2018 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

15 minutes ago, Lineker said:

@Meacxico Paxton isn't making this roster.

But what did Meacon think of this highly touted QB during the 2016 NFL Draft?!

I predict that Paxton Lynch is going to slide quite a bit tonight. Hopefully he's gone before Denver though. That boy ain't gonna make it as a pro

Elway was a trillion times better QB than me, but damn if I can’t spot ‘em better. :( 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Meacxico said:

But what did Meacon think of this highly touted QB during the 2016 NFL Draft?!

Elway was a trillion times better QB than me, but damn if I can’t spot ‘em better. :( 

Hey thanks for keeping us from drafting him!  We almost traded back into the first to do it too.

• Sad 1

Are there different formations in American football? I don't mean the plays like the Hail Mary or the Dog Sausage play but like in real football where you have 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or what have you.

Not taking the piss, just interested.

Yeah you can have a vast array of formations with different numbers of players in different positions. Only 6 of the offence can be eligible recievers of a forward pass however, that's the limitation. Patriots would run a lot of 3 tight end sets for example.

Defenses have a big variety too but they'll usually be a base 4-3 (4 down lineman and 3 linebackers) or  vice versa, a 3-4. There's situational variations too like Nickelback formation which has an additional (5th) DB in on the play. There's far too many to even get into but the information is all out there if you're interested.

It's really interesting and strategic, I love the game!

57 minutes ago, Meacxico said:

Saquon Barkley “tweaked” his leg in practice today because the Sports Gods want @Busch Luck Fale to just give up on everything he loves.

If he goes down, this team is deader than Elvis.

But I wouldn't even be able to sit here and talk about the Giants having bad luck.  If the Giants want to win they need Barkley and Beckham flying around making defenses look stupid, and they happen to play the two positions that lose multiple marquee players to injury every year.  That strategy was always a risky roll of the dice.

31 minutes ago, TCO said:

Yeah you can have a vast array of formations with different numbers of players in different positions. Only 6 of the offence can be eligible recievers of a forward pass however, that's the limitation. Patriots would run a lot of 3 tight end sets for example.

Defenses have a big variety too but they'll usually be a base 4-3 (4 down lineman and 3 linebackers) or  vice versa, a 3-4. There's situational variations too like Nickelback formation which has an additional (5th) DB in on the play. There's far too many to even get into but the information is all out there if you're interested.

It's really interesting and strategic, I love the game!

There are only 7 players on a team?

3 minutes ago, MDK said:

There are only 7 players on a team?

No 11! There'll typically be 4 defensive backs too along with the 7 mentioned above. 2 Corners and 2 Safetys. The corners will almost always line up out wide against the wide recievers and the safetys provide deep coverage/pass rushing. A team would typically drop a linebacker in favour of an additional defensive back in obvious passing situations or with a long distance to go for a first down.

The base defenses are named after the split of linebackers and down lineman, 4-3 or 3-4. That's a simplistic overview, it goes way in-depth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4–3_defense

5 minutes ago, TCO said:

No 11! There'll typically be 4 defensive backs too along with the 7 mentioned above. 2 Corners and 2 Safetys. The corners will almost always line up out wide against the wide recievers and the safetys provide deep coverage/pass rushing. A team would typically drop a linebacker in favour of an additional defensive back in obvious passing situations or with a long distance to go for a first down. 

The base defenses are named after the split of linebackers and down lineman, 4-3 or 3-4. That's a simplistic overview, it goes way in-depth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4–3_defense

I've seen that before in video games but is that common?