Premier League 2017/18

Lineker

4 hours ago, Lineker said:

Probable dislocated shoulder for Tom Heaton. Tough break for the Dingles.

I get that this comes from the strong Blackburn contingent here, but can you also start referring to Wolves and Barnsley as the Dingles if you're going to call Burnley that? They aren't the only ones in this country...

NOW. On to the real news. Crystal Palace are an utter, utter joke. FOUR games given to a manager, a manager you appointed to change the playing philosophy of the club. Anybody who saw that game yesterday knows that they should have beaten Burnley about 5-0. Steve Parish comes out and says all this stuff about sticking together, it's only been four games, then turns round immediately and sacks him. The fact they already lined Hodgson (HA!) up to replace him means he knew when he said all that bullshit that it was indeed just that: bullshit.

Parish has lost all credibility, and in my experience that credibility will never return. That club statement saying basically nothing is absolutely cowardly, and tomorrow they'll parade Hodgson around Selhurst like it's some great thing. When Doncaster did something similar, we didn't recover and got relegated pathetically. Our much-loved chairman publicly backed Sean O'Driscoll after a bad start to the season, then turned round before another game had been played and sacked him in the middle of the night, instantaneously replaced him with Dean Saunders, and his reputation was sullied permanently before he quit the club in ignominy right before a big local derby. Saunders got us relegated and O'Driscoll's career was damaged too. Lose-lose all round, just like what will happen here at Palace.

They have let De Boer put a squad of largely younger, dynamic players together with an idea in mind to mold them into something, and it hasn't worked straight away which is no surprise. What will Hodgson do with this lot? If my time watching him in charge of England is anything to go by, he'll turn them into timid, dour footballers with no sense of ingenuity whatsoever. Even better, Palace's next four games include Chelsea at home and away trips to the Manchester clubs. We could very easily be sat here in four games time saying that Hodgson has overseen 4 straight defeats too, at which point surely he deserves the sack as well on Palace's reckoning?

Poor Frank De Boer, his career is essentially ruined now. He'll either have to go back to the Eredivisie to lick his wounds for an extended period of time, give up altogether or take his next job at a lower league and hope it revives his reputation. I'll tell you what, I'll take him at Rovers any day.

• Like 1

De Boer must be raking it in though, three year contract at Inter, sacked after three months, presumably with a full pay off. Three year contract at Palace, sacked after three months, presumably with a full pay off.

• Like 2

Just now, Gazz said:

De Boer must be raking it in though, three year contract at Inter, sacked after three months, presumably with a full pay off. Three year contract at Palace, sacked after three months, presumably with a full pay off.

Don't think I'd complain at two big pay offs for little work like. 

Just now, Gazz said:

Don't work hard, work smart. 

Palace's next four games are Southampton at home, then away to Man City and Man Utd, then home to Chelsea.

Hodgson next premier league manager to be sacked? :shifty:

2 minutes ago, Lineker said:

To think, we almost chose FDB over Poch...

This is it though, you (not just you, but the media and many who don't look into it too much) are now just writing De Boer off as a failure of football management, and it isn't fair. He hasn't had any time to prove whether or not he's any good at Inter or Palace, certainly not at Palace, after doing a great job at Ajax. I'm not saying he's as good as Pochettino, but there's no reason to believe that he wouldn't have done a solid job, given the time and resources we know he'd have gotten at Spurs, or at Everton where he was nearly appointed a year ago.

From a professional stand point I feel very sorry for him. Where is the accountability to people like Parish, who appoint these managers and then sack them the second it doesn't go swimmingly?

• Like 1

It's at times like this I'm reminded of a quote from 'The Thick of It' when Malcolm Tucker is talking to Nicola Murray after her first week in the Cabinet proves to be a disaster.

'Sacked after six weeks? It looks like he's (the Prime Minister) fucked up. Sacked after six months? You've fucked up.'

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Adam said:

This is it though, you (not just you, but the media and many who don't look into it too much) are now just writing De Boer off as a failure of football management, and it isn't fair. He hasn't had any time to prove whether or not he's any good at Inter or Palace, certainly not at Palace, after doing a great job at Ajax. I'm not saying he's as good as Pochettino, but there's no reason to believe that he wouldn't have done a solid job, given the time and resources we know he'd have gotten at Spurs, or at Everton where he was nearly appointed a year ago.

From a professional stand point I feel very sorry for him. Where is the accountability to people like Parish, who appoint these managers and then sack them the second it doesn't go swimmingly?

Honestly think they need to implement manager windows at this point. It's ridiculous.

• Like 1