Premier League 2017/18

Lineker

Is Chris Sutton in mountains of debt or something? Miles away from football for well over a decade, then suddenly everywhere looking miserable as sin. He doesn't want to be there and I don't want him to be either. 

• Like 2

There seems to be a new style of punditry creeping in which is basically 'Let's find people who will say absolutely any old Dave in the Pub / Yer Da uninformed controversial bollocks' because it will generate more clicks and views etc. It started when the BBC would trot out Garth Crooks to talk shit then the numpties on Soccer Saturday took it to a whole new level with the likes of Merson and the other coaching failures, now it's everywhere. 

Best one this weekend was ex-Blackburn tit Tony Gale mocking Ederson for staying down when being Yakuza Kicked in the face and praising Tom Heaton as a 'proper man' for waving to the fans after he dislocated his shoulder, presumably with his uninjured arm. That of course also has the faint whiff of xenophobia because all foreigners are big girls blouses. 

• Like 3

I'm still not over Merson ranting about the appointment at Hull of Marco Silva because he's a foreigner who hasn't done anything despite his UCL experience with two different clubs, insisting that they'd have been better off hiring "Gary Rowlett" because he's English, even though he can't say Rowett's name correctly. 

There is a giant pile of useless pundits and Merse sits atop them all. At least Garth Crooks, who is also beyond atrocious, is blissfully ignorant as to how out of touch he is. Merse has no excuse, he's just an obnoxious idiot who thinks he knows better than everyone he passes judgement on. 

Sutton, Jenas, Ince, Thompson, Dixon...the list goes on and on across every channel with these muppets and it's about time they all came up with a new format that doesn't feature the indulgent, idiotic opinions of ex-players who have forgotten what little they ever knew about the game in the first place. 

• Like 1

Out of those listed, Jenas is the only one I can stand - but I'd definitely prefer them to move away from ex-pros as pundits and start to use some actual talent like the likes of Nico Morales or Statman Dave. Expected goals is in-thing at the moment, so it'd make sense to have some people who actually understand what it means on.

I think the main problem is, if you're an ex-professional and you actually understand the game on some sort of deeper level than 'put the ball in the net' or have the inclination to learn, you do your badges and you go into coaching, management or some other off-field role. These people don't have the time to do that role and a media role, therefore all you end up with in the media roles are the ignorant ones, if you're lucky, you might get someone like a Hoddle or a Pleat who understood the game at a point in time, but never moved with the times so their punditry is archaic.

I don't think it's a coincidence that every pundit has either never had a backroom role or has been an abject failure when they did. To use Merson as an example, took over at Walsall, who were midtable in the Championship, got them relegated, nearly got relegated in League One the next season and was sacked when they were in the relegation zone early in his third season and they were eventually relegated to League Two. They've never really recovered in the decade since.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Gazz said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that every pundit has either never had a backroom role or has been an abject failure when they did.

I was about to bring up Ruud Gullit but luckily I took a step back and reminded myself that I can't keep letting the 1997 FA Cup mask the rest of his managerial career. :shifty: 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gazz said:

I think the main problem is, if you're an ex-professional and you actually understand the game on some sort of deeper level than 'put the ball in the net' or have the inclination to learn, you do your badges and you go into coaching, management or some other off-field role. These people don't have the time to do that role and a media role, therefore all you end up with in the media roles are the ignorant ones, if you're lucky, you might get someone like a Hoddle or a Pleat who understood the game at a point in time, but never moved with the times so their punditry is archaic.

I don't think it's a coincidence that every pundit has either never had a backroom role or has been an abject failure when they did. To use Merson as an example, took over at Walsall, who were midtable in the Championship, got them relegated, nearly got relegated in League One the next season and was sacked when they were in the relegation zone early in his third season and they were eventually relegated to League Two. They've never really recovered in the decade since.

If they were any good at managing then they would be managers making bank and wouldn't be pundits in the first place. It's the old thing of "if you can't do, teach", except they failed at the teaching and just shout abuse at the kids.

4 minutes ago, Benji said:

If they were any good at managing then they would be managers making bank and wouldn't be pundits in the first place. It's the old thing of "if you can't do, teach", except they failed at the teaching and just shout abuse at the kids.

"If you can't teach, teach PE."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Benji said:

Have you been watching me and my under 9's? :shifty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ah, Graeme Souness, the gift that nobody wants but keeps on giving...

But the Frenchman was forced off with a hamstring injury after just 18 minutes, to be replaced by Marouane Fellaini.

And insult was added to Pogba's injury by the former Liverpool player and manager Graeme Souness, who was working as a pundit for Irish television channel TV3.

Despite Pogba's brief cameo, Souness still saw fit to criticise the Frenchman, citing a passage of play in which he seemed to stay on the right side of the pitch after losing possession, and claiming that his replacement Fellaini - who scored United's opening goal of the 3-0 win just 17 minutes after coming on - was a more effective central midfielder.

"I want to see Paul Pogba do what Fellaini does," said Souness, who won five league titles and three European Cups with Liverpool, and managed the club between 1991 and 1994.

The Scot went on to describe Pogba as "a bit of a YouTuber" who has not won much in his career.

Just the four Scudetto's, two Coppa Italia's, two Supercoppa Italiana's, Europa League, League Cup and U-20 World Cup. Not to mention a Golden Ball, a Golden Boy and the World Cup Best Young Player awards by the age of 24...

I think they need to embrace journalists as pundits rather then just focus on ex players. 

The European football show on BT had some great insight and discussion until they decided to fuck it off. 

I think the problem you get is you're gonna get more of a social media reaction of people saying something controversial or daft then someone with actual serious intelligent discussion. People will talk about say Robbie Savage saying something really stupid more than they would about an articulate thought by someone else. 

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

I think he means 'does stepovers' and all that fancy nonsense they didn't do in the 1970's, where Souness still lives.

Souness has the best YouTube video 

He literally brought himself on to do this.

• Like 2