something he needed to do, "eyes on the ball"/"trying to win it" is a flimsy argument when you launch a studs-up boot at head height.

1 minute ago, Adam said:

All Liverpool fans seem incensed, but come on. On first viewing yeah, it doesn't look much to warrant a red card, but look at it on the replays and he has flown in, studs up, right into the goalkeeper's face and throat. How is that not dangerous play? He has endangered the opponent, and injured him at that. It's not something he needed to do, "eyes on the ball"/"trying to win it" is a flimsy argument when you launch a studs-up boot at head height.

To be fair, Nerf said it was a red card.

And Jesus makes it 2-0. 

Just now, Adam said:

I was going off the live viewing and to me, it looked like he'd gone for the ball, missed it, and his leg had come down before colliding with the keeper body to body. I didn't realise he was channeling his inner Test with the big boot. The fact Ederson has had to come off as well will only further justify the decision.

He should be red carded just for the face he's pulling :shifty:

In all seriousness, I think it can be best summed up as being unintentional, but dangerous play. Not all red cards are for intentional fouls or whatever, sometimes you go in and do something by accident, you misjudge a situation and it ends up being worthy of a dismissal.

Liverpool are going to need to get Coutinho up to match speed quickly now, three games without Mane is going to hurt.

It's ultimately an unfortunate collision. Mane isn't trying to kick him in the head. He's going at at incredible pace trying to win the ball. Edison has rushed out miles out of his goal. 

Chelsea have decided not to give Danny Drinkwater an immediate starting spot away at Leicester. Shame. :shifty:

Looks like a 3-5-2 though, with Kante/Fabregas/Bakayoko in central midfield and Pedro/Morata ahead of them.

Deserved to get hammered there. We were so poor after the red card. 

Salah even if he didn't have a good game, being subbed kinda killed an attacking threat we had simply because of his pace. 

A lot of poor performances by the likes of Can, Klavan etc today. Thought Arnold struggled as well. 

Suppose if you offered 7 points out of our opening four I'd be okay with it. Just a shame about our abysmal set piece defending against Watford otherwise we'd be on 9.