2018 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

• Admin

IT'S HAPPENING (probably): 

Other stuff:

Former Florida wide receiver Antonio Callaway, who some personnel evaluators consider as talented as any wide receiver in this week's draft, tested positive for marijuana at the combine, NFL sources said. Callaway's new agent, Malki Kawa, said Tuesday that it was for a diluted sample. A diluted sample is treated as a positive test result under the NFL's Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse. Kawa did not represent Callaway during the combine; he was hired two weeks ago. Shortly after Callaway was informed that he tested positive, he and his former agent, Melvin Bratton, parted ways.

I really like Josh Rosen and in any other line of work his "attitude" would be sought after. But in football he's apparently "a risk". Never change NFL.

My roommate and I were talking and if he were somehow available at 16 I'd want the Ravens to take him to eventually succeed Flacco. He probably doesn't get past Buffalo though. Realistically I'd want a 3rd round QB to develop. Those are lower risk investments and if they don't work out you still have a few more chances until your starter moves on. 

• Like 2

I think some team is going to be absolutely thrilled that his "attitude" allowed them to land Rosen outside the top 3 picks.

I'm trying to get myself a bit hyped up for the likely event that the Cowboys draft Leighton Vander Esch.  Him being medically failed by a team certainly makes me want to avoid him, but it seems like that may have been overblown.  Watching some highlights he definitely seems like a guy who has a ton of potential, he's got all the tools, its just going to be a matter of whether or not what he's missing can be taught.  Learning from Sean Lee could be huge for his development.

Yeah, Rosen's "poor attitude" is probably why the Giants will pass on him even though I 100% think they should just go with him (or Darnold if the Browns passed).

I've mentally prepared myself for Barkley.  I'm not gonna jump for joy and celebrate like the Penn State fanboys.  But at least it's not Josh Allen.

On 4/23/2018 at 14:29, Meacon said:

Oklahoma State kid. He and Mayfield are kind of interchangeable in my list. I don’t trust Big-12 quarterbacks further than I can throw them.

If you're throwing against a Big-12 defense it'd probably be an 80 yard td.

• Admin
7 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Mike Mayock's mock has Rosen falling to the Cardinals.

If that scenario unfolds, you guys better sprint that pick up to the podium! 

Anyway - linky. Or, for the lazy...

Darnold to Cleveland, Barkley to NYG, Mayfield to NYJ, Chubb to Cleveland, Nelson to Denver, Allen to Buffalo (from Indianapolis), James to Tampa Bay, Roquan Smith to Chicago, Denzel Ward to San Francisco, McGlinchey to Oakland, Edmunds to Miami, Fitzpatrick to Indianapolis (received from Buffalo), Vea to Washington, Jaire Alexander to Green Bay, Rosen to Arizona, Lamar Jackson to Baltimore, Payne to LA Chargers, Davenport to Seattle, Sutton to Dallas, Landry to Detroit, Ragnow to Cincinnati, Wynn to Indianapolis (received from Buffalo), Kolton Miller to New England, Ridley to Carolina, Rashaan Evans to Tennessee, Taven Bryan to Atlanta, DJ Moore to New Orleans, Michel to Pittsburgh, Hurst to Jacksonville, Hernandez to Minneapolis, James Daniels to New England, Guice to Philadelphia.

I like a lot about this mock, particularly Lamar Jackson to the Ravens has the potential to be a hell of a lot of fun. The only problem I have with it though is that I anticipate there being a hell of a lot more trades on the night than just Bills/Colts, if for no other reason than the pure depth of this draft class going into the second (and third) days.

• Like 1

5 QBs go top 10. Teams aren't going to sit and wait for their guy.  No way any of them get to the Ravens.

But yay for Draft day! All I want is this Barkely hype be a smokescreen and come out with a QB not names Allen!

• Admin

Turns out that high school Josh Allen was a bit of a racist on Twitter:

On the eve on the NFL draft, offensive tweets from a potential No. 1 pick, Josh Allen, surfaced on social media.

The former Wyoming quarterback acknowledged the tweets to ESPN's Stephen A. Smith late Wednesday night and apologized, saying he was young and dumb.

The tweets no longer appear on Allen's account. However, they contained racial slurs and other offensive language, according to reporting by Yahoo! Sports.

The tweets cited by Yahoo! Sports were sent in 2012 and 2013, when Allen was in high school.

Allen is ranked as the top quarterback in the draft, according to ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr., and is projected by many to be selected by the Cleveland Browns with the first overall pick.

A team with a top-five draft pick told ESPN's Adam Schefter they knew nothing about the tweets and that they "never heard heard anything but positives" about Allen.

Fully prepared to just let out a big sigh when the Giants' selection of Barkley is announced.  I don't think they'll be as abysmal as a year ago, but they're a 3-13 team going into a brutal schedule with a new coach, a brand new defensive scheme, a patchwork O-line, and a 37 year old QB.  They're going to win 5-7 games next year at best.....and I'm okay with that as long as they make the right moves to set themselves up to make a run in 2019.  Opting for the flashy pick at a position easily filled later in the draft instead of securing their future QB and banking on an Eli and a guy who didn't take a single NFL snap in a lost season feels like it could torpedo them for years to come.

If and when they take Barkley, he needs to get 2,000 yards from scrimmage and a dozen or so TDs every year he's here to be worth the pick they're using on him.  And if one of the QBs the Giants passed on ends up being great, it still wasn't the right pick.

35 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

I know it's Draft Day but Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan wants to buy Wembley Stadium. Accelerating the NFL London franchise?

Not sure how I feel about this.

I unfortunately have school tonight :-( normally i'd just bring headphones and have one earbud in to watch the draft but I am student teaching tonight so that's not a possibility.

Does anyone know somewhere that the draft in it's entirety will be available to watch later? I have xfinity but I don't think the draft is something they put 'on demand' after it's over. Not sure if anyone knows of a way I can watch it about 2-3 hours after it ended.