FIFA World Cup 2018

Lineker

Very disappointing in the sense of what might have been, especially given some of the first half chances to increase the lead, but overall they can be proud of what they've achieved to get to the semis. Hopefully they can kick on and have a good showing in the Euros next.

• Like 2

Before the tournament draw was made, I thought that England under Gareth Southgate would go out in the Group Stage. Even with the luck they had with other teams going out, getting to the Semi-Finals with a team that, on paper, doesn't consist of world-class players is still an impressive achievement. I've enjoyed this period of low expectations being surpassed, and I only hope that we don't go back to the "Golden Generation" era of overhype after this. Yes, there are some good players coming through the youth teams, but I really, really hope that most sensible people can stay reasonably grounded.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PolaMDK said:

Do you ever feel a little conflicted supporting an English team but hating England?

this would involve me actually hating England

When in fact I am nonchalant.

I am well into Croatia getting to the final though.

1 minute ago, Hobo said:

this would involve me actually hating England

When in fact I am nonchalant.

I am well into Croatia getting to the final though.

Degsy Lovren: World Cup and Champions League finalist in the same year. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arjen Robben said:

I always wonder this. Always strikes me as odd when you see people hating England but all seem to support Man Utd or Liverpool. 

To answer that myself, I don't particularly think it's relevant? I mean Arsenal might be an English club but my favourite players aren't English and it's not as if there even were any gunners in the England squad.

7 minutes ago, Arjen Robben said:

I always wonder this. Always strikes me as odd when you see people hating England but all seem to support Man Utd or Liverpool. 

Tbf most of the England squad is filled with Spurs bottlejobs anyway.... :shifty:

3 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Before the tournament draw was made, I thought that England under Gareth Southgate would go out in the Group Stage. Even with the luck they had with other teams going out, getting to the Semi-Finals with a team that, on paper, doesn't consist of world-class players is still an impressive achievement. I've enjoyed this period of low expectations being surpassed, and I only hope that we don't go back to the "Golden Generation" era of overhype after this. Yes, there are some good players coming through the youth teams, but I really, really hope that most sensible people can stay reasonably grounded.

We're winning in 2022 with the core of this group and then retaining the title in 2026 with the 2000 generation. Then when we win it again in 2030 with my U10's, FIFA will declare us Champions for Eternity.

• Like 4

Just now, Spainanite said:

To answer that myself, I don't particularly think it's relevant? I mean Arsenal might be an English club but my favourite players aren't English and it's not as if there even were any gunners in the England squad.

Because they are shite. And have you noticed there are no Scottish players in the England squad?

Checkmate, Kanthiests.

I should also add I don't particularly even hate they England squad. I hate the hype that surrounds the team, the superiority complex that comes with it, as if they are entitled to be contenders etc. And I fucking hate Clive Tyldsley.

I forgot to say earlier that Southgate also has done wonders, he's actually been pretty damn great in terms of saying and doing the right things so hopefully he'll be sacked soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I dunno, I mean I've overstated saying I "always" wonder it, but it just seems odd to gravitate towards an English club, watch English football, and then actively root against England. But it sort of feels like if I just at some point decided I supported Real Madrid but at the same time actively hated Spain. Or supported Celtic but hated Scotland.

I feel like a lot of the more anti-England stuff comes as a result of the way the media is about the national team, but then the media around the Premier League is fucking annoying and shit too.

We can all relax and enjoy the final now ☺️

Also I don't hate England. I dislike the media and the fans. We share your media so the next 50 years would have been torture.

Also it has to have been the easiest path to a semi ever. Their toughest test was a Colombia with their best player missing and only squeaked past them.

Likeable manager and team, except Dele Alli, he's a right little shit!

• Like 1