2018 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

You never know with the Browns, but I assume they have had their mind made up for a couple weeks and are just putting out smoke screens with these constant changes in news about who they are leaning towards.

• Like 1

Your complaints about Barkley are why New York sports fans can't have nice things. :P

The Giants aren't quite as bad as 3-13 would suggest and having an actual running game for once in...a very long time, will actually help. They do still need to add OL and a QB to groom to replace Manning but acting like Barkley won't help at all is insane. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, livid said:

Your complaints about Barkley are why New York sports fans can't have nice things. :P

The Giants aren't quite as bad as 3-13 would suggest and having an actual running game for once in...a very long time, will actually help. They do still need to add OL and a QB to groom to replace Manning but acting like Barkley won't help at all is insane. 

The Giants last had a run game when they had one of the best offensive lines in the NFL.  There aren't many (or any, really) great RBs in the league that have a terrible line in front of them.  I'm really happy with the Nate Solder add, but his impact will mostly be felt in the pass blocking game.  The rest of the line are a bunch of scrubs and they let Weston Richburg who was their best interior run blocker go.

24 minutes ago, Meacon said:

I like Barkley as much as the next guy, but if the Giants OL doesn't get any better, it'll be like having a Ferrari while still living in a trailer park. :P 

This is exactly it.  My complaints have nothing to do with the player and everything to do with the fact that the roster has gaping holes in the two most important spots on the offense.  Barkley is great a player and a guy you jump for joy over being able to land when you've got our infrastructure sorted out and feel you are a piece or two away from contending.  He'll help but his impact won't really be felt until they can sort out the mess they've left for themselves at QB and OL.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Jaguars offensive line isn't exactly great (maybe @Dan can prove me wrong but I don't recall people being claiming they had a set OL) but Fournette made them look at least reasonably effective. Some RBs can overcome poor offensive line play (Carlos Hyde did last year for the 49ers). I get what you're saying because typically you have the OL and then you add the RB but sometimes you can do it in reverse if the guy is talented enough.

And I think Barkley is. Maybe he doesn't reach his ceiling without a monster OL but will still be good (and way better than anything they've had in years) And him being good means that they will be on the field more and the defense won't, which should allow them to live up to the talent they showed two years ago.

Its crazy the Giants aren't going for a QB when they're sitting there at #2 in a QB rich draft.  Adding Barkley might make them just good enough to not be able to pick this high again.

I hate LeBron!!!!! #LeBronSucks

— Josh Allen (@JoshAllenQB) June 7, 2011

Can't go to Cleveland now.

• Admin

FRISCO, Texas -- Commissioner Roger Goodell will have some company when he walks to the front of the stage Thursday night to start the NFL draft at AT&T Stadium -- the home of the Dallas Cowboys.

Booed in the past when taking the stage, Goodell is expected to be flanked by some Cowboys greats -- Hall of Fame quarterbacks Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman, as well as probable future Hall of Fame tight end Jason Witten.

"I'm sure he's going to get a good response with us being out there," Staubach said. "If they boo, all of us are in trouble."

:lol: 

2 hours ago, livid said:

Giants won their last two Super Bowls with a 4th and 7th round pick at running back. I'm good with not blowing the #2 overall pick on a running back when there's a declining 37 year old at QB. :P

Its objectively a terrible decision no matter what angle you look at it. Rookie contract value? Nope he becomes the 5th highest paid RB soon as he's picked at 2. What if the Giants don't like any of the QBs?  Then trade down, and take multiple first round picks. Giants fans who want Barkley are idiots. They've been completely spoiled by Eli and seem to think Davis "Can't beat out Geno" Webb is a franchise QB because its that simple. Can't wait to watch Barkley and OBJ's primes be wasted on 8-8 seasons with Brock Osweiler battling Tyrod Taylor for the starting job. :facepalm:

I hope I'm wrong but I think Gettleman is printing his own P45 by going with Barkley tonight.