NFL 2019

Maxx

4 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Who is their QB now?

Luke Falk.  6th round pick last year, just signed off the practice squad today.

On WFAN today they were pretty much lamenting about how terrible of a year it’s going to be to have to cover football in the NY market.  Week 2 and football season is already over.

Myles Garrett working to make sure Luke Falk doesn’t make it through the game either

Hoping this means Gase pulls Cutler out of retirement again

I really hope Buffalo is halfway decent, because it's gonna be a while before there's a watchable Patriots game otherwise.

Jets twice, at Buffalo, at Washington, Giants.  The Pats gonna be favored by double digits in all those except maybe Buffalo.  Blowout wins are boring.  I fell asleep during the second half yesterday.

Pat Shurmur said in his postgame press conference yesterday that it wasn't yet time to consider a quarterback change.  This morning?  He said it was certainly fair to consider moving to Jones, refused to commit to another start for Eli and said a final decision will be made by Wednesday.

My guess before the season was that Jones' first start would come Week 7 at home against the Cardinals.  The Giants will have been coming off of a Thursday night trouncing in New England and he'd have had extra time to prepare.  Never thought they'd potentially make the move this soon, but if they do it it's the right call.  It's not like a QB move is going to change the fact that the defense is horrendous...but it's flat out impossible for an Eli-led team to make up any sort of substantial deficit.  He can't extend plays and doesn't have any more arm strength, and as a result the passing game is one-dimensional.  Every 3rd and long is a check-down pass well behind the sticks.  Teams can focus entirely on stopping Barkley, and then when they fall behind by a few scores they can't even use Barkley...meaning their #2 pick from last year is incredibly limited in the impact he can actually make.

By no means will Daniel Jones magically make the defense play better.  Hell with the current state of the receivers, I don't know he'll have anyone to throw to.  But there's absolutely zero upside to continuing to throw Eli out there.  If the team is going to suck regardless, you may as well see as much of Jones as you can.  Honestly I think Shurmur and Dave Gettleman would've preferred to straight up release Eli after the draft and avoid any QB controversy, but John Mara's unending love for Eli overruled them.

Another interesting thing about the potential timing of this move is that after the latest loss, Eli fell to .500 for his career as a starter.  Ever since winning his second ring, "is Eli a Hall of Famer?" always seems to cause heated debate online.  And so the prospect of him closing out with a .500 record feels like the most fitting thing ever.

I don't think there's much of a chance of the Giants finishing anywhere other than the basement in the NFC East, no matter who their QB is. The Redskins could finish at the bottom, but right now they're playing better on offense than the Giants.

I was hoping the Ravens would make a move for Fitzpatrick or Ramsey but with the Steelers giving up a possible top 10 pick for Fitzpatrick (all comes down to how Mason Rudolph is) I think they're out on a Ramsey trade. Kinda sucks, they're a little thin at CB on account of Jimmy Smith's injury.