2018 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

Meh, not really.  Barring injury to other players he was likely to be used as a #4 or #5 CB this year while he adjusted to the NFL level.  I didn't see him being a contributor until 2019, which is where they surrendered their draft pick.  As it is this is basically now just a redshirt year.

Suggestions for the clubhouse name have been wonderful:

Johnny Vanziel
Vanny Testaverde
Tyrod Trailer
Winnebaker Mayfield
RV3
Peyton Vanning
Brady Quinnebago 
Patrick Mobilehomes

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Maxx said:

Suggestions for the clubhouse name have been wonderful:

Johnny Vanziel
Vanny Testaverde
Tyrod Trailer
Winnebaker Mayfield
RV3
Peyton Vanning
Brady Quinnebago 
Patrick Mobilehomes

Sign on the RV door

il_fullxfull.1238683168_piem.jpg

15 hours ago, Busch Luck Fale said:

Meh, not really.  Barring injury to other players he was likely to be used as a #4 or #5 CB this year while he adjusted to the NFL level.  I didn't see him being a contributor until 2019, which is where they surrendered their draft pick.  As it is this is basically now just a redshirt year.

It's a pun, don't take it so seriously. :P

I'm not even a Cleveland Brown fan and I'm tired of the "Cleveland should be better this year...because you can't get worse than 0-16 har har har!" jokes. I expect it from blog writers and twitterfolk who aren't "legit" sports writers, but I've seen it in quite a few "real" articles too. It's more funny that these people think they're being funny than the actual 'joke' that they're saying. 

That said, I can honestly say this is the least excited I've ever been for the NFL season. I don't know if the Eagles winning it all has killed my joy, or if all the criminal activity has, or if it's just the bottom of my rapidly declining interest. I've said for over a decade now that I much prefer college to pro football, but I don't even think I'll spend my free time on Sundays watching this season. Maybe I'll have a change of heart when things get going, but right now I'm at 100% college and 0% NFL. 

Last season was my personal low point as a Giants fan.  Atrocious team, a million injuries, Ben McAdoo, the Eli benching fiasco, and my most hated team winning it all against a team I was sick of.  I had the Super Bowl on for the whole game but barely actually watched any of it, I was totally apathetic to it which is the first time in my life I've been like that during a Super Bowl.

Despite all of that, I'm still excited for the season even though I don't expect much from the Giants.  I obviously hate all of the bullshit that goes on with the league's lack of disciplinary action, and the anthem stuff is clearly going to be in the headlines every week again and be exhausting.  But at the end of the day, I love football and spending most Sundays watching the games with either my dad or my grandmother is something I've always done.  No matter how much the Giants may stress us out, it's a family bonding activity for us and I want to enjoy that while I can.

The Browns going 1-31 over two years is a seriously impressive feat though. With a hard cap, free agency their haul of draft picks with favourable rookie contracts and general parity in the NFL, it's crazy to think they win only 1 game out of 32. The league just isn't built for a team to be that shit for that length of time. Like look how quickly the Lions improved with their years of top 5 picks in a division with Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre in it.

The level of ineptitude there is unforgivable and it's a disgrace that Hue Jackson is still in a job. 

I have an interest in playing fantasy, the Ravens, and catching the thrilling final minutes of games around 3:45 and 6:45 on Sundays. And that might be it? NFL is just a brutal league to support as much as I love so many of the guys who play in it. Just so many factors, even without the entire disgusting nature of Goodell, Jerry Jones, their handling of domestic violence, their handling of Kaepernick, etc., it's not that exciting of a league. It's so manufactured, the games are sloppy for the first 4 weeks, then you get 8 weeks of byes, and then when it finally could be exciting half the teams are out and half the star players are injured.

College Saturdays and the college season just don't suffer from that. There will be one week where the best matchup is between two 2-loss teams w/o any real rivalry, but for the most part every week brings something to the table. There are a ton of the same problems with the NCAA that exist in the NFL, but if I'm gonna have to hold my nose for some football it is absolutely gonna be on Saturdays.

Really though, fall Saturdays are just the very best. Wake up and watch the Premier League, in the afternoon have my pick of other European leagues usually as well as at least two or three intriguing college football games, then in the evening I have baseball, playoff baseball in October, and the primetime college games. Just the very best.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

I have an interest in playing fantasy, the Ravens, and catching the thrilling final minutes of games around 3:45 and 6:45 on Sundays. And that might be it? NFL is just a brutal league to support as much as I love so many of the guys who play in it. Just so many factors, even without the entire disgusting nature of Goodell, Jerry Jones, their handling of domestic violence, their handling of Kaepernick, etc., it's not that exciting of a league. It's so manufactured, the games are sloppy for the first 4 weeks, then you get 8 weeks of byes, and then when it finally could be exciting half the teams are out and half the star players are injured.

College Saturdays and the college season just don't suffer from that. There will be one week where the best matchup is between two 2-loss teams w/o any real rivalry, but for the most part every week brings something to the table. There are a ton of the same problems with the NCAA that exist in the NFL, but if I'm gonna have to hold my nose for some football it is absolutely gonna be on Saturdays.

Really though, fall Saturdays are just the very best. Wake up and watch the Premier League, in the afternoon have my pick of other European leagues usually as well as at least two or three intriguing college football games, then in the evening I have baseball, playoff baseball in October, and the primetime college games. Just the very best.

Plus early season means I can still trick myself into thinking Notre Dame has a shot at the national title! That’s the best feeling. :( 

• Haha 2